Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Whats your view on the upcoming hollywood production of Ghost in a shell.In scared they are going to mess it up.Also seems controversial they are whitewashing the characters.
    Why do many dubbed versions of an anime feel awkward compared to the subbed versions.For example,the dubbed version of one piece opening 1 doesnt really feel right compared to the japanese version.
    It's mixed. I am looking forward to it, mainly because I am one of those die-hard Ghost in the Shell fans, so I'll probably end up forcing myself to like it!
    It does seem pretty bad that they'll whitewash the characters, so I am not looking forward to some "2-D" character development there. I dunno really, it hasn't been released yet, so I guess we'll just wait and see. (and then complain later)

Dubbing is a difficult process, because Japanese sentences and their meanings in English don't tend to correlate, if you get what I mean. Especially if it's Japanese slang like "haizamasu" (ohaiyo gozaimasu)...doesn't correlate too well. Also, if you've watched subs for a long time (clean copies in my case), then the expressions of the voice actors in English will come across as forced and unnatural, part of which is to do with how you're used to perceiving anime=voiced by Japanese seiyuu; you get into that mindset really easily watching subs for a long while. But if you compare a dub with say, a Cartoon Network toon, there isn't too much of a difference. That said, not all dubbing is terrible. For example, the dub for Death Note was near excellent, and after watching that in dub....everything else did look and sound pretty sh**ty tbh. Does that kinda answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    It's mixed. I am looking forward to it, mainly because I am one of those die-hard Ghost in the Shell fans, so I'll probably end up forcing myself to like it!
    It does seem pretty bad that they'll whitewash the characters, so I am not looking forward to some "2-D" character development there. I dunno really, it hasn't been released yet, so I guess we'll just wait and see. (and then complain later)

Dubbing is a difficult process, because Japanese sentences and their meanings in English don't tend to correlate, if you get what I mean. Especially if it's Japanese slang like "haizamasu" (ohaiyo gozaimasu)...doesn't correlate too well. Also, if you've watched subs for a long time (clean copies in my case), then the expressions of the voice actors in English will come across as forced and unnatural, part of which is to do with how you're used to perceiving anime=voiced by Japanese seiyuu; you get into that mindset really easily watching subs for a long while. But if you compare a dub with say, a Cartoon Network toon, there isn't too much of a difference. That said, not all dubbing is terrible. For example, the dub for Death Note was near excellent, and after watching that in dub....everything else did look and sound pretty sh**ty tbh. Does that kinda answer your question?
    Yeah it does.I asked because I remember as a kid how on 4Kids channel they badly butchered some animes when they made their own versions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Yeah it does.I asked because I remember as a kid how on 4Kids channel they badly butchered some animes when they made their own versions.
    Oh god, yeah, they were outright terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't wait, I just watched the first episode of Gansta; cool first episode.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That moment when Nikolas unleashes that kick on the car.. Damn.

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** I just finished Darker than Black... That was amazing. I have never been so pleasantly confused before. So awesome. Can't get over it.

I really hope Steins;Gate lives up to the hype for me as the next anime I'm gonna watch. Can't help but think I'm gonna judge it harshly since DTB is easily one of the best animes I've seen so far, though admittedly I haven't seen many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Holy **** I just finished Darker than Black... That was amazing. I have never been so pleasantly confused before. So awesome. Can't get over it.

I really hope Steins;Gate lives up to the hype for me as the next anime I'm gonna watch. Can't help but think I'm gonna judge it harshly since DTB is easily one of the best animes I've seen so far, though admittedly I haven't seen many.
    Honestly, the only part of Stein's Gate that I feel like anyone could dislike is the start, so don't give up there. I don't think it's the best anime ever like a lot of people do, but it's definitely a great show and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I have Darker Than Black on my PTW list, will get there one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)

And here is my next anime. After watching a bit of Ergo Proxy, I'm really liking this goth/emo style.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Monster yesterday, what a fantastic anime. I doubt I'll ever be able to find an anime villain that's on the same level as Johan. Great stuff. I'll be starting Gankutsuou next, I've been wanting to watch it for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zantetsuken)
    And here is my next anime. After watching a bit of Ergo Proxy, I'm really liking this goth/emo style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ive started it too,I also love it's dark style.
    It's my favourite anime,and I've wanted to see why that is.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I just finished watching all the original Hunter x Hunter episodes + OVAs and I thought the ending was quite cute with (ending in spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Gon using accompany to travel to Ging with Kilua
    , yet of course it leaves unanswered questions about what happens to the Spiders later on.

My question is, is it worth watching the latest series (from like episode 70) that ends properly? If it's not that much better than the old one then I'll probably leave the series how it is.

(Original post by EdwardElric)
    x(
    Quoted you in Ed because I saw that you've watched the series
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Hey guys!

I just finished watching all the original Hunter x Hunter episodes + OVAs and I thought the ending was quite cute with (ending in spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    , yet of course it leaves unanswered questions about what happens to the Spiders later on.

My question is, is it worth watching the latest series (from like episode 70) that ends properly? If it's not that much better than the old one then I'll probably leave the series how it is.

The Chimera Ant arc of the 2011 series was by far my favourite of the arcs in Hunter x Hunter, though admittedly I've not watched the original series or OVAs myself, and this series sped through all the earlier arcs. The storyline and especially the characters are good enough to make it worth the watch, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Honestly, the only part of Stein's Gate that I feel like anyone could dislike is the start, so don't give up there. I don't think it's the best anime ever like a lot of people do, but it's definitely a great show and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
    Agreed. Once you get over the hump of first 4 or so episodes, it undergoes a bit of a tonal shift (almost slice of life/comedy to sci-fi thriller). I wasn't a fan of the first episode, gave up on it for a couple of weeks only to come back to it. I now rank it as my favourite.

Mamoru Miyano who voices Rintaro Okabe is also my favourite voice actor. He also voices, amoung many roles, Light Yagami (Death Note), Masaomi Kida (Durarara!!), Ling Yao (FMA: Brotherhood) and Kiba (Wolf's Rain). What a pro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Hey guys!

Spoiler:
    Show

Have you not seen the 2011 version? I would definitely recommend it, heck, I'd even recommend starting it from episode 1, Madhouse truly outdid themselves with this one.

In that post you quoted I was actually talking about the 2011 version btw, I haven't seen the older one. The ending of the 2011 version really left me wanting more, sadly I doubt we'll be seeing it return anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    The English scenes in the Psycho Pass movie are so bad:lol:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    x
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    x.
    Thanks guys! I'll start watching it tonight :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    Oh god, yeah, they were outright terrible.
    Will we ever have a season 3 of darker than black,I cant get enough of Hei and Yin,I think Im going to cry .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    The English scenes in the Psycho Pass movie are so bad:lol:.
    Heard about the Engrish, but how was the movie itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Heard about the Engrish, but how was the movie itself?
    Some of the Engrish wasn't too bad but it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say 10-15% of the movie was in English which just got a bit annoying.

I'm not a massive fan of the movie. In terms of enjoyment, I'd put it closer to S2 than S1 (I don't think anyone was expecting it to be as good as the first season). I just didn't find the plot that engaging. It feels quite different to the TV series, which isn't a bad thing in itself but it lost a lot of its charm in my opinion.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised to see more Psycho Pass in future but at this point I don't know if I actually want that, it's feeling a bit repetitive and there's not much more they can do.

ReputationRep:
    Smh I've still not got round to watching those recommendations 2 months ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Will we ever have a season 3 of darker than black,I cant get enough of Hei and Yin,I think Im going to cry .
    Sorry for the slow reply. Don't think we ever will....unless the anime staff shift their butts. I wish they would make one though, DtB seems like an anime that cries for Season 3.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.