The Student Room Group

Is there a point in the A+, when studying CCNA (half of)

As above. I've heard a lot of PC world techies have the A+, and the exam costs around £100 or so. I dont want to sound arrogant, but I've had a look on YouTube, google etc... and the A+ certification seems really easy, considering I've probably been doing the "course" since I was about 14 ie: I didn't take the course, but like others I've learnt through repairs/maintenance.

We've also been told that for us "it would be a walk through the park" by our tutor.

At the moment, Im looking for part time work. So yeah, again is it worth doing the A+ Also, is it really worth doing the N+ when we're learning lots more(apparently, from someone who's going to do the N+) through CCNA?
CompTIA certifications are considered entry level certs...They cost more than 100 quid and recently have been changed from lifetime to expire every 3 years..So basically you have to spend more money getting recertified unless you already have them and your covered...

The main three CompTIA certs are A+, Network+ and Security+...The first 2 will basically help you gain basic knowledge of entry level IT jobs..However, since the sudden change to add a 3 year shelf life I wouldnt bother with them...

It has been argued that in the UK CompTIA certs aren't even acknowledged or known by most employers so aren't worthwhile..however, they do provide some usefull knowledge..

If you want certs go for the microsoft or cisco ones...bare in mind you will need to pass a few exams before your granted a microsoft cert....

Good luck hope you got alot of dosh they arent cheap
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Right thanks for that then. I may just stick with the Cisco stuff. Apparently, if you do it before this Christmas it stays with you for life? Also, the Cisco qualifications also have a 3 year life :frown:
Yep a lot of IT professionals are going crazy about the sudden change to introduce a 3 year recertification policy, which is ridiculous for a certification that is mainly used to get entry level jobs and seems like a ploy to get more money...I myself was considering doing them but since I already have a degree and will hopefully by the end of next year complete my masters I’ll consider going down the Microsoft cert front instead...At least with most of the Microsoft certs they don’t expire...Cisco ones do expire but are aimed for IT professionals who work with the tech within their daily lives and as considered highly regarded with employers so I can see why they require recertification...If your thinking that you must certify maybe try the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician to start with or even the Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator..Both are more regarded than A+ and Network+ within the UK and combined with good work experience and possible degree(s) could help place your foot into the door...

Oh and yeah you would need to pass A+, Network+ and Security+ by December 31st to get them for life..otherwise recertification every 3 years
Reply 4
Right thanks for your help. I may not do the A+ then, if it's not as recognised any more. I don't see the point in the N+ either, if Im doing CCNA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending