The Student Room Group

GCSE Greek

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by moocows911
I thought it was a really nice exam, from my point of view anyway :smile:...

Yeah that sounds about right :smile:

i liked it too, essay questions weren't too bad. although someone I know didnt finish :/ i think it went ok though...

anyone else TERRIFIED for the odyssey (verse) paper?! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING! guess how im spending half term...
Original post by Leigh303
i liked it too, essay questions weren't too bad. although someone I know didnt finish :/ i think it went ok though...

anyone else TERRIFIED for the odyssey (verse) paper?! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING! guess how im spending half term...

How much did you tend to write for each essay point and how many style points? E.g. for the bullet point about how the scene is dramatic, what did you write?
I need some help.. I'm learning the Odysseus set text but we haven't been given the translation for lines 116-118. I want to know which words mean "woke up", "sitting up", "deliberated", "heart" and "mind".
Any help?
Original post by fencingfanatic
I need some help.. I'm learning the Odysseus set text but we haven't been given the translation for lines 116-118. I want to know which words mean "woke up", "sitting up", "deliberated", "heart" and "mind".
Any help?

we could help you if you gave us the book.
Reply 44
Original post by kate.overall
How much did you tend to write for each essay point and how many style points? E.g. for the bullet point about how the scene is dramatic, what did you write?

for each essay i wrote about a page and a half so about a half-page paragraph for each bullet point. but i think i overdid it!

was that the climatic build up essay question? i just wrote about sentence length - long sentences with lots of clauses building suspense, and the use of shorter sentences either to be dramatic (eg "For a while he (astyages) was speechless) or towards the end to build pace. Oh and time phrases like "at last", "for a while" etc to build up. Cant really remember anything else... although that was one of my shorter paragraphs :P

tbh it all went in a bit of a blur and ive been so focused on physics i cant remember all of what i wrote, especially without the passage/exam paper in front of me!
Reply 45
Original post by Xristina
we could help you if you gave us the book.

i wasnt the one who asked but i think it's book 6 :smile:
i wasnt the one who asked but i think it's book 6 :smile:

ah ok, have you already taken the exam or should I answer the question?
Reply 47
I wish my school did Greek GCSE all they do are the usual : French, Spanish and a new addition of Mandarin which sounds fun but is incredibly hard
Reply 48
ah ok, have you already taken the exam or should I answer the question?

the exam's next monday - personally I'm confident with that section but im guessing whoever asked it originally wants some help.
Original post by fencingfanatic
Any help?

ok I think TSR doesn't allow greek characters so I will use greeklish (greek written in english characters)
egreto means woke up
ezomenos means sitting up
wrmaine means deliberated
kata frena means mind (in his mind)
kata thumon means heart (in his heart)
ok I think TSR doesn't allow greek characters so I will use greeklish (greek written in english characters)
egreto means woke up
ezomenos means sitting up
wrmaine means deliberated
kata frena means mind (in his mind)
kata thumon means heart (in his heart)

do you literally know what each word means in the text!?? because I am taking the gcse exam (are you?) on monday and seriously I know the text pretty much, but not word for word and I certainly do not know what half the words mean :/ because our gcse greek isn't at that standard
Reply 51
do you literally know what each word means in the text!?? because I am taking the gcse exam (are you?) on monday and seriously I know the text pretty much, but not word for word and I certainly do not know what half the words mean :/ because our gcse greek isn't at that standard

I know what all the words are (hopefully) and I'm taking it... better to be safe i figured!
I know what all the words are (hopefully) and I'm taking it... better to be safe i figured!

I am now going through it, but I literally just don't think I will know what all the words mean! What school do you go to if you don't mind me asking and how long have you been doing greek? :smile:
can someone help me! I thought I understood the poem really well, but after going through it I am confused as to who athena and artemis are? is athena the one who is in nausicaa's dream? and if so when else is she mentioned in the poem and who is artemis and when are they mentioned??? thanks so much!
Reply 54
can someone help me! I thought I understood the poem really well, but after going through it I am confused as to who athena and artemis are? is athena the one who is in nausicaa's dream? and if so when else is she mentioned in the poem and who is artemis and when are they mentioned??? thanks so much!

athena is the one in Nausicaa's dream - she's used by Homer to develop the plot via 'divine intervention'. she disguises herself as Nausicaa's friend in the dream, to tell her to go to the washing pools; it is she who causes the ball Nausicaa throws to miss, so that the girls shout, so Odysseus awakes, so he can find Nausicaa, so he gets to the city! Athena also "put confidence in her (nausicaa's) heart and took fear from her limbs" when Odysseus comes out of the bushes, so she stays to talk to him.

Basically, Athena is used as a means of getting Odysseus to meet Nausicaa, and so get to the city.

Artemis is mentioned twice; firstly, when Nausicaa is playing with the handmaids. Homer launches into an epic simile (good phrase to use!) - comparing Nausicaa to Artemis, because she is so beautiful. The second time is in Odysseus' speech, when he too compares Nausicaa to Artemis - in an attempt to flatter her, so she will take him to the city/provide clothes.

Oh, for the record - Athena is the goddess of wisdom (? I think) and Artemis is the goddess of hunting (hence why in the epic simile "Artemis the archeress goes through the mountains, delighting in (chasing) boar and swift deer").

Hope that helped! (Oh, and I'll PM you my school.)

Edit: been doing greek for 3 years (but only did the literature in year 11 - not a lot got done in year 9!)
(edited 12 years ago)
athena is the one in Nausicaa's dream - she's used by Homer to develop the plot via 'divine intervention'. she disguises herself as Nausicaa's friend in the dream, to tell her to go to the washing pools; it is she who causes the ball Nausicaa throws to miss, so that the girls shout, so Odysseus awakes, so he can find Nausicaa, so he gets to the city! Athena also "put confidence in her (nausicaa's) heart and took fear from her limbs" when Odysseus comes out of the bushes, so she stays to talk to him.

Basically, Athena is used as a means of getting Odysseus to meet Nausicaa, and so get to the city.

Artemis is mentioned twice; firstly, when Nausicaa is playing with the handmaids. Homer launches into an epic simile (good phrase to use!) - comparing Nausicaa to Artemis, because she is so beautiful. The second time is in Odysseus' speech, when he too compares Nausicaa to Artemis - in an attempt to flatter her, so she will take him to the city/provide clothes.

Oh, for the record - Athena is the goddess of wisdom (? I think) and Artemis is the goddess of hunting (hence why in the epic simile "Artemis the archeress goes through the mountains, delighting in (chasing) boar and swift deer").

Hope that helped! (Oh, and I'll PM you my school.)

Edit: been doing greek for 3 years (but only did the literature in year 11 - not a lot got done in year 9!)

This is so helpful, that you so much! I just got a bit confused as to whom was being referred to in the 'epic simile' :smile: I have been doing GCSE Greek short Course since year 10ish.. so I hope I do well :smile: Did you do Cyrus and if so how did you find it?
Reply 56
haha no worries, this homer is horrible, i find it way worse than the cyrus - although maybe its because we only finished it recently, so it isnt as well revised! Im sure you will :smile:

Yeah the Herodotus was ok, better than i thought - although one of my friends ran out of time and only managed to do 3 bullet points for one of the 10 mark Qs :s-smilie: how did you find it?
haha no worries, this homer is horrible, i find it way worse than the cyrus - although maybe its because we only finished it recently, so it isnt as well revised! Im sure you will :smile:

Yeah the Herodotus was ok, better than i thought - although one of my friends ran out of time and only managed to do 3 bullet points for one of the 10 mark Qs :s-smilie: how did you find it?

I found the Cyrus ok, although I have to say I did feel very rushed and there were certain questions I did not know what to right, but looking back can now think of things! E.g the bullet point on how a sense of time is conveyed... I hope I get an A I really do!
Reply 58
To add to Leigh303's comment, Athena intervenes because she is Odysseus' guardian (sort-of) and she helps him throughout the entire Odyssey, whereas some of the other gods try to hinder him. The Artemis simile is also appropriate because Artemis was the daughter of Zeus, which is kinda parallel to how Nausicaa is the daughter of a king i suppose... anyway, good luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 59
Well after the prose I was getting confident, but it turns out that trying to do this in 45minutes in my lunch hour each week since Setember may not conclude with an A*.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending