The Student Room Group

Cyber Security at Open Uni, worth the time?

so I am 32 and finally at the point in life where I can work on me. So just now im looking to gain a job that pays more than minimal wage (that would be lively!). I have been looking at Cyber Security at Open University but im wondering is it worth the time doing the course at open uni or would I be best doing a course with the Learning People which btw, dont tell you their prices on the website...

Thank you for all your help.
Original post by downtownfh
so I am 32 and finally at the point in life where I can work on me. So just now im looking to gain a job that pays more than minimal wage (that would be lively!). I have been looking at Cyber Security at Open University but im wondering is it worth the time doing the course at open uni or would I be best doing a course with the Learning People which btw, dont tell you their prices on the website...

I've never heard of Learning People. The Open University has been around for 50 years and is well known and established already. I'm not sure if LP is offering degrees or just IT courses either? The OU is a university, LP looks like it's just a course provider/business?

It depends on what qualification you want and what makes something worth your time? You can do a degree in 3-6 years with the OU, or up to 15 years if need be. If distance learning is what you'd prefer and you want a degree, then I'd recommend nothing other than the OU for that. If you just want to a distance learning IT course, which may be like a certificate/diploma, you can do short courses and get certificates for free on OpenLearn, but LP may also provide more in that department.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Mate,

I'm 33 and at university to study a bachelor's in Cyber Security, happy to chime in here!

A degree is not necessary to work in Cyber but it sure can help your chances of getting employed. My friends and colleague's that work in the same industry don't have one and mostly have certifications. Working in Cyber is a broad spectrum from advisory, threat detection, cloud security, application security development, network security and much more!

My plan is to do a degree and certifications during the summer, i'm looking to move into cloud/network security but also have a keen interest in application security. Check out a fella on youtube called David Bombal and Network Chuck.. A few certifications i'm going for on my end which would probably take precedence over my degree in an interview would be the CCNA, CISSP, AWS Cloud and Azure Cloud certs.

If the sky's the limit and you're looking for a CISO position one day then a degree might help, otherwise it's not at all necessary. I do however appreciate the fundamental's and guided learning of my degree.
Reply 3
Original post by downtownfh

Hey, im 31 almost 32 looking to do the same, open university for cybersecurity. Did you go for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending