The Student Room Group

Advice on Cyber Security Course

So firstly, a bit about me (not essential reading, just skip to below the line for the question), just so you can appreciate where I am at in life, and my reasons for wanting to change my path.

I'm a 36 year old male, and currently earn very good money doing two unskilled jobs. One working for JLR in manufacturing on 42k, and my 2nd job is driving for Uber part time, at approx 24k. I'm doing approx 65hours per week. I have a mortgage, Mrs, and 3 smart kids. I have also recently been diagnosed with Adult ADHD, which has given me hope that now medicated (Titration stage), I may now be able to reach my potential, after massively underachieving at school, not following higher education, and slipping into a life of mundane unskilled work.

=========================================

So in my Uber job, I pick up mainly students, who are a fountain of information, and business men, mainly IT guys as it happens, many who have given me some direction during our short chats on paths to take.

Cyber Security is what has spiked an interest me, although I understand what it is, I'd be going into training it with no prior experience, although I know what hardware is, and can navigate IOS & Windows at lot more than the average man.

I was recommended take a look at The Learning People by one of my customers, and have been given advice on their Cyber Security course, which they assure me is a 'Job Ready' course. They are partnered with the EC Council, and their courses are all internationally recognised, all with exams, so competence will be tested.

So the course they say they will provide will consist of all the below, all exams, resists, virtual labs access etc. They say should you pass the below, you will be 'Job Ready'. They say I will also gain 'experience' needed with their course, which will be legitimate. Not 100% sure how as yet.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA security+
CompTIA CASP (Advanced Security Practitioner)
SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner)
ISC 2
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)

So if I ticked all of these boxes, would I find work? One think I worry about of not knowing any programming. Would that be an issue?

I'm not looking to walk into a 40/50/60k job instantly. I will still probably Uber on the side if life allows, as it's just so flexible.

Sorry about the essay, and thanks if you took there time to read it all.
Hiya mate, just seen that nobody at all has replied to this, so I thought I'd give you my opinion.
The quals you're getting are the industry leading top stuff. Normally you'd do A+/Network+ and Security+ which is nicknamed the 'trifecta' - it's non essential, but Security+ relates heavily to Network+ and the content covered in it is quite broad and neccessary over any CyberSec career, whether it be analyst or pen tester - maybe brush up on the Network stuff while studying for it.

CASP and CCNA goes over all the previous stuff you'll have done on the qualifications anyway, as soon as you're qualified in those anyone will take you. They're simply amazing.

Long story short - with all those quals you're bound to find work. You'll need to probably pick up a little bit of programming along the way - for example with CASP/Sec+ you'll look into Metasploit and the payloads, and in order to understand them you'll need to know a little bit of Python, change them for your liking for the system you're using the exploit on.

I won't lie to you though - they're hard exams man. I have A+/Net+/Sec+ and CySA and I'm learning new stuff daily.
With effort and learning put in you're bound to do fine in the end, there are endless resources (Prof. Messer youtube, Udemy courses from Mike Meyers etc.) you'll do absolutely fine.

You've said it's essentially a 100% career path change A+ is the starting point for it, gives basic explanations spanning into more indepth information on basic systems concepts and physical hardware. You're more than fine to start from a 0% understanding standpoint and still do well in the end.

It's probably a huge change for you but honestly if you feel like you have a passion for something - go for it. Take the risk.

tldr: You will 100% be employable and a desirable candidate with these quals and technical knowhow.

Any questions give me a shout.
Reply 2
Original post by CyberJake
Hiya mate, just seen that nobody at all has replied to this, so I thought I'd give you my opinion.
The quals you're getting are the industry leading top stuff. Normally you'd do A+/Network+ and Security+ which is nicknamed the 'trifecta' - it's non essential, but Security+ relates heavily to Network+ and the content covered in it is quite broad and neccessary over any CyberSec career, whether it be analyst or pen tester - maybe brush up on the Network stuff while studying for it.

CASP and CCNA goes over all the previous stuff you'll have done on the qualifications anyway, as soon as you're qualified in those anyone will take you. They're simply amazing.

Long story short - with all those quals you're bound to find work. You'll need to probably pick up a little bit of programming along the way - for example with CASP/Sec+ you'll look into Metasploit and the payloads, and in order to understand them you'll need to know a little bit of Python, change them for your liking for the system you're using the exploit on.

I won't lie to you though - they're hard exams man. I have A+/Net+/Sec+ and CySA and I'm learning new stuff daily.
With effort and learning put in you're bound to do fine in the end, there are endless resources (Prof. Messer youtube, Udemy courses from Mike Meyers etc.) you'll do absolutely fine.

You've said it's essentially a 100% career path change A+ is the starting point for it, gives basic explanations spanning into more indepth information on basic systems concepts and physical hardware. You're more than fine to start from a 0% understanding standpoint and still do well in the end.

It's probably a huge change for you but honestly if you feel like you have a passion for something - go for it. Take the risk.

tldr: You will 100% be employable and a desirable candidate with these quals and technical knowhow.

Any questions give me a shout.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it was worth the wait. I am currently doing a Udemy Python course.
Reply 3
Original post by sapf0
So firstly, a bit about me (not essential reading, just skip to below the line for the question), just so you can appreciate where I am at in life, and my reasons for wanting to change my path.

I'm a 36 year old male, and currently earn very good money doing two unskilled jobs. One working for JLR in manufacturing on 42k, and my 2nd job is driving for Uber part time, at approx 24k. I'm doing approx 65hours per week. I have a mortgage, Mrs, and 3 smart kids. I have also recently been diagnosed with Adult ADHD, which has given me hope that now medicated (Titration stage), I may now be able to reach my potential, after massively underachieving at school, not following higher education, and slipping into a life of mundane unskilled work.

So in my Uber job, I pick up mainly students, who are a fountain of information, and business men, mainly IT guys as it happens, many who have given me some direction during our short chats on paths to take.

Cyber Security is what has spiked an interest me, although I understand what it is, I'd be going into training it with no prior experience, although I know what hardware is, and can navigate IOS & Windows at lot more than the average man.

I was recommended take a look at The Learning People by one of my customers, and have been given advice on their Cyber Security course, which they assure me is a 'Job Ready' course. They are partnered with the EC Council, and their courses are all internationally recognised, all with exams, so competence will be tested.

So the course they say they will provide will consist of all the below, all exams, resists, virtual labs access etc. They say should you pass the below, you will be 'Job Ready'. They say I will also gain 'experience' needed with their course, which will be legitimate. Not 100% sure how as yet.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA security+
ISC 2

So if I ticked all of these boxes, would I find work? One think I worry about of not knowing any programming. Would that be an issue?

I'm not looking to walk into a 40/50/60k job instantly. I will still probably Uber on the side if life allows, as it's just so flexible.

Firstly, I got to respect you for your age and life circumstances. Working two mundane jobs with a family is a HUGE commitment and yes can suck at times.

Not to worry, I too am a masters student currently studying cyber security. I honestly do not think you need "programming" skills in cyber security. If anything, you need good communication and people skills - which I believe you have, given your two jobs. Man, they desperately need people in cyber security nowadays and I believe, they can train anyone up to work in the industry.

Given that a degree maybe too much for you, I would advise you get the CompTIA certs, mainly Security+. Try and get A+ and Network+ and do some Udemy courses online
Original post by sapf0

CompTIA A+
CompTIA security+
ISC 2

You are an inspiration and keep up the good work. With my little experience in Security and Cloud Consulting, my advice is as follows if your focus is on Cyber Security(good choice by the way :smile:-)

CompTIA A+ (NOT Relevant)
CompTIA security+ (Will give you the foundation, so a good start)
CompTIA CASP (Advanced Security Practitioner) (Skip this for ISC2 Certification SSCP)
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) ( This should be your main Goal)
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) ( Not relevant - But will give you a better understanding of networks)
CISSP (Crown it with this one after all the others)

For a programming point of view, it is key you master scripting languages - so bash, python, powershell are good..But don't need to be a programmer to get into CyberSecurity.
Also, be a master of using Linux/Unix this will help you a lot in this area especially when you are doing ethical hacking. A lot of the hacking tools are open source and usually run on a Linux environment.

Don't forget to update your LinkedIn profile once you complete these. A lot of recruiters use this medium now to find candidates.
Reply 5
Original post by r0mada
Firstly, I got to respect you for your age and life circumstances. Working two mundane jobs with a family is a HUGE commitment and yes can suck at times.

Not to worry, I too am a masters student currently studying cyber security. I honestly do not think you need "programming" skills in cyber security. If anything, you need good communication and people skills - which I believe you have, given your two jobs. Man, they desperately need people in cyber security nowadays and I believe, they can train anyone up to work in the industry.

Given that a degree maybe too much for you, I would advise you get the CompTIA certs, mainly Security+. Try and get A+ and Network+ and do some Udemy courses online

That really depends on what your job prospects are. If you want to wear a suit and talk to C-level, then no. If you want to go lower level than that it is only beneficial to have a programming language in your back pocket. At my old job I never thought I would need Python again after uni, but it turned out to be really beneficial because all the sample API code was in Python. Made my job in automating tasks to/from the tool I was using much easier.

If you for example ever come across a SIEM and need to help with integration (whether you are internal IT or a vendor/consultant), you will be expected to know some form of coding.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Good luck
Reply 7
It's great that you're interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity. This is a growing area with many opportunities. Learning People's cybersecurity course may be a good option for you as it is designed to prepare you for working in the field. All of the certifications you listed are highly respected and will help you demonstrate your skills to potential employers.

While programming experience can be helpful in cybersecurity, it is not required. There are many other skills that are important in this field, such as an understanding of network security concepts, the ability to analyze data, and strong communication and problem-solving skills.

In addition, I also focus on cybersecurity. I recently implemented a feature Two-Factor Authentication Methods for my computer. This is an additional security measure that makes it more difficult for hackers to break into my system.

I also regularly update software and drivers to protect my computer from vulnerabilities. I also use a reliable antivirus and antispyware software.

I believe cybersecurity is an important aspect of any job and I want to make sure my computers and data are protected.

With a background in manufacturing and the ability to navigate iOS and Windows systems, you have a good foundation to begin a career in cybersecurity. The Learning People course will give you the additional knowledge and skills you need to succeed in this field.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending