The Student Room Group

Modern Greek A-level

I'm taking Edexcel Modern Greek A-level next year and I was wondering what notes anyone else taking Greek used and any helpful websites . I mostly struggle with the book and the movie and I'm not sure how deep I need to go into the research for paper 1 . Any help/advice ?
Hey! I’m doing Greek A level this year. What book and movie are you going to be analysing, and which research task have you chosen?
Reply 2
Original post by aafroo
Hey! I’m doing Greek A level this year. What book and movie are you going to be analysing, and which research task have you chosen?

Cool ! I'm doing the research about Greek society and changes to the Greek education system and my teacher hasn't started the movie with me yet so idk which one I'm doing yet but I'm doing the poems as my text . Do you have any tips or material you found helpful . I went to school in Greece before GCSE so I do well in every section except the literature essays which I'm not very sure how to approach .
Original post by tike4578
Cool ! I'm doing the research about Greek society and changes to the Greek education system and my teacher hasn't started the movie with me yet so idk which one I'm doing yet but I'm doing the poems as my text . Do you have any tips or material you found helpful . I went to school in Greece before GCSE so I do well in every section except the literature essays which I'm not very sure how to approach .

I went to school in greece too before my GCSEs! I’m not doing the greek education system for my research task, but i can help you with the structure of Kavafis poems.

There are a lot of themes within his poetry, such as έρωτας, Αλεξάνδρεια ως πόλη, θρησκεία, διλήμματα, ιστορία, σύμβολα, κτλ.

Πιστεύω πως ο δάσκαλος/δασκάλα σου θα σου δώσει materials για να διαβάσεις, αλλα πραγματικα ειναι τοσο δύσκολο να βρεις πληροφορίες για το research task especially, since very few people do greek a level! My teacher guided me through finding websites specifically for the research task, but for kavafis, there is a specific anthology you need to study from. Those 30ish poems are split into the themes i mentioned earlier, and any of those themes can come up as a question in the exam.

Hope this helped a little bit and let me know if you have any other questions about the A level!
Reply 4
Original post by aafroo
I went to school in greece too before my GCSEs! I’m not doing the greek education system for my research task, but i can help you with the structure of Kavafis poems.

There are a lot of themes within his poetry, such as έρωτας, Αλεξάνδρεια ως πόλη, θρησκεία, διλήμματα, ιστορία, σύμβολα, κτλ.

Πιστεύω πως ο δάσκαλος/δασκάλα σου θα σου δώσει materials για να διαβάσεις, αλλα πραγματικα ειναι τοσο δύσκολο να βρεις πληροφορίες για το research task especially, since very few people do greek a level! My teacher guided me through finding websites specifically for the research task, but for kavafis, there is a specific anthology you need to study from. Those 30ish poems are split into the themes i mentioned earlier, and any of those themes can come up as a question in the exam.

Hope this helped a little bit and let me know if you have any other questions about the A level!

Thanks ! It really is very difficult finding research material but my teacher is in Greece so she sends me material from her school there for my research and other files which she's gathered over time so its not too bad . Where would I be able to find the anthology and the themes we need to know as she has talked about most of the themes you mentioned and the 30 poems but i would like a copy of it too . Also do you have any tips or material about the movies and how do you tackle the last essay which is about an audio file ?
I got my anthology from my teacher, I am not sure where he found it but I can ask him and let you know. For the listening bit of the essay, I kind of just winged it tbh and ended up with an A* in my mock. If you were good at greek literature back in your greek school, this will be no problem for you. When you do your first paper 3 you will see it is really not as difficult as say the poems section (which i find the hardest)
What are your other A levels btw?
Reply 7
Original post by aafroo
What are your other A levels btw?

Thank you that would be great if you could ask your teacher for the anthology , or you can send it to me on private messages or through google drive if you have a digital copy ? For the listening i thought of winging it but my school in Greece wasn't great so I didn't really do much there so that's why I'm kind of stressed about it . As for my A-levels I do Maths , Economics and Computer science . What A-levels do you do ?
I will try to find a digital copy for you, because mine is printed. When I do more practice on paper 3 I will let you know what tips I have for the last essay bit!

My a levels are physics, art and biology, i know; very mixed. I enjoy many different areas like science which is more methodical i guess, but love having a creative outlet through my art a level.
Reply 9
Original post by aafroo
I will try to find a digital copy for you, because mine is printed. When I do more practice on paper 3 I will let you know what tips I have for the last essay bit!

My a levels are physics, art and biology, i know; very mixed. I enjoy many different areas like science which is more methodical i guess, but love having a creative outlet through my art a level.

That would be great ! Let me know if you find the digital copy , I can also share a google drive file I have with lots of Greek articles from Greek researches on various topics on the A-level in exchange if you want ( I just don't have anything on Cyprus or the music/dance one ), it also has many materials for grammar and how to write/structure good essays in Greek along with workbooks which are pretty helpful ? Your A-levels are very mixed ! What are considering to do in the future that requires sciences , art and a language ?
Reply 10
Original post by tike4578
That would be great ! Let me know if you find the digital copy , I can also share a google drive file I have with lots of Greek articles from Greek researches on various topics on the A-level in exchange if you want ( I just don't have anything on Cyprus or the music/dance one ), it also has many materials for grammar and how to write/structure good essays in Greek along with workbooks which are pretty helpful ? Your A-levels are very mixed ! What are considering to do in the future that requires sciences , art and a language ?

Hi, I'm doing A level-greek this year and I was wondering if you could share your booklet on grammar and essay structures? I'm also doing the Cavafy poems however I'm teaching myself so I only have materials that are free on the internet. I went to primary in Cyprus but it's obviously been a while and I don't have that practice on greek literature (the english lit lessons are similar but also obviously very different) so I would appreciate any tips you have? I've always been quite weak in my spelling (specially those damn vowel dipthongs) but I'm a big reader so understanding the poems is no problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending