The Student Room Group

What's the difference between 'BScEcon', 'BSc (Hons) and BA(Hons)?

So I am studying my first year in BScEcon Economics and Finance and I just happened to notice the 'BScEcon' part of my degree title, whats the difference between this to BSc (hons) and BA(hons)?
Is the degree like useless or worthless if it states 'BScEcon' because there are practically less degrees that has this title in the UK...There are more BSc (hons) and BA (hons) degree titles in the UK, which probably makes it more worthy.
I'm not questioning my degree, I just want to understand what the people's perspective on this and whether employers care about it or not. I think it doesn't matter really but, just want to see other's perspective.
Thanks in advance
Irrelevant really, the content of the degrees could be identical.
Reply 2
At my place the BSc is far more heavily maths-y and has a heavy component of compulsory units across all three years in things like Micro, Macro, Econometrics and Math Econ.

The BA doesn't tend to make any of this compulsory, and instead allows a more 'humantites' type pathway, and so is in principle a little bit more versatile on the student's side. It is also less valuable for employers who care more about quant skills.

This isn't a hard and fast rule but it generally does stick for places that offer both BA and BSc.

In terms of your course, it just looks like a shorthand abbreviation to me, and it doesn't necessarily imply anything at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending