The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends on the university and the degree. Generally the honours bit means you got a certain grade or higher in a certain amount of courses.
Reply 2
BA (hons) tends to be a year longer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
(You)
BA (hons) tends to be a year longer.

Erm....no. Not really. You're thinking of "undergraduate masters" there (e.g. MEng. MSci). You study a four year degree, the usual three year undergraduate degree and then a masters year.

A BA (Hons) is an honours degree. They are classified as a first, 2:1, 2:2 or third.

For many graduate jobs and postgraduate an honours degree at 2:1 or above is required (although 2:2s can sometimes be accepted by certain employers or universities).

A BA is an ordrinary degree without a classification.

They usually take the same time to complete.

You will usually need to pass a higher number of credits in order to get the honours degree. Someone with an ordinary degree has usually failed a module or two.

But this can vary across universities.
Reply 4
Just what an admissions person told me :dontknow:
(You)
Just what an admissions person told me :dontknow:

Yes, that's how it works in Scotland where degrees are meant to be four years. My mum has an MA (from Aberdeen), but no honours because she only did three years.
I was told the hons is your dissertation, therefore if you don't want to do the dissertation then you will lose the hons and just have a BA. I was told this by my seminar teacher.
Reply 7
Smack
Yes, that's how it works in Scotland where degrees are meant to be four years. My mum has an MA (from Aberdeen), but no honours because she only did three years.

Oh yeah, in Scotland this is the case. But the use of "BA" (as opposed to MA) made me think of the English/Welsh/Northern Irish system.

[QUOTE='rach [shikari]']I was told the hons is your dissertation, therefore if you don't want to do the dissertation then you will lose the hons and just have a BA. I was told this by my seminar teacher.

It usuallys mean that someone awarded an ordinary degree has passed fewer than, say, 360 credits (the usual amount of credits in a full honours degree).

But about opting out of the dissertation is probably specific to your university.
Reply 8
Smack

Yup, my mate Tony wanted to go study Physics at Edinburgh university, so he got his qualifications and off he went but his marks at uni weren't that good so he had to leave after 3rd year with only a BSc.

Don't feel sorry for him, Smack - it was his own fault. :sadnod: :nopity:

BSc (Hons) = 4 years.
BSc = 3 years

I'm with you. :smile:

Toby was my friend, but not after that. We went wayyyy back though, like to Primary school.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
(You)
BSc (Hons) = 4 years.
BSc = 3 years

Yes, in most of the Scottish universities (certainly the ancients), but not elsewhere in the UK. Even then it's not a BSc (or BA) but an MSc (or MA).

I thought you were referring to the entire UK.
Reply 10
Thanks! :smile:
[QUOTE='rach [shikari]']I was told the hons is your dissertation, therefore if you don't want to do the dissertation then you will lose the hons and just have a BA. I was told this by my seminar teacher.

That is what I was told when at uni too.
River85

A BA (Hons) is an honours degree. They are classified as a first, 2:1, 2:2 or third.

I didn't realise a Third was an honours degree. Thank you for informing me of that. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending