The Student Room Group

A-level choice help

Hi guys,
I am In year 11 and choosing which courses to do at college. I am definitely going to be taking chemistry however I’m undecided on my other two courses. I’m undecided between physics, biology and maths and wondered if anyone has any advice on what combinations would be best without doing 4 courses. I’m not to sure about what I would like to do as a future career other than that it involves some sort of science or maths. However I want to keep my options as open as option within that field.
Thanks
Reply 1
As someone who is currently studying A-levels, I think chemistry, physics and maths provide you with a decent variety of scientific skills and you will still be able to study a wide array of courses in any STEM career since they will require sciences and not specific sciences. But ultimately it depends on which of the sciences you prefer since there is no 'wrong' combination. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jv07eal
Hi guys,
I am In year 11 and choosing which courses to do at college. I am definitely going to be taking chemistry however I’m undecided on my other two courses. I’m undecided between physics, biology and maths and wondered if anyone has any advice on what combinations would be best without doing 4 courses. I’m not to sure about what I would like to do as a future career other than that it involves some sort of science or maths. However I want to keep my options as open as option within that field.
Thanks

Hi, my opinion as a current year 12 studying Maths, Further maths, Economics and Computer science is to 100% take maths. It goes well with chemistry in some areas (aswell as physics if you decide to take), can open up many pathways to careers such as computer science or even finance.

As for the other two, it would be completely up to you:

Physics is definitely one of the if not the hardest a level, however it’s very rewarding. Definitely good if you want to go into pure physics or mainly engineering.

Biology I don’t know a lot of, but from what I’ve heard it’s very content heavy, but I don’t see it being as rewarding as physics.

Good luck. And if you do decide to do a 4th course, definitely take up further maths. The struggle is definitely worth it when applying to top universities
Reply 3
Original post by Jv07eal
Hi guys,
Thanks

Definitely take maths - it opens so many doors! I take Bio, Chem, Maths and FM - wanting to do medicine. Here is the rundown on main STEM subjects and what you'd likely need

Engineering

Maths

Physics / Further Maths (FM wanted for more competitive ones)

Chem if you want to go for something like chemical engineering

Medicine

Chemistry is essential

Biology preferred by most, but a few lets you in without

Cambridge likes a third STEM subject, most people normally go for something like maths or psychology

Maths

Maths

Further Maths preferred by many

Computing

Maths

Further Maths preferred by many

Computer Science could be useful

Biological sciences/Biology

Biology

Chemistry may be wanted by some - I'm not sure but you may have some places that will take Chem over Bio for things like biomed, biochem etc.

Physics

Maths

Physics

Maybe Further Maths

Chemistry

Chemistry

So try and see if you enjoy more biological sciences or physics, because if you do Chem and Maths they will help with both in most cases. You can always take Bio and Phys and then drop one after a half term/AS if your school allows
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest