The Student Room Group

Oxford Applicants : Preparing for the Interview!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TBLAIR
I applied for Maths and stats n doing STEP papers now. But the problem is I cant do anything :cry::cry::cry:
Ppl say doing them will increase ur confidence but it is doing the exact opposite 4 me
had a mock interview n it went terribly :cry::cry::cry:

I don't even look forward to going anymore. It's gonna be so humiliating :cry::cry:

Really don't feel like doing anything now:erm:. good luck 4 every1 else :smile:

Could you tell me which math modules (or whatever) English applicants have done up to the time of interview? I'm an international applicant and would at least like to have a glimpse at the stage of knowledge of the "native" applicants. Thanks :-)
Reply 21
Original post by Ideot
:yep:

What's your special interest in English? :excited:

I wouldn't say I have any particularly special interest :tongue: I didn't have much English while at school (2 hours a week, nothing but language :frown:), so I had to 'discover' everything on my own - which means that I am mostly reading the big names, and try to go from there. My favourite author is Jane Austen, which is about as unoriginal as you can get :p: I do have a bit of a thing for medieval literature though. It's a recent interest, but I love it.

How about you? :smile: Classics and English sounds like an intensive combination! I've always been interested in Classic literature (gotta love the Iliad!), but as my Latin is horrible and my Greek hardly any better I never considered studying it fulltime.
Reply 22
Original post by Ambs
I wouldn't say I have any particularly special interest :tongue: I didn't have much English while at school (2 hours a week, nothing but language :frown:), so I had to 'discover' everything on my own - which means that I am mostly reading the big names, and try to go from there. My favourite author is Jane Austen, which is about as unoriginal as you can get :p: I do have a bit of a thing for medieval literature though. It's a recent interest, but I love it.

How about you? :smile: Classics and English sounds like an intensive combination! I've always been interested in Classic literature (gotta love the Iliad!), but as my Latin is horrible and my Greek hardly any better I never considered studying it fulltime.

Well almost everyone discovers what they love in literature on their own :tongue: It is quite hard not to - imagine being told what to like! It must be very exciting to just start reading all the big names at an age when you can really appreciate them. I am jealous, in a way :rolleyes:

As for me - well, I am interested in so many things :smile: I don't have any Greek or Latin, and though it says I'm taking the Classics exam on the UCAS form, I sort of ignore the course (I don't have a teacher or classes in it), and do what ever I'm interested in particularly :redface:. So, I like comparing Yeats and Plato, with a bit of "Hamlet" thrown in, also Oscar Wilde and Walter Pater. I'm really looking forward to talking about them at interview :smile:

I can't wait to see all the old buildings and the Bodleian (even if I just see the outside ^^) again!
Reply 23
Original post by firebird89
Could you tell me which math modules (or whatever) English applicants have done up to the time of interview? I'm an international applicant and would at least like to have a glimpse at the stage of knowledge of the "native" applicants. Thanks :-)

I don't know if the modules u do r the same as mine, but....

4 Further math applicants (which most r), we at least did C1, C2, C3, C4 n FP1. Then it depends on the sch. FM ppl in my sch also done M1, M2, S1, S2, D1 n half of FP2. However ppl in my sch take one extra module so most applicants praobably didnt do that much. I personally think they wont ask questions from FP2, M2, D1 n S2 as not everyone would have done them n it is still very new 4 us.

4 Math applicants, They done C1, C2, C3 n M1/S1. However, if u take FM then they can still ask u C4 questions even though not everyone took them. They juz ask these 2 types of applicants different questions.

Good luck :smile:
are we allowed to take laptops with us when we go? cos i really need to play FM11

I made it in a Truelad post. HappyLAD
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm re-reading some of the stuff I mentioned in my personal statement and jotting down stuff that I think is interesting about it, points I agree or disagree with, etc. I'm also trying to read some extra stuff to give me more to talk about so I'm going to read the Aenead because I know the Odyssey and the Iliad well and it might be nice to compare them with Roman epic. I'm also trying to sneak in some comedy and tragedy as I haven't actually read any drama, just poetry and prose.
Reply 26
PPE fo lyf! what college are you applying to?
just go over anything in your ps and be prepared to be intellectually ravaged:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm re-reading some of the stuff I mentioned in my personal statement and jotting down stuff that I think is interesting about it, points I agree or disagree with, etc. I'm also trying to read some extra stuff to give me more to talk about so I'm going to read the Aenead because I know the Odyssey and the Iliad well and it might be nice to compare them with Roman epic. I'm also trying to sneak in some comedy and tragedy as I haven't actually read any drama, just poetry and prose.

I'm doing the same:smile: actually I'm trying to get into history now. Btw, do you know if any classicists got interview from more than one college?
Original post by Sebsan
I was under that same impression as you, until I read this (from Oxford's page about what to do before interview*):

So yeah, for me it depends on how basic the knowledge is. If it is just law irregardless of system and country, I should be fine. If it is specific to English or common law systems, I will be in more trouble. It would be nice if some former law interviewee could confirm to what degree basic knowledge is required, and if needed, maybe point a finger towards a good place to read about it. :smile:

*http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/interviews/interviews_at_oxfo_1.html

That's more or less it. (I am a former law interviewee.) Have you seen the mock interview on the Oxford law site? That's quite a good representation of the knowledge you need.

Tbh the fact you know that common law systems are different shows that you have a decent amount of background knowledge.
Reply 29
Original post by vka1
I'm doing the same:smile: actually I'm trying to get into history now. Btw, do you know if any classicists got interview from more than one college?

More than one college? None that I know, sorry! Why? I didn't think anybody would.
Reply 30
Original post by riotgrrl
More than one college? None that I know, sorry! Why? I didn't think anybody would.

I've seen some, though not classicsists ( in the 'I've got an interview' or something like that thread), hence I was interested in it.
Reply 31
Original post by Sebsan
I am a bit freaked out since apparantly we law students need to have some background knowledge. I have started reading the law section of the Guardian, but I am assuming this is more about basic terminology and structure, of which I know very little. (International applicant)

Does anyone know a good place to read up on this, excluding wikipedia?

Don't let anybody fool you into thinking that. Seriously.
I didn't know a single fact about law
Reply 32
PPE anyone?!?!
Original post by Sebsan
I was under that same impression as you, until I read this (from Oxford's page about what to do before interview*):

So yeah, for me it depends on how basic the knowledge is. If it is just law irregardless of system and country, I should be fine. If it is specific to English or common law systems, I will be in more trouble. It would be nice if some former law interviewee could confirm to what degree basic knowledge is required, and if needed, maybe point a finger towards a good place to read about it. :smile:

*http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/interviews/interviews_at_oxfo_1.html

Sorry, only just picked this up, hope you get it in time. My sister is reading law there now (3rd Year) and says there was no quizzing about specific legal systems at her interviews at all. I'd have thought it would be quite unfair if there was; I thought all applicants were supposed to be on a level playing field. Very good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending