The Student Room Group

Is note-taking worth it for science a levels??

I’ve been spending a lot of my time writing detailed notes for biology + chemistry since September (I’m y12), I find it helps me retain and understand information, but with so many concise notes pre-written by teachers and students out there - would it be more effective to just make flash cards based upon these?? It’s stressing me out lol because half way into the year and I’m thinking of changing my revision techniques
Reply 1
Original post by ellieheath
I’ve been spending a lot of my time writing detailed notes for biology + chemistry since September (I’m y12), I find it helps me retain and understand information, but with so many concise notes pre-written by teachers and students out there - would it be more effective to just make flash cards based upon these?? It’s stressing me out lol because half way into the year and I’m thinking of changing my revision techniques

I just don’t want to be wasting time writing notes then making flash cards on those notes when I could just skip that first step yk? But then I don’t want it to be not effective because then I’ve also wasted my time 😭
Reply 2
if they are useful to you thats great, try making notes on a topic each time you learn it, so you are not spending extra time when you should be doing practice questions making notes. Using the premade notes is always an option but sometimes they skip parts of the spec so i like making my own. But making the notes as you go along, within one or max two days of learning the topic is CRTICAL. no point making notes if you are not using them properly, try doing practice questions after studying them or use them to help you do questions. hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest