The Student Room Group

Student Christmas Decorating / Activities

Christmas Decorating is one of the best things to do at this time of year. The trees, the lights, the tinsel... it all adds a bit of magic and sparkle.

Although many students go home for Chrsitmas that doesn't mean there is no point in decorating your accomodation for December. It can be a stressful time of year with assignments and exams and decorating or doing other festive activities can be a destresser and also make your environment happier and bright.

Student Accomodation decorating:
- put up a stocking on a shelf or door
- add some Christmas scents via candles, air freshers
- add some tinsel
- put up some lights
- play some festive music
- in communal spaces have a tree
- have an advent calendar

Activities
- flat Christmas Dinner
- ginger bread houses
- paper chains

What decorating / Christmas activities do you recommend?
Catherine- University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Christmas Decorating is one of the best things to do at this time of year. The trees, the lights, the tinsel... it all adds a bit of magic and sparkle.

Although many students go home for Chrsitmas that doesn't mean there is no point in decorating your accomodation for December. It can be a stressful time of year with assignments and exams and decorating or doing other festive activities can be a destresser and also make your environment happier and bright.

Student Accomodation decorating:
- put up a stocking on a shelf or door
- add some Christmas scents via candles, air freshers
- add some tinsel
- put up some lights
- play some festive music
- in communal spaces have a tree
- have an advent calendar

Activities
- flat Christmas Dinner
- ginger bread houses
- paper chains

What decorating / Christmas activities do you recommend?
Catherine- University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Hiya!
Oooh I can’t wait to continue reading this thread when there are more comments I would love to get some inspiration! I go home for Christmas but of course I still decorate my accommodation it always put me in a lovely Christmassy mood getting me excited about the holidays and overall, just makes me happier so I definitely agree with what Catherine said above.

Some other things I do which hasn’t been mentioned already are:
-Christmas bedding - Just makes my accommodation much more like home
-I have gel window stickers in my window they are very cute, affordable and don’t leave any damage to the window
-Christmas crafts I love to crochet and this a new hobby I have taught myself, but there is also craft boxes you can get in shops such as The Works
-Me and my friends go out for a Christmas meal in the city
-Wear a Christmas Jumper I mainly wear mine to work
-See what Christmas events there are at the Student Union and in the city.

As I said about Christmas events have a look if there is any near you! At DMU we have a winter wonderland, Christmas movie night, pub quiz, bauble painting and much more. Throughout the city, Leicester has an Ice rink, Ferris wheel, light trail in the park and lots of decorations and bright lights. This is one of my favourite things to do just walking around and finding stuff to do with friends before we go home for the holidays.

Not long to go from writing this today only 25 days! Has anyone already done their Christmas shopping or decorated yet?

-Maddie, second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)
Any decorating gets me in the festive mood! :woo:
I particularly love receiving Christmas cards from people all around the world :yep:
I can then put them on some ribbon and hang them around the house :daydreaming: It looks so lovely!
Original post by Father Christmas
Any decorating gets me in the festive mood! :woo:
I particularly love receiving Christmas cards from people all around the world :yep:
I can then put them on some ribbon and hang them around the house :daydreaming: It looks so lovely!

Nearly Christmas Everyone!

I love Christmas cards I always write cards to close friends and family - I think it is something that is growing out of fashion sadly but myself and my mum always write them and make it a tradition to go on a drive delivering them! I also use them as room decoration especially as a student living in my studio flat - gives my room a Christmassy homely touch and nice to catch a glimpse of the messages inside when just in my room working away.

Have a lovely Christmas all,
Maddie, second year Health and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University
Surely there are some hard working health and safety prats who can put a stop to all this decorating nonsense ?

Quick Reply

Latest