Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A tank holds 20 gallons of water. When the tap over it is turned on water flows from it into the tank at a rate of 4 gallons a minute. When a plug in the bottom of the tank is pulled out water drains away from the tank at the rate of 6 gallons a minute.

1) With the tank empty and the plug in, the tap is turned on. How many minutes will it take to fill the tank?

I have the answer 5 minutes

2) With the tank full, the tap is turned on and the plug pulled out. How many minutes will it take to empty the tank?

I have the answer 10 minutes.

3) With the tank empty and the plug in, the tap is turned on for 3 minutes. It is then turned off and the plug pulled out. How many minutes will it then take to empty the tank?

I have the answer 2 minutes.

4) With the tank full, the plug is pulled out and the tap turned on. After 4 minutes the tap is turned off with the plug left out. How many more minutes will it take to empty the tank?

I have the answer 2 minutes.

5) The tank is full. The plug is pulled out for 2 minutes. The tap is then turned on for 3 minutes with the plug still out. How many gallons will be in the tank at the end of this time?

I have the answer 2 gallons.

6) The tank is empty with the plug in. The tap is turned on for 4 minutes. The plug is then pulled out with the tap left on for another 6 minutes. How manny gallons will be in the tank at the end of this time?

I have the answer 4 gallons.

Are the answer I obtained correct - have a missed something because this seems easy.

Number sequences:

1) 4, 9, 16, ... , 36, 49, 64 (25)

2) 2, 6, 12, ..., 30, 42, 56 (20)

3) 41, 38, 36, 33, ... , 28, 26, 23 (31)

4) 2, 3, 5, ..., 17, 33, 65 (9)

5) 3, 5, 4, 6, ..., 7, 6, 8, 7, (5)

6) 99, 80, 63, ..., 35, 24, 15 (48)

Are the (x) satisfy the (...) in the sequences?

ReputationRep:
    All correct except answer #2 in the first section.
    The correct answer is not 10 mins. It is 3 mins and 20 secs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Takmelius)
    All correct except answer #2 in the first section.
    The correct answer is not 10 mins. It is 3 mins and 20 secs.
    I think your a year late

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.