The Student Room Group

The Reading/Leeds Festival Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, I've bought a day ticket for the sunday (The Strokes & Pulp = heaven)
But i would have no desire to buy a ticket for the weekend. While I usually like the "Rock" day Band, MCR don't do it for me, nor do Muse (sorry, sorry think they're hugely overrated), and the rest of the bands..well..I went for the weekend in 2009,and to me, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead & KOL was a much better set of headliners (minus Strokes) but hey, maybe that's just my taste.
Original post by Mally-xo
aha I was quite far forward for them and I got so many kicks to the face :colonhash: I was so bruised all over by the end of the weekend, especially my poor toesies haha :tongue: all part of the experience I guess. lol, I am normally the terrified girl who somehow ends up in the middle of the pit standing there with my hands round my face sobbing! I am used to them now, I go to a fair amount of pretty violent concerts :colone: you coming to Reading this year?

I'm not much into concerts. :p: I had never been to a gig before, and still haven't.
I don't follow bands really!
That's why I don't care who's playing - I will most likely enjoy it at the time.

I hope to go, but since me and a friend only wanted to go if we got a group going, we didn't get coach tickets today. Now it's sketchy if we'll go at all because coach really is the best thing for us, unless it's true about what someone earlier in the thread said about leaving EXTREMELY early to be on of the first there for car parking.

And obviously, now we have to worry about a potential group of people all managing to get a ticket privately closer to the date, which I don't see happening!
Reply 302
Original post by urghhh
i remember everyone moaning about 2010 and telling me not to go.

Went, and had one of the best times of my life...

... so i'm going again this year.

:smile:

Yup. Exact same thing happens every year.
Reply 303
been for the last 2 years and tbh the lineup just keeps getting worse...it's sad that such a big festival such as reading don't want to spend the big cash to reel in top notch acts in... ok think of the strokes etc...yeah they're class but they're also playing at other less known festivals such as oxegen and wireless festival also looks amazing.
When I went in 2009 it was great, the acts were big and it was a general all round great time.
When I went in 2010, the acts weren't as good, piss poor infact, and it seemed that the majority of people were just 16 year old indie tosspots who were only going just so they can have the wristband and say "yeah I went to Reading festival" It seems that every year less and less people go for the primary reason to why'd you'd go to a festival... for the music!! admittedly the atmosphere is awesome at Reading and it is what you make of it, but every year it seems to get more and more diluted.

Line up looks shocking (to my taste anyway) so i'd consider selling my ticket.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
If the rest of the bands they announce aren't that great, I'll seriously consider selling my ticket.

Whether or not anybody will buy it is another matter...

Hmm i'mma see, I already have a clash of events with the Saturday of Reading and a wedding. :colondollar:

I do wanna go, and a few of my friends are going. So i'll see.

In comparison to 2010..hmm but s'all good. :smile:

When will the rest be announced?
Original post by Beska
Yup. Exact same thing happens every year.

But MCR headlining with 30stm subbing. :zomg:
And then there's the whole Muse/2manydj's clash at Readiing...
Reply 306
Amazing at LEEDS there are actually no headliners i'd be bothered about seeing, NME Stage doesn't look too bad though. TITP looks to have the best line up this year or maybe Sonisphere.
I'm really struggling with the notion of MCR as headliners :-/ can't see how they've earnt it tbh xx
I am gutted Mumford & Sons aren't playing :frown:.
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I am gutted Mumford & Sons aren't playing :frown:.

They played last year...
Original post by thecdon
been for the last 2 years and tbh the lineup just keeps getting worse...it's sad that such a big festival such as reading don't want to spend the big cash to reel in top notch acts in... ok think of the strokes etc...yeah they're class but they're also playing at other less known festivals such as oxegen and wireless festival also looks amazing.
When I went in 2009 it was great, the acts were big and it was a general all round great time.
When I went in 2010, the acts weren't as good, piss poor infact, and it seemed that the majority of people were just 16 year old indie tosspots who were only going just so they can have the wristband and say "yeah I went to Reading festival" It seems that every year less and less people go for the primary reason to why'd you'd go to a festival... for the music!! admittedly the atmosphere is awesome at Reading and it is what you make of it, but every year it seems to get more and more diluted.

Line up looks shocking (to my taste anyway) so i'd consider selling my ticket.

Totally agree with you. I wish I had gone in 2009, lineup looked awesome! Went last year and the bands I really wanted to see I could count on one hand if not less, but it was still good. I got a free ticket this year so at least I didn't have to pay for it like many others but the lineup is so dissapointing this year :frown:
Original post by blinkbelle
They played last year...

I know :cry:, I was going to go but I was due to be on holiday and my parents wouldn't have been too happy if I sacked them off to go........I should have gone.
Original post by blinkbelle
I'm really struggling with the notion of MCR as headliners :-/ can't see how they've earnt it tbh xx

Agreed.
Tickets are still really easy to get and apparently neither festival is close to selling out... compare this with V which sold out in 15 minutes. Bad times.
Reply 314
just come to sonisphere (so long as you like hard rock and metal) because its got the big four (metallica, megadeth, slayer, anthrax), biffy clyro, opeth, slipknot, four year strong, etc
waaaayyyy too many bands to list and ive already got my ticket :biggrin:
Reply 315
Original post by rainbow drops
Tickets are still really easy to get and apparently neither festival is close to selling out... compare this with V which sold out in 15 minutes. Bad times.

Because V Fest is chart music.

And because this years R+L line up is terrible in comparison to previous years.

But TITP sold out in half an hour apprently...
Reply 316
So predictions for next year? :biggrin:

Foo Fighters - Nirvana Anniversary (Basically already confirmed), Blur and RHCP/Metallica.

Hopefully Melvin will make up for this years line up.
Reply 317
Am I one of the few that quite likes this years lineup? I mean its not great but its better than what I expected we'd get and theres more than enough to keep me happy across the weekend. Still, hoping for a strong lockup headliner on the friday. There is NO way I'm dancing to the black parade...
Original post by Swell
So predictions for next year? :biggrin:

Foo Fighters - Nirvana Anniversary (Basically already confirmed), Blur and RHCP/Metallica.

Hopefully Melvin will make up for this years line up.

I sadly doubt that... Dave Grohl a few years back had a secret appearance at Reading and did an interview with one of the BBC guys. He stated he loved Reading and Leeds more than any other festival, yet since that interview, every year they've been doing summer festivals... Reading and Leeds have not featured. They have a new album out and still do not play Reading and Leeds. I'm working on the whole assumption that they were asked. Perhaps they were and festival republic's "exclusivity" business model made MCR a more attractive option :facepalm: Melvin and FR will be breathe a sigh of relief when they eventually sell all the tickets

I can't say I'm surprised that it hasn't sold out yet. You have to go back probably to around 2003/2004 when it didn't last sell out on the opening night. The whole leaked poster probably didn't help either. And its for exactly this reason that Reading and Leeds are probably one of the last festivals that don't announce the lineup before ticket sales.

I'm no MCR fan (each to their own and all that) but IMO they are receiving too much flak that should be directed at Festival Republic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 319
Original post by ChrisBan
I sadly doubt that... Dave Grohl a few years back had a secret appearance at Reading and did an interview with one of the BBC guys. He stated he loved Reading and Leeds more than any other festival, yet since that interview, every year they've been doing summer festivals... Reading and Leeds have not featured. They have a new album out and still do not play Reading and Leeds. I'm working on the whole assumption that they were asked. Perhaps they were and festival republic's "exclusivity" business model made MCR a more attractive option :facepalm: Melvin and FR will be breathe a sigh of relief when they eventually sell all the tickets

I can't say I'm surprised that it hasn't sold out yet. You have to go back probably to around 2003/2004 when it didn't last sell out on the opening night. The whole leaked poster probably didn't help either. And its for exactly this reason that Reading and Leeds are probably one of the last festivals that don't announce the lineup before ticket sales.

Them Crooked Vultures?

I'm prettys sure they will play. You know what Melvins like with his exclusivity, he didn't want Muse last year because they were playing a lot of other Festivals. Melvin will want Foo's all to himself and he probably knew that wasn't going to happen this year. And Dave recently announced again that he'd love to be back at R+L in the near future.

Quick Reply

Latest