The Student Room Group

The big wikileaks thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
You say blacklist like it's possible to take Wikileaks off the internet.

Wikileaks is often down for lengthy periods. The US encouraged companies such as mastercard and paypal to stop doing business with them. And many servers were discouraged from hosting Wikileaks. It is very much possible to put in place a cyber siege against a website, and i think cablegate was just an experiment to see if this was possible.
Original post by garethDT
Wikileaks is often down for lengthy periods. The US encouraged companies such as mastercard and paypal to stop doing business with them. And many servers were discouraged from hosting Wikileaks. It is very much possible to put in place a cyber siege against a website, and i think cablegate was just an experiment to see if this was possible.

You can DDOS any website though, it doesn't take a genius to do it. 4chan done it successfully to a few sites a while back.
Replacements will happen irrespective of whether a cybersiege takes place or not.

Exactly, as stated there, wikileaks is under attack. The US is taking its first steps into cyberwar in trying to combat free speech on the internet by discrediting any site which exposes them. I bet there are millions of Americans who now think that it is unpatriotic to go on wikileaks and that people who do are enemies of the state.

Original post by G8D
That is an awful 'shop.

Yeah I agree with that :biggrin:
Reply 704
Egypt - Evidence of torture and repression by Mubarak´s Police

http://wikileaks.ch/Evidence-of-torture-and-repression.html
Original post by Guvnor

Original post by Guvnor
Egypt - Evidence of torture and repression by Mubarak´s Police

http://wikileaks.ch/Evidence-of-torture-and-repression.html

Wikileaks just publish things their not in favour of anything :biggrin:
Reply 706
Julian Assange extradition hearing live updates

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/feb/07/assange-extradition-hearing
Reply 707
12.30pm summary: Opening arguments were this morning made in the hearing over whether Julian Assange will be extradited to Sweden over three charges of sexual assault against one woman and one of rape, against another.

Clare Montgomery QC, acting for the Crown, began her opening argument disputing two of the defence's key legal arguments - that the Swedish prosecutor, Marianne Ny, was not authorised to issue a European arrest warrant against Assange, and that the case was not "extraditable" because of differences between English and Swedish definitions of rape. She said both the alleged rape and three counts of sexual assault were without consent and also offences under English law.

Geoffrey Robertson, QC, acting for the defence, argued that none of the three sexual assault allegations state there was no consent and that all happened within the context of consensual sex. On the rape allegations, he said what Swedish law called "minor rape" was not regarded as rape in other jurisdictions since it did not involve coercion, force or a lack of consent. He described "minor rape" as "a contradiction in terms".

Robertson also said Assange would not receive a fair trial in Sweden. He said the lack of public or press access to Swedish rape trials meant Assange would be denied a fair trial and the WikiLeaks founder would furthermore be subject to "trial by media". He said Claes Borgström, the Swedish lawyer representing the two complainants, had villified Assange and would be in jail for contempt of court if he was in the UK.

Montgomery addressed another key defence argument in her opening. The defence has said the European arrest warrant cannot be used for questioning, but she said the warrant brought against Assange "clearly denotes a sufficient intention to prosecute" and the fact that questioning may be required does not undermine its main purpose. Robertson disputed that it could be a prosecting warrant when Assange had been interrogated with no charges brought.
Original post by GwrxVurfer

Original post by GwrxVurfer
I don't want Wikileaks to be in the position where they are forced to release the key, but you do wonder what is inside that insurance file.....

Whats the sit with wiki any updates? :biggrin:
Original post by jakemittle
"One of the conditions for the original bail, granted on Tuesday, is Assange reporting to a police station in Bungay, Suffolk, every day at 6pm.

It turns out that there isn't a police station in Bungay and the nearest police station is Beccles which is only open between 2pm and 5pm and closed over much of Christmas."

There is a police station in bungay, i lived near it for about 5 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending