The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting an offer from KCL

I want to apply to study medicine at King’s College London for 2024 entry. I got A*A*A* predicted in chemistry, biology and maths. My GCSE grades are 99999998 (8 in French), and I got Distinction* in BTEC health and social care (I don’t know if they accept BTECs). The grade requirements are A*AA.

I am also on the K+ widening participation programme for KCL.

With a solid UCAT score and personal statement, how likely is it that I will be rejected from King’s?

Also, do you recommend that I apply for Oxford?
Reply 1
Original post by Imaan.06
I want to apply to study medicine at King’s College London for 2024 entry. I got A*A*A* predicted in chemistry, biology and maths. My GCSE grades are 99999998 (8 in French), and I got Distinction* in BTEC health and social care (I don’t know if they accept BTECs). The grade requirements are A*AA.

With a solid UCAT score and personal statement, how likely is it that I will be rejected from King’s?

Your predicted grades and GCSEs are great for both Oxford and King's. If you get a really good UCAT score, you would be quite likely to get an interview from King's, but your interview performance is the main factor that will decide whether you get an offer. With Oxford, you should only apply if you think you would enjoy the traditional course structure and intense workload. You interview and BMAT will dictate whether or not you can get an offer, so nobody on here can really tell you whether or not to apply.
U have no chance sorry, that 8 in French shoulda been a 9 if you wanted to have a chance

(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3

I got rejected from kcl for 2023 dentistry with similar stats soooo...
Reply 4
Original post by Ajdj12
I got rejected from kcl for 2023 dentistry with similar stats soooo...

Post interview or pre interview? If it was post you probably ****ed up your interview. Did they give you any constructive criticism.
Reply 5

To answer the second part of your question, you clearly have the A Level predicted grades and GCSEs to apply to Oxford, but a huge part of the pre-interview selection process revolves around the BMAT, which you take after sending your application off. There is still a huge amount of competition after applicants have been shortlisted. If you really like Oxford and don't mind taking the risk, I'd say go for it, but definitely do your research first to make sure studying at the university is right for you, because the Oxford experience is very unique.
Reply 6
Original post by CptAshGU
Post interview or pre interview? If it was post you probably ****ed up your interview. Did they give you any constructive criticism.

btw you can have a very good interview and still get rejected

and no it was pre
Reply 7
Original post by Ajdj12

and no it was pre

Poor UCAT perhaps? According to the FOI, UCAT accounts for 50% for the decision to hand out interviews, with 40% on GCSEs and 10% for widening participation. For the 2021 admission statistics, the average percentage of offer holders was 78%, so I doubt you'll be rejected if you have a very good interview.
Reply 8
Original post by Ajdj12

How?
Reply 9
Original post by a._5
How?

because everyone who has an interview will prepare well. Plus it's pretty subjective cause how are they gonna learn your entire personality in a 15min video call?
Reply 10
Original post by Ajdj12
because everyone who has an interview will prepare well. Plus it's pretty subjective cause how are they gonna learn your entire personality in a 15min video call?

The interview is about 25 minutes and not everyone prepares well. There are people that aren't expecting an interview and are surprised by it and don't have time to prepare and also people who have received offers from universities that they are choosing over king's so don't bother to work for the interview. More importantly in 2021, 1019 people were interviewed and 726 received offers (over a 70% chance of being successful). So it's pretty unlikely that an objectively 'very good interview' will result in a rejection.
Reply 11
Original post by a._5
The interview is about 25 minutes and not everyone prepares well. There are people that aren't expecting an interview and are surprised by it and don't have time to prepare and also people who have received offers from universities that they are choosing over king's so don't bother to work for the interview. More importantly in 2021, 1019 people were interviewed and 726 received offers (over a 70% chance of being successful). So it's pretty unlikely that an objectively 'very good interview' will result in a rejection.

The number and proportion of people who are successful change drastically every year. If everyone did their research and applied "strategically", you now have a lot more people applying to that uni as they think they have a higher chance of success, creating greater competition. Plus the margins are very slim, as the content that each person will say for a particular question would be similar if you interview a very large sample, so you could still get rejected after an objectively "very good interview". Happened at Leeds, where people received "excellent" scores for all stations and still got rejected.
Original post by a._5

Lots of people were auto-rejected last year (2022 application cycle) from KCL despite having decent/good stats: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7214351

But tagging @GANFYD to see if they have advice for the OP.
Reply 13
Original post by Talkative Toad
Lots of people were auto-rejected last year (2022 application cycle) from KCL despite having decent/good stats: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7214351

But tagging @GANFYD to see if they have advice for the OP.

Thanks.
Would all depend on their UCAT - and they haven't got that yet :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ajdj12
The number and proportion of people who are successful change drastically every year. If everyone did their research and applied "strategically", you now have a lot more people applying to that uni as they think they have a higher chance of success, creating greater competition. Plus the margins are very slim, as the content that each person will say for a particular question would be similar if you interview a very large sample, so you could still get rejected after an objectively "very good interview". Happened at Leeds, where people received "excellent" scores for all stations and still got rejected.

King's have released 5 years worth of statistics that show their post interview success rates are much higher than most other universities. So whilst that may happen at Leeds, where the post interview success rate is lower, it is unlikely that an objectively very good interview will lead to an rejection at King's. The margins are slim as you say, but that is more likely to mean that in a 'vary large sample' some get offered a place after a decent but not excellent interview, whilst other get rejected with similar performances. Either way, with such a high post-interview success rate it is still unlikely that a 'very good interview' will lead to a rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending