The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At least two of Cambridge/Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham. Yes, you are going to be competing against many applicants who have more A*s but that doesn't mean you can't get a place. Concentrate on getting straight As at AS (with high UMS if you go for Cambridge), the best predictions possible for A-level, and then writing a solid personal statement, then you'll have a reasonable chance at any of the top universities. :smile:
No. UCL, Durham, Nottingham etc. But, you still have a shot at LSE/Cambridge and if you take a Gap year and apply after results then you get even more of a chance.
alex_hk90
Concentrate on getting straight As at AS (with high UMS if you go for Cambridge

She is doing the IB and only has predictions.
Reply 43
My friend got **** GCSEs and got accepted to Warwick. Also got a 3 in Math Higher (IB). He had a really good personal statement though and work experience so that had to count for something I guess!
Annoying-Mouse
She is doing the IB and only has predictions.

Oops, didn't realise. :o: In that case will need predictions in excess of 40 with 7 in HL Maths or whatever it's called.
LSE/Cambridge
Reply 46
I got into LSE for Econ with 7A* at GCSE and without further maths! The main thing in my opinion is to do really well at AS and with your subject combination, getting 90% in all your modules will give you a fantastic chance. Also get that personal statement perfected. However, it is still a lottery. I know people with 12A*s who got rejected from LSE so just concentrate on doing really well at AS and have a go! Just don't have any regrets by aiming too low :smile:
Reply 47
invictus_veritas
yes you are very competitive i.e. they're probably about average for someone that gets in for economics at both universities, but think about doing 5 AS levels and at least 4A2s including maths and further maths. Your subject combination is very important. A good combination is maths further maths economics and history, then if you can take a fifth subject consider a foreign language or physics/ chemistry. Also take as many statistics modules as possible.

You should be very competitive with those GCSEs, just don't let yourself down by choosing silly A levels and also read up about economics a lot so that you can write a decent personal statement and you know you actually want to study it!

Good luck!

OP, this.
Reply 48
Let's put it his way. PaulWhy (probably) put 9A* because the average applicant has them. Does not mean that you can't get in with 6.

I suggest that you first decide on strong AS subjects and do well in your AS next summer and then ask again next summer with AS results.

But to put your mind at rest, 6 are defo good for econ with/and , and even for straight economics (depending on AS subjects and scores and PS) good enough. Don't worry!

Edit: Just saw the spoiler. I had a very similar IB combination :smile: same HL subjects and for SL I had physics not chem and french not spanish! So those are good subjects! I still think you have a chance, even if you can't possibly impress them with good AS results. Instead make sure you have great predictions, you will need 7 predicted HL maths (if you are like my school you will think its impossbile, but really with hard work it's doable, three in my year did and one just narrowly missed it. and we were only 20 doing it so quite high % really). and overall 40+ with at least 2 7's at HL. Good luck!

Edit 2: Im at LSE with 6.5 A* (1 in short course P.E. :biggrin: ) and a C in Music (lol!)so I think if you are planning on possibly taking a gap year anyway you can be aggressive and apply to warwick ucl lse oxbridge and one other of your liking.
Reply 49
darrold
I got into LSE for Econ with 7A* at GCSE and without further maths! The main thing in my opinion is to do really well at AS and with your subject combination, getting 90% in all your modules will give you a fantastic chance. Also get that personal statement perfected. However, it is still a lottery. I know people with 12A*s who got rejected from LSE so just concentrate on doing really well at AS and have a go! Just don't have any regrets by aiming too low :smile:

LSE Can't see your module UMS/% can they?
Reply 50
darrold

Outsanity

No. But you can get your reference to mention them if they're good - that's what I did. :yep:
Reply 52
Outsanity

No but my tutor put it in my reference :smile:
Reply 53
I did 2 edits to my post :biggrin:
Reply 54
darrold
No but my tutor put it in my reference :smile:

I like that idea. :smile: Cheers.
See how your IB goes first, I take it you're going to do History and Economics at HL? If you get 6/7 it will make your GCSE results obselete in a way. Now GCSE seems the most important thing, but once you get your IB/A level results they won't matter. It's the same at uni, once you get your degree, no one will care what GCSEs or A levels/IB results you got.

Just try and work really hard with your IB, especially History and Economics (and just so you know, History is a ***** to revise and I only did SL, start revising early!) Also, I think universities do take the predicted grades seriously, they just have to trust the school. If you're applying to good universities and say you're boarder line 5/6 in a subject, hopefully your school will be nice and predict you a 6 instead of a 5. If you're worried about the predicted grades, talk to your teacher, I did with my Spanish and persuaded her to prediect me a 6 instead of a 5.

EDIT: Saw further up that you were considering 4 HL subjects, please don't do it! IB is hard at the best of times, the last thing you need is extra work! Also, have you checked the university websites to see what grades they are looking for? I'm going to Warwick this October to do Biology and they only wanted BBB or 32 IB points, which is very low for such a good university. They did explain though that they only really gave offers to people predicted higher. This was probably to pick up the Oxbridge rejects.
Reply 56
I got into Warwick with 7 A* GCSE so it can be done. The process isn't hugely transparent but I'd hazard a guess that taking 4 strong a-levels including further maths would give you a strong chance.
I wouldn't like to say about the B, I don't think they really should mind. Do you know how much you were off an A? Have you thought about a remark? I got a B in my English Language at GCSE and that was a shock, I got it remarked and I ended up with an A. You could always retake the exam you did worst in too; there's no exams in the first year of IB, so although it will take up time when you should be doing your EE and coursework, it's not like retaking a GCSE exam will get in the way of AS exams. I would try and go for the remark though, cos I don't think universities look too fondly on retakes, even if you end up getting an A the second time round; that's what I heard anyway, but maybe that's just Oxbridge.

If you're unsure about anything, don't hesitate to email any of the universities. I found myself emailing almost every one, cos I didn't take Chemistry at IB and that was sometimes a requierment for a Biology degree. Also, all these people saying "I only got 6A*s and I got into Warwick", I got 3A*s and 7As (after my English remark) and I got in, and I've already mentioned my brother who even got 4Cs at GCSE.

Good luck.
Reply 58
thegenius31416
Just got my GCSE results and I underperformed a bit. I should have got 9A*s and 2As (with A in Add Maths) but I ended up getting 7A*s and 4As (with A in Add Maths).

My question is: Since Warwick and LSE are now asking for so many A*s (according to this forum, 9), how badly will my chances at these universities be affected by the fact that I have not quite achieved the number of A*s they seem to be looking for?

Thanks.

Please read my sticky threads.

7 GSCE A*s is very good. Just that Econ at the top places is crazily crazily competitive. And there will be applicants with even more! In practice it is very hard to decide who to make offers to:
i)Only Oxbridge Interview
ii)lots of applicants that have all grade A at AS-level and grade A predictions at A2.
iii)Most Econ PS are weak. (But read the Good Econ PS guide to try make yours an exception).

Hence often GCSEs end up being important. But it is certainly not as simple as unis only looking at GCSE A*s. e.g. they do look at other factors and a number of unis are holistic.

I don't know what your AS subjects are. and it is very early to think about uni applications. But I would suggest:
2 Top 5
2 Top 6-11
1 AAB.2.1 safety
Reply 59
I got in for PPE at warwick with 3 A*s and 8As at GCSE, don't worry yours are completely fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending