The Student Room Group

transferring university -gaining credits

NEED URGENT RESPONSE: I failed a second year module (10 credits). I am not able to resit it again. I have continued with third year with current university and will be obtaining ordinary degree (degree without honours) by Dec 2023. I want to transfer university to obtain an honours degree, is there any possibility that I can transfer all my 350 credits to university and complete the remaining 10 credits at another university to achieve my honours degree. I am studying BSc (HONS) Computer science with Artificial Intelligence, is there any universities that will accept me complete 10 credits. I dont mind achieving BSc(HONS) with Computer Science. Is there any solution that I can take to obtain my honour at different university.
Original post by koko45667
NEED URGENT RESPONSE: I failed a second year module (10 credits). I am not able to resit it again. I have continued with third year with current university and will be obtaining ordinary degree (degree without honours) by Dec 2023. I want to transfer university to obtain an honours degree, is there any possibility that I can transfer all my 350 credits to university and complete the remaining 10 credits at another university to achieve my honours degree. I am studying BSc (HONS) Computer science with Artificial Intelligence, is there any universities that will accept me complete 10 credits. I dont mind achieving BSc(HONS) with Computer Science. Is there any solution that I can take to obtain my honour at different university.

Hi there,
Which university are you currently at if you don't mind me asking? Also, have you tried to get in touch with the staff or an advisor at the student union to find out the options available to you?

Just a couple of other questions:
Is there a particular reason, such as health, as to why you might have failed? Would you have an option to retake the exam next year perhaps?

The best course of action to find out if another university would accept you is to contact them directly and explain your situation
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by KA_P
Hi there,
Which university are you currently at if you don't mind me asking? Also, have you tried to get in touch with the staff or an advisor at the student union to find out the options available to you?

Just a couple of other questions:
Is there a particular reason, such as health, as to why you might have failed? Would you have an option to retake the exam next year perhaps?

The best course of action to find out if another university would accept you is to contact them directly and explain your situation

Coventry University, personal reasons- inc. health related, also my university only allow 3 attempts and which I have completed,and they do not allow retake years, I am currently in contact with student union and they advise me to see any university that I can allow my transfers. Is it possible for me to do top up degree in computer science or any universities that can allow me to complete my 10 credits to obtain full honours degree.
Coventry University, personal reasons- inc. health related, also my university only allow 3 attempts and which I have completed,and they do not allow retake years, I am currently in contact with student union and they advise me to see any university that I can allow my transfers. Is it possible for me to do top up degree in computer science or any universities that can allow me to complete my 10 credits to obtain full honours degree.

My strong advice would be to contact universities offering a similar course or ones you know are offering top up degrees in computer science and explain your situation to the admissions team. I will not be able to give accurate information unfortunately as it would depend solely on the university on what their conditions would be to accept you
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
(Original post by KA_P)My strong advice would be to contact universities offering a similar course or ones you know are offering top up degrees in computer science and explain your situation to the admissions team. I will not be able to give accurate information unfortunately as it would depend solely on the university on what their conditions would be to accept you

thank you
(Original post by KA_P)My strong advice would be to contact universities offering a similar course or ones you know are offering top up degrees in computer science and explain your situation to the admissions team. I will not be able to give accurate information unfortunately as it would depend solely on the university on what their conditions would be to accept you

thank you

We're rooting for you, you've got this :hugs:
I don’t know any universities that allow a BAO to BAH top up for degrees from other universities. It doesn’t make sense for them to award a degree classification based on just 60 credits study out the 360 that it takes to get an honours degree.

However you could get advanced standing/credits for 240 credits using your BAO towards an OU degree and sit final year 120 credits distance learning to get an honours degree. That would be your best option IMO and because an honours degree is higher than a BAO you should still be eligible to get a tuition fee loan for those 120 credits at OU.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
I don’t know any universities that allow a BAO to BAH top up for degrees from other universities. It doesn’t make sense for them to award a degree classification based on just 60 credits study out the 360 that it takes to get an honours degree.

However you could get advanced standing/credits for 240 credits using your BAO towards an OU degree and sit final year 120 credits distance learning to get an honours degree. That would be your best option IMO and because an honours degree is higher than a BAO you should still be eligible to get a tuition fee loan for those 120 credits at OU.

thank you for your response.
I will be obtaining 350 credits out of 360 credits (honours) overall for my degree. I got great grades, some over 70% in my final year, but I failed one module in 2nd year (10 credits), I pass all 120 credits in my final year. I need to see if I can complete the 10 credits at other university or year to gain my credit to achieve my honours, also open university does not have my degree course computer science.
thank you for your response.
I will be obtaining 350 credits out of 360 credits (honours) overall for my degree. I got great grades, some over 70% in my final year, but I failed one module in 2nd year (10 credits), I pass all 120 credits in my final year. I need to see if I can complete the 10 credits at other university or year to gain my credit to achieve my honours, also open university does not have my degree course computer science.

Another university won’t award you a degree classification and an honours degree for taking one L5 10 credit unit with them. And they won’t award a classification and honours degree based on 350 credits studied and marked by another university.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/computing-it/degrees/bsc-computing-it-q62 Is the closest match at OU (and includes CCNA accredited units so more industry recognition than most CS degrees).

OU is one of the only universities that will allow transfer of up to 240 credits towards their degrees.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending