The Student Room Group

Oxford Classics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

LMH have given me an interview :smile:. We shall see how this goes. Tuesday 7th- Thursday 9th of December.
Reply 41
Original post by big-bang-theory
LMH have given me an interview :smile:. We shall see how this goes. Tuesday 7th- Thursday 9th of December.

Wow, congrats from me :wink:
Good luck!

Congratulations! But shouldn't the interview be until 10th December?
Original post by Sempiternitas
Congratulations! But shouldn't the interview be until 10th December?

Definitely required till the 9th, possibly required till the 10th. But my letter says different colleges vary in procedure.
Definitely required till the 9th, possibly required till the 10th. But my letter says different colleges vary in procedure.

I'm staying until the eleventh. (Just because I can!) Can't wait to get to Oxford.
I'm staying until the eleventh. (Just because I can!) Can't wait to get to Oxford.

Oxford is a gorgeous place, I exploit any and all opportunities to stay in it for as long as humanly possible. Hell I had a day trip to Oxford and met some friends up there just to hand my essays in :P.
Reply 46

Oxford is a gorgeous place, I exploit any and all opportunities to stay in it for as long as humanly possible. Hell I had a day trip to Oxford and met some friends up there just to hand my essays in :P.

Bring warm clothes! It's been freezing this past week and college rooms aren't always the warmest...
Reply 47
Does anyone know how much they take in account the translation test for Classics I ?
Reply 48
Original post by Jopipa1
Does anyone know how much they take in account the translation test for Classics I ?

Not really, but on the Open Day the tutors said it was rather to see what level you are in the language so they know that they put you in the right course I/II if you're offered a place. Seems a bit odd, though, as it's called an admissions test and they do it now and not when you actually arrive to start your degree.
Maybe it's a mixture of both. I think it's definitely not the most important part.
Reply 49
Original post by Jopipa1

Original post by Sappho
Not really, but on the Open Day the tutors said it was rather to see what level you are in the language so they know that they put you in the right course I/II if you're offered a place. Seems a bit odd, though, as it's called an admissions test and they do it now and not when you actually arrive to start your degree.
Maybe it's a mixture of both. I think it's definitely not the most important part.

To an extent it depends on your circumstances and at which college you are interviewed. If you are applying for IA, for example, and have been at a very good school for Classics and you come 80th you would have to perform phenomenally at the interview, but if you'd been self-taught that would be taken into consideration. Ultimately they are not so worried about the vocabulary (although I would strongly recommend you learn as much as you can beyond the AS vocab lists before the tests) but more about how you are thinking - if you are mistranslating the subject as the object and giving the wrong tense of the verb then that will not look so good.

It is not however just a language level for classes when you arrive - it is one method of discrimination so they know who are the strongest classicists, especially as Mods is so language-based and you spend a lot of time building up your translation abilities and knowledge of grammar. It would be a mistake merely to see it as something to be stored away for later perusal. They actively consider it along with written work, interview and predicted grades as part of your application, and at some colleges it is probably equally important with the interview, or just below it.
Reply 50
Original post by EdmundB
To an extent it depends on your circumstances and at which college you are interviewed. If you are applying for IA, for example, and have been at a very good school for Classics and you come 80th you would have to perform phenomenally at the interview, but if you'd been self-taught that would be taken into consideration. Ultimately they are not so worried about the vocabulary (although I would strongly recommend you learn as much as you can beyond the AS vocab lists before the tests) but more about how you are thinking - if you are mistranslating the subject as the object and giving the wrong tense of the verb then that will not look so good.

It is not however just a language level for classes when you arrive - it is one method of discrimination so they know who are the strongest classicists, especially as Mods is so language-based and you spend a lot of time building up your translation abilities and knowledge of grammar. It would be a mistake merely to see it as something to be stored away for later perusal. They actively consider it along with written work, interview and predicted grades as part of your application, and at some colleges it is probably equally important with the interview, or just below it.

Yeah, I pretty much thought so. I'm not so much worried about grammatical errors in my translation because I know my grammar, I'm more worried about the vocab because we don't translate without a dictionary in Croatia :s-smilie: I've got my Croatian vocab list that I've translated into Englush, do you maybe know where I cuold get an Latin-English and/or Greek-English A-level vobulary (if there is such a thing :tongue:) ?
Reply 51
Original post by Jopipa1
Yeah, I pretty much thought so. I'm not so much worried about grammatical errors in my translation because I know my grammar, I'm more worried about the vocab because we don't translate without a dictionary in Croatia :s-smilie: I've got my Croatian vocab list that I've translated into Englush, do you maybe know where I cuold get an Latin-English and/or Greek-English A-level vobulary (if there is such a thing :tongue:) ?

I saw this some time ago, I hope it's helpful for you: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_13557_sm_gce_unit_f371_voc_list.pdf

:smile:

edit: And this is the Latin one: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_13556_sm_gce_unit_f361_voc_list.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52

Thanks!!! I'll take all the help I can get :biggrin:
Reply 53
I'm so glad I've found this thread! I'm really excited about studying classics, even though I've never done it before (right now it's only a hobby :wink: ), but also a little nervous because I'm applying for Course II and know nearly nothing about Latin... Do you think I'll have a Language interview if I get called for interviews =, or will they just not bother since I've never studied it before?
Reply 54
Original post by TurnerE
I'm so glad I've found this thread! I'm really excited about studying classics, even though I've never done it before (right now it's only a hobby :wink: ), but also a little nervous because I'm applying for Course II and know nearly nothing about Latin... Do you think I'll have a Language interview if I get called for interviews =, or will they just not bother since I've never studied it before?

In my letter it said that Classics I and II candidates will have the same kinds of interviews. But that might be just for my college (Merton).
Original post by TurnerE

All course II candidates get a language specific interview I think. They need to check you'll be competent to handle the language. Don't worry I'll be in the same boat as you though I'm going for Greek rather than Latin :tongue:.
Reply 56
Original post by Sappho
In my letter it said that Classics I and II candidates will have the same kinds of interviews. But that might be just for my college (Merton).

Oh, okay, not sure how to prepare for it, then....

All course II candidates get a language specific interview I think. They need to check you'll be competent to handle the language. Don't worry I'll be in the same boat as you though I'm going for Greek rather than Latin :tongue:.

Glad to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me :smile: Which college are you applying to? What made you apply for Greek instead of Latin?
Original post by TurnerE
Glad to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me :smile: Which college are you applying to? What made you apply for Greek instead of Latin?

Lady Margaret Hall. I'm more interested in Greek History and Literature. Furthermore Greek was still an intellectual language (especially in the East) throughout the Roman empire. It seemed the logical choice. If all goes according to plan I should be A level standard linguistically by the time I start anyway. The goal is translate the Bacchae by the end of the year.
Reply 58
Original post by TurnerE
Oh, okay, not sure how to prepare for it, then....

There are examples of the LAT (language aptitude test) online, a quick google will find them. It'll be a made up language and you'll have to extrapolate the grammar based on examples given, amongst other things.

Two services and six hours of singing today. At least there's no essay for 8th week, only textual commentaries :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by EdmundB
There are examples of the LAT (language aptitude test) online, a quick google will find them. It'll be a made up language and you'll have to extrapolate the grammar based on examples given, amongst other things.

Two services and six hours of singing today. At least there's no essay for 8th week, only textual commentaries :biggrin:

I've already taken the LAT... is that what they'll ask me about at the language interview, do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending