The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance of a PPE offer?

I am predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Physics. Aswell as an A* in EPQ. I got 9988887776 at GCSE. I come from the east midlands and live in a low income area. Will my GCSES disadvantage me from other candidates? And, is Physics a bad A level for a philosophical course like PPE?
Original post by Anonymous
I am predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Physics. Aswell as an A* in EPQ. I got 9988887776 at GCSE. I come from the east midlands and live in a low income area. Will my GCSES disadvantage me from other candidates? And, is Physics a bad A level for a philosophical course like PPE?

When assessing your GCSEs, Oxford also take into consideration the school you went to and the year you did your exams. If your GCSEs are significantly above the average for your school, they will look good on your application, even if they're below the average for most Oxford applicants. You did better than me in GCSEs and I was accepted for a similar course.

Your A level choices are also fine. Although physics isn't really relevant to the course, it is academically rigorous, so it shouldn't affect your application significantly. Just make sure you discuss philosophy adequately on the personal statement, ensure that you're able to perform well in a philosophy interview, and do lots of preparation for the TSA so you actually get invited to one.
Reply 2
Would it be harder for me to be accepted at LSE or Oxford?
Original post by Anonymous
Would it be harder for me to be accepted at LSE or Oxford?

Oxford would probably be more difficult. With A*A*A*, a good personal statement, and a good reference, you have a very good chance at getting into LSE. Getting into Oxford would also require acing the entrance test and the interviews. You can always just apply to both, see what offers you get, and make a decision then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending