The Student Room Group

2011 Graduate Entry Medicine Applicants - Interviews, Offers etc.

Okay so this is my first action on TSR after being a mere onlooker for a while I'm taking the plunge into the TSR pool of knowledge. Other than the "TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society!" which I find quite hard to sift through there aren't really any other threads which really are for the 2011 Graduates so I though I might as well make one.

So this is just an easier way to find out/ help others who are in the 2011 Graduate Medicine Application route too. For example cut off scores when they are released which I think a few have done already.

So for me:
Warwick
Nottingham
St. George's
Peninsula (5 year)

GAMSAT: 67 (thank god)
UKCAT: 675

Yet to hear back from any after the GAMSAT results were released on Monday.

Scroll to see replies

Warwick
Kings
Imperial
Leicester (5yr)

Nothing but acknowledgements so far.
Reply 2
Thank you kindly!

I have applied to GEM for
Warwick
Barts
Imperial

And nothing back yet.
Newcastle (5 year) - interviewed 26/11.
Glasgow (5 year) - interview 8/12.
Leicester (GEM) - acknowledged.
Warwick (GEM) - acknowledged.
Original post by Happy Insomniac
Newcastle (5 year) - interviewed 26/11.
Glasgow (5 year) - interview 8/12.
Leicester (GEM) - acknowledged.
Warwick (GEM) - acknowledged.

would you mind telling us a bit about your academics and work exp/volunteering? Since you have 2/4 interviews already, I'm sure your profile would be very helpful for other graduates applying :-)
Reply 5
Imperial (GEM) - interviewed 24/11
Warwick (GEM) - acknowledged
Swansea (GEM) - acknowledged
Peninsula (5 year) - acknowledged
Original post by annaroberts20
would you mind telling us a bit about your academics and work exp/volunteering? Since you have 2/4 interviews already, I'm sure your profile would be very helpful for other graduates applying :-)

Sure. I have a biosciences degree and I'm a current masters student.
I've worked on an NHS acute & elderly ward as an HCA for close to 2 years (full time up until september, part time since starting grad school) and work for NHS Professionals so I do bank shifts on loads of different wards.
No volunteering or anything like that.
UKCAT 677.5.
Sure. I have a biosciences degree and I'm a current masters student.
I've worked on an NHS acute & elderly ward as an HCA for close to 2 years (full time up until september, part time since starting grad school) and work for NHS Professionals so I do bank shifts on loads of different wards.
No volunteering or anything like that.
UKCAT 677.5.

Your work experience sounds very impressive, especially for somewhere like Leicester which insists on paid work experience.

May I ask, did you apply after your bachelors or is this your first time applying?

Any advice for the UKCAT? I'm planning to sit it next summer for 2012 cycle hopefully :-)

Good luck with the rest of your application, I'm sure you'll have loads of offers!!
Practice the abstract reasoning! If your like me and just dont the pictures then by practicing them from a book you can pick up general trends ie arrows pointing a direction in a specific colour or number of sides. Also practice quick calculations on an old calculator not a scientific one.
Your work experience sounds very impressive, especially for somewhere like Leicester which insists on paid work experience.

May I ask, did you apply after your bachelors or is this your first time applying?

Any advice for the UKCAT? I'm planning to sit it next summer for 2012 cycle hopefully :-)

Good luck with the rest of your application, I'm sure you'll have loads of offers!!

It's the first time I've applied. Not sure why, really, just never felt ready for the course until now.

Loads of practice is the best advice I've seen. I didn't have time to do much, but I'm sure I'd've done a lot worse without it and a lot better if I'd done more.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but trying not to get my hopes up too much. The odds are pretty low for first time applicants, especially grads. But you never know! Good luck to you too! Are you applying as a graduate?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MoustacheMarvel
Practice the abstract reasoning! If your like me and just dont the pictures then by practicing them from a book you can pick up general trends ie arrows pointing a direction in a specific colour or number of sides. Also practice quick calculations on an old calculator not a scientific one.

Definitely. Lack of practice really buggered me with AR; scored 590. And the few patterns I did spot were entirely from the practice I did do. I dread to think how badly I would have done if I hadn't done any practice questions at all. Thank god for QR and DA; they saved my UKCAT! I'm 100% sure I'd have scored a lot better if I had practiced more.
St George's (GEM) - Interview 10/01
Nottingham (GEM) - Acknowledged
Penninsula 5yr - Acknowledged

GAMSAT 69,73,58 - 64
It's the first time I've applied. Not sure why, really, just never felt ready for the course until now.

Loads of practice is the best advice I've seen. I didn't have time to do much, but I'm sure I'd've done a lot worse without it and a lot better if I'd done more.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but trying not to get my hopes up too much. The odds are pretty low for first time applicants, especially grads. But you never know! Good luck to you too! Are you applying as a graduate?

I don't think the schools care too much whether it's your first application or second or third, they're more interested in whether you fit the criteria which so far you do:-)
It would be graduate entry for me too, hopefully for 2012 cycle! what are you doing your masters in? how are you finding it?

I wonder how the increase in fees from next year is going to affect us grad applicants.
Reply 13
Original post by MoustacheMarvel
Okay so this is my first action on TSR after being a mere onlooker for a while I'm taking the plunge into the TSR pool of knowledge. Other than the "TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society!" which I find quite hard to sift through there aren't really any other threads which really are for the 2011 Graduates so I though I might as well make one.

So this is just an easier way to find out/ help others who are in the 2011 Graduate Medicine Application route too. For example cut off scores when they are released which I think a few have done already.

So for me:
Warwick
Nottingham
St. George's
Peninsula (5 year)

GAMSAT: 67 (thank god)
UKCAT: 675

Yet to hear back from any after the GAMSAT results were released on Monday.

About time this thread was started, rep to you :biggrin:
I don't think the schools care too much whether it's your first application or second or third, they're more interested in whether you fit the criteria which so far you do:-)
It would be graduate entry for me too, hopefully for 2012 cycle! what are you doing your masters in? how are you finding it?

I wonder how the increase in fees from next year is going to affect us grad applicants.

MA is in medical law and ethics. I'm struggling a bit to be honest, 'cause I have absolutely no background in law so I'm having to work quite hard to keep up with the law graduates on the course in addition to working 18 hours a week at the hospital. It's good fun, though, the ethics parts of the course are really interesting!

I'm putting fees out of my mind for now, haha. Where there's a will there's a way, whether it costs 3 grand or 9.
Reply 15
Awesome finally a grad thread -

Applied to
Kings 5 year - interviewed awaiting reply
Barts 4 year - Unsuccessful
Bristol 4 year - acknowledged
Imperial 4 year - acknowledged
UKCAT 665 av
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker :smile:

Kings 4yr - acknowledged
Warwick 4yr - acknowledged
Oxford 4yr - nothing!
Manchester 5yr - Interview next week

Has anyone else applying to Oxford not received an acknowledgement? It seems everyone else applying that I can find has! Also, I know one person has an interview at Oxford, anyone else heard back?
*Cambridge 4 year - unsuccessful
*SGUL GEP - missed GAMSAT cut off so unsuccessful
*Notts GEP - see above
*Soton BM4 - acknowledged and waiting :s

Pretty much accepted the fact that I'll be applying for 2012 entry :smile:
Good place for a first post. :smile:

All GEM:
Barts - acknowledged
Kings - acknowledged
Imperial - acknowledged
Warwick - acknowledged

UKCAT 750

Waiting, but not hoping too much; have very little in terms of caring/medical work experience.
Reply 19
Seems like us grads are finally coming out of lurking and watching the various other threads... haha - that one before was my first post too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending