The Student Room Group

Hardest area of Physics

Just wondering what people to find to be the hardest area of physics, also the most interesting, and why. :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd have to say quantum physics. Some may disagree, but I'd assume it's pretty tough.
Quantum Field Theory, General Relativity, even fluid dynamics, it all gets complicated if it is taken far enough.
Reply 3
Going by the class my physics friends (4th year) find hardest I'd say Quantum
Though I study continuum mechanics and it's certainly not easy either
Reply 4
Quantum, undoubtedly.
Reply 5
from IB physics I would say that electricity is the hardest and quantum the most interesting :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Jin3011
I'd have to say quantum physics. Some may disagree, but I'd assume it's pretty tough.

I was about to say Quantum as well, but they realised I worked it out in the end. Fully advanced Electromagnetism is still a mystery to me.

Most interesting is Time/Quantum/Astro.

OP would level are you at?
Quantum's pretty easy if you don't try and get your head round it. No-one truly understand it, so "shut up and calculate".

I'd go for Thermodynamics, I've been taught it by many lecturers and many text books, and it's incredibly difficult to teach or I'm rubbish at it.
Reply 8
Original post by markrush
I was about to say Quantum as well, but they realised I worked it out in the end. Fully advanced Electromagnetism is still a mystery to me.

Most interesting is Time/Quantum/Astro.

OP would level are you at?

Im doing A level, most difficult so far for me is optics, but i think its cos i havnt really enjoyed it much, most interesting is magnetism it just fasinates me
Any kind of quantum mechanics involving second quantisation. Or magnetohydrodynamics - combination of the worst of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism! Or maybe advanced particle physics, once you get onto QCD and QED and the like, but I guess that's just quantum mechanics rearing it's ugly head again...
I'm 1st year physics undergrad, find quantum physics the most difficult.
The maths parts.......
Reply 12
The various variants on String Theory and Quantum Theory possibly.
Neither make much intuitive sense, so you just have to trust the maths.

The one I hate most because I'm bad at it is electric circuit stuff though.
Reply 13
Original post by hazbaz
Im doing A level, most difficult so far for me is optics, but i think its cos i havnt really enjoyed it much, most interesting is magnetism it just fasinates me

Optics can be hard to get until it clicks. Then it can be simple. Luckily it's one of the few subjects that will not get much harder afterwards.

I once found an optics book in the uni library that kept mentioning "Sodium flames" I was thinking why the hell do they not say use a Sodium lamp instead. Then I saw the date on the book, 1932! I loved that book haha, ok geeky for books a bit, thing is other than little oddities like that it was bang on.
Reply 14
trying to combine quantum theory with the the theory of general relativity, it doesnt get any harder than that
Reply 15
Optics can be hard to get until it clicks. Then it can be simple. Luckily it's one of the few subjects that will not get much harder afterwards.

I once found an optics book in the uni library that kept mentioning "Sodium flames" I was thinking why the hell do they not say use a Sodium lamp instead. Then I saw the date on the book, 1932! I loved that book haha, ok geeky for books a bit, thing is other than little oddities like that it was bang on.

Haha :P i cant decide if i want to do Physics or Chem at uni in terms of Science or maybe just maths
Reply 16
Original post by hazbaz
Haha :P i cant decide if i want to do Physics or Chem at uni in terms of Science or maybe just maths

Unless you want to do Chem after uni I would recommend Physics for job prospects, or Maths.

However, just make sure you enjoy it and do well. A good grade is equally important.
Reply 17
Unless you want to do Chem after uni I would recommend Physics for job prospects, or Maths.

However, just make sure you enjoy it and do well. A good grade is equally important.

Yh, i find chem easier, but physics more interesting
Reply 18
After three years an interesting subject might be better than an easy subject to keep your attention. How much easier is Chem than Physics?
Reply 19
So far a fair bit, but i think thats more to do with the fact i suck at conversion units lol, but yh i thin overall i would pick physics

Quick Reply

Latest