The Student Room Group

Cambridge Admissions test

What would be considered an acceptable/good score in a Cambridge Admissions test?
I am confident I could get at least 50% on the multiple choice section as my average % in the practice tests I have done at home is in 60-70% range. I am applying for Philosophy.
It's all heavily contextualised and varies greatly by year so giving you a percentage and saying 'this is good' would be disingenuous as there are so many factors that could make a seemingly bad score perfectly acceptable or a seemingly good score less stellar.
Original post by Anonymous #1
What would be considered an acceptable/good score in a Cambridge Admissions test?
I am confident I could get at least 50% on the multiple choice section as my average % in the practice tests I have done at home is in 60-70% range. I am applying for Philosophy.

Hi, how have you been revising for the philosophy admissions test? I find the logical multiple choice question so difficult! And i don’t know here to start with the essay because im not sure how to structure it etc! I have to sit it in a week, and i have my interview the week after :wink:
Original post by Theo.brighton06
Hi, how have you been revising for the philosophy admissions test? I find the logical multiple choice question so difficult! And i don’t know here to start with the essay because im not sure how to structure it etc! I have to sit it in a week, and i have my interview the week after :wink:

I have been reading a book on logic called “Logic : A very short introduction”. It’s pretty short and has helped my understanding and increased my practice scores as I read it. I also try to make truth tables on the questions I can.
Essays - not attempted one yet but will this week in time conditions.
Congrats on your interview invite, I got mine recently for Sidney Sussex. Which college are you applying to?

Hi, I'm also applying for philosophy and am averaging the same amount. I think it probably mainly depends on your essay and interview.
Reply 5
Original post by miriamhutch8
Hi, I'm also applying for philosophy and am averaging the same amount. I think it probably mainly depends on your essay and interview.

Yeah, I think your right. I suspect the multiple choice is just to see if you have a fairly good capability in the subject area.
Yeah, I think your right. I suspect the multiple choice is just to see if you have a fairly good capability in the subject area.

Also - I think around 60% is a decent score anyway since offer holders from other subjects seem to get around this, although it may be different for philosophy.
Original post by ThomasAJWarren
Also - I think around 60% is a decent score anyway since offer holders from other subjects seem to get around this, although it may be different for philosophy.

Okay, thanks, that's good to know. What college are you applying to?
Reply 8
I'm applying for History and Politics, I'm not too sure how these are meant to be marked by Cambridge. Is the HAA a percentage? Is it a general assessment of your ability though which they just determine if they can teach you? Is it a competition? I have no idea.
I've done all the mock papers at least 3 times each, and had them marked. All went okay, I'm just very unaware of how it's going to be used by my college.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Okay, thanks, that's good to know. What college are you applying to?

Sidney Sussex College, you?
Sidney Sussex College, you?

Pembroke, I looked around Sidney Sussex on the open day (it was lovely) and had a long conversation with the philosophy DOS there - he was so nice and easy to talk to!
Pembroke, I looked around Sidney Sussex on the open day (it was lovely) and had a long conversation with the philosophy DOS there - he was so nice and easy to talk to!

I remember him well, but I assume he left, since he is not on my list of interviewers. I am sure everyone is nice enough at whatever college.
Reply 12
Original post by 200tan
I'm applying for History and Politics, I'm not too sure how these are meant to be marked by Cambridge. Is the HAA a percentage? Is it a general assessment of your ability though which they just determine if they can teach you? Is it a competition? I have no idea.
I've done all the mock papers at least 3 times each, and had them marked. All went okay, I'm just very unaware of how it's going to be used by my college.

Perhaps ask in another forum - there is a university one.

Pembroke interviews are in person, right?
Pembroke interviews are in person, right?

Yes they are! Are yours online?

Yes they are! Are yours online?

Yes. I would prefer in person for the sake of a trip to Cambridge but nevertheless it didn’t influence my decision. Good luck with your interview and trip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending