The Student Room Group

M3 28/01/2011 Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Also, for the question involved to strings, I got the speed at C to be v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl (Something like that).

For circular motion question again, I got the tensions to be:
12m(w2l+2g)\frac{1}{2}m(w^2l + \sqrt2g)
12m(w2l2g)\frac{1}{2}m(w^2l - \sqrt2g)

For the vertical circle question I said the max and min values of "T" occur at the bottom and top of the circle so when theta = pi and theta = 0.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by soutioirsim
I put in the wrong conditions into question 1 so I got C as 12 instead of 18 so got the wrong quadratic :p:

I didn't manage to derive the inequality in the circular motion question (Thankfully it was only two marks)

I think I got the wrong value of lambda in the question in which you had to hang the toy from A and then take moments. I got 0.35 but I think it should of been the reciprical of that to give 2.56 of something... :s-smilie:

Apart from that it went ok. I just managed to derive the very last inequality (the BIG 9marker). I also got 0.222s for the time it takes to get directly from A-->B.

The inequality came from T in BP being something like m2(ω2l2g)\frac{m}{2}({\omega}^2l - \sqrt{2}g). As there was a tension m2(ω2l2g)>0\frac{m}{2}({\omega}^2l - \sqrt{2}g) >0 so ω2l>2g{\omega}^2l > \sqrt{2}g

I think I got lambda = 2.84 or something, I know my friend got it too...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jonnyboy1993
The inequality came from T in BP being something like m2(ω2l2g)\frac{m}{2}({\omega}^2l - \sqrt{2}g). As there was a tension
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{m}{2}({\omega}^2l - \sqrt{2}g) >0

so
Unparseable latex formula:

{\omega}^2l > \sqrt{2}g)

I think I got lambda = 2.84 or something, I know my friend got it too...

Yeah, that's what my friends did :smile:
Also, for the question involved to strings, I got the speed at C to be v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl (Something like that).

For circular motion question again, I got the tensions to be:
12m(w2l+2g)\frac{1}{2}m(w^2l + \sqrt2g)
12m(w2l2g)\frac{1}{2}m(w^2l - \sqrt2g)

For the vertical circle question I said the max and min values of "T" occur at the bottom and top of the circle so when theta = pi and theta = 0.

For the strings I think I got

v2=18415gl v^2 = \frac{184}{15}gl

I think I know how you got your answer. The particle had mass 3m I believe, but your answer uses mass = m
(edited 13 years ago)
Also what do people think about difficulty/grade boundaries for this paper?

EPE = KE + GPE

2(hx22l)=12mv2+mgh 2(\frac{hx^2}{2l}) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh

hx2l=12mv2+mgh \frac{hx^2}{l} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh

10mgx2l=12mv2+mg(125l) \frac{10mgx^2}{l} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mg(\frac{12}{5}l)

20gx2l=v2+245gl \frac{20gx^2}{l} = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

20(85l)2l=v2+245gl \frac{20(\frac{8}{5}l)^2}{l} = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

128025l=v2+245gl \frac{1280}{25}l = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

v2=(2565245)gl v^2 = (\frac{256}{5} - \frac{24}{5})gl

v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl

That's what I did.... :s-smilie:
Reply 26

This.

v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl is what one would get if they ignored the fact the mass was 3m (relative to the 10mg λ\lambda) in the second part. Edit: See above.

Personally, I didn't feel this was a particularly difficult M3. Sure, the above, and one of the COM questions came out with rather nasty looking answers, but a lot of the other stuff was all 'show that...'. I'd expect reasonably high boundaries, but I don't really know.
(edited 13 years ago)

I think I know how you got your answer. The particle had mass 3m I believe, but your answer uses mass = m

Original post by gcseeeman
This.

v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl is what one would get if they ignored the fact the mass was 3m (relative to the 10mg λ\lambda) in the second part. Edit: See above.

FFS :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Another stupid mistake...
FFS :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Another stupid mistake...

You'll only lose a couple of marks at most, your method was mostly correct, you just subbed in the wrong value of m, so you should get at least 4 out of 6 :smile:
Original post by gcseeeman
This.

Personally, I didn't feel this was a particularly difficult M3. Sure, the above, and one of the COM questions came out with rather nasty looking answers, but a lot of the other stuff was all 'show that...'. I'd expect reasonably high boundaries, but I don't really know.

Hmm I guess you make a valid point about the boundaries. I mean if you had a method that agreed the answers for question 7 then that was something like 20% already secured... I really hope I haven't dropped some silly marks somewhere, I really want an A* in M3 to take the pressure off in summer. This was probably my most horrible exam in maths yet though... (purely because we had so little time to learn all of M3 - just under 2 months)
Reply 30
Also what do people think about difficulty/grade boundaries for this paper?

The paper was straightforward for the first bit until it got to Question 6 more or less and Question 7 was a complete b*tch :frown:

I think the boundaries will be like Jan '10's

I got the same tensions as you guys but my teacher said the tension in A was 0 :confused:

I made the silly mistake of not reading the part of 'A and B are on the same positive axis' SHM question :mad:

I messed up. I worked so hard for it! How much UMS would you think 57 raw would be?
I found it to be one of the easier M3 papers to be honest.
After all the variable acceleration (Q1) and the SHM question were about as straightforward of their type as its possible to get.
The CoM was actually so basic that it made it look as if there was something missing!
Horizontal circle and the Hooke's law questions.. no catches there either.
The last one took a lot more working, but its always nice to have a 'show that...'.

Certain I made one or three errors of course, always do, but all in all I fear that boundaries might be quite high.
Original post by 20100
The paper was straightforward for the first bit until it got to Question 6 more or less and Question 7 was a complete b*tch :frown:

I think the boundaries will be like Jan '10's

I got the same tensions as you guys but my teacher said the tension in A was 0 :confused:

I made the silly mistake of not reading the part of 'A and B are on the same positive axis' SHM question :mad:

I messed up. I worked so hard for it! How much UMS would you think 57 raw would be?

I hope it's like Jan10 boundaries too and don't worry, I know exactly how you feel. I managed to get through S1 and C3 without making any stupid mistake but then made LOADS in M3.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to use M2 in your A2 modules to contribute to the A*? And then use M3 in your AS further maths? (Incase I screw up M3) So I'll have the following modules:

AS:

FP1 M1 M3

A2:

FP2 FP3 M2
Reply 33

Does anyone know if you're allowed to use M2 in your A2 modules to contribute to the A*? And then use M3 in your AS further maths? (Incase I screw up M3) So I'll have the following modules:

AS:

FP1 M1 M3

A2:

FP2 FP3 M2

They count your best 3 A2 results when awarding the A* so any 3 from FP2 FP3 M2 M3
Original post by gdunne42
They count your best 3 A2 results when awarding the A* so any 3 from FP2 FP3 M2 M3

Swwweeet, thanks :smile:
Reply 35
EPE = KE + GPE

2(hx22l)=12mv2+mgh 2(\frac{hx^2}{2l}) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh

hx2l=12mv2+mgh \frac{hx^2}{l} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh

10mgx2l=12mv2+mg(125l) \frac{10mgx^2}{l} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mg(\frac{12}{5}l)

20gx2l=v2+245gl \frac{20gx^2}{l} = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

20(85l)2l=v2+245gl \frac{20(\frac{8}{5}l)^2}{l} = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

128025l=v2+245gl \frac{1280}{25}l = v^2 + \frac{24}{5}gl

v2=(2565245)gl v^2 = (\frac{256}{5} - \frac{24}{5})gl

v2=2325gl v^2 = \frac{232}{5}gl

That's what I did.... :s-smilie:

Surely you have forgotten about Final EPE as the position you want the speed at was where the strings are still stretched, unless i have missed something.
Original post by alroco
Surely you have forgotten about Final EPE as the position you want the speed at was where the strings are still stretched, unless i have missed something.

Well it said find the speed when the particle is at "C". "C" is the mid-point of AB where AB = 2m. The natural lengths of the two strings combined is 2m so there is no E.P.E stored at C.

(I used the wrong mass so ignore my final answer anyway :p:)
Reply 37
Well it said find the speed when the particle is at "C". "C" is the mid-point of AB where AB = 2m. The natural lengths of the two strings combined is 2m so there is no E.P.E stored at C.

(I used the wrong mass so ignore my final answer anyway :p:)

Oh i must have read and then remembered the question wrong:frown: I should still get method marks anyway.
Reply 38
anyone got the paper?
Reply 39

lol i got same answer!!!!i thought this was wrong....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending