The Student Room Group

Maths and Philosophy?

Hi all,
Up until recently, I’ve been wanting to do a sole Maths degree.
However, I am looking at the possibility of a Maths and Philosophy degree (this idea has been coming back to me throughout my alevels but I only found out recently that you do not need philosophy at alevel).
I have a few questions
1) Would getting a B in my maths related EPQ hinder my chances and/or show evidence that I am not good enough at essay writing for said degree?
2) Are Maths, FM, Physics and Econ the right alevels for it?
3) What job prospects are there afterwards?
4) Is it enjoyable for those who are only average at essay writing?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
1) probably neither here nor there for admissions purposes
2) they're fine
3) same as a maths degree
4) probably not as much unless you exclusively take logic options
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
1) probably neither here nor there for admissions purposes
2) they're fine
3) same as a maths degree
4) probably not as much unless you exclusively take logic options

For 1) What about personally? Is an EPQ enough to determine your essay writing. And for 4) would you say it'd be less enjoyable than a pure maths degree?
Original post by RationalFish
For 1) What about personally? Is an EPQ enough to determine your essay writing. And for 4) would you say it'd be less enjoyable than a pure maths degree?

Well it's one indicator but not the only one- plus invariably students have to hone their essay writing skills more at uni regardless of their prior subjects.

For the latter question that's really a personal thing. If you enjoy reading and thinking about philosophy and would be happy to try writing those thoughts in the form of coherent logical arguments in essay format, you'd probably enjoy it. But if you don't like writing essays to start with then that is something to consider.
Reply 4
OK then, thanks for you help 👍
Reply 5
Well it's one indicator but not the only one- plus invariably students have to hone their essay writing skills more at uni regardless of their prior subjects.

For the latter question that's really a personal thing. If you enjoy reading and thinking about philosophy and would be happy to try writing those thoughts in the form of coherent logical arguments in essay format, you'd probably enjoy it. But if you don't like writing essays to start with then that is something to consider.

One more question actually. I enjoy the idea of philosophy and logic greatly but if "proof" is not my favourite area in Maths, would that mean that i wouldn't like maths and philosophy?
One more question actually. I enjoy the idea of philosophy and logic greatly but if "proof" is not my favourite area in Maths, would that mean that i wouldn't like maths and philosophy?

That would really mean you probably wouldn't actually enjoy the maths half of the degree. Maths in a maths degree is largely proof based and very abstract. If you like the more "problem solving" type maths and doing calculus and such, you would probably find something like physics or engineering a closer match to your interests.
Reply 7
That would really mean you probably wouldn't actually enjoy the maths half of the degree. Maths in a maths degree is largely proof based and very abstract. If you like the more "problem solving" type maths and doing calculus and such, you would probably find something like physics or engineering a closer match to your interests.

Ah I see
Hi all,
Up until recently, I’ve been wanting to do a sole Maths degree.
However, I am looking at the possibility of a Maths and Philosophy degree (this idea has been coming back to me throughout my alevels but I only found out recently that you do not need philosophy at alevel).
I have a few questions
1) Would getting a B in my maths related EPQ hinder my chances and/or show evidence that I am not good enough at essay writing for said degree?
2) Are Maths, FM, Physics and Econ the right alevels for it?
3) What job prospects are there afterwards?
4) Is it enjoyable for those who are only average at essay writing?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I currently study Mathematics and Philosophy.
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Classics for my A levels. I originally applied to study maths at university and was accepted but during year 13 I realised that I liked philosophy so I went through clearing and got a place at the University of Sheffield to study Mathematics and Philosophy.
I find philosophy a very enjoyable subject to study and a lot of the work I do throughout the semester is reading and thinking than writing, however philosophy is assessed through essay writing (how many essays you need to write will vary based on the university and the module) and so your grades will be dependent on those.
The University of Sheffield offers writing workshops and support, and other universities probably offer similar, so you may be able to improve your essay writing, Uni essays are also different to GCSE or A-levels so you might find that you are better at them than you expected.
In terms of careers, it does depend on what modules you do, but you could go into mathematical careers or philosophy careers, as you will gain the skills from both areas.
Different universities will have a different way of teaching maths and philosophy, for example at Sheffield, I do 60 credits of Maths (within the maths department) and 60 of philosophy (within the philosophy department) and there is little overlap between the two sides of my degree. At other unis it may be more integrated.
I have really enjoyed studying my degree, and would definitely recommend looking into dual honours courses.

Please let me know if you have any more questions,
Lizzie (3rd year BSc Mathematics and Philosophy at the University of Sheffield.
Reply 9
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

I currently study Mathematics and Philosophy.
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Classics for my A levels. I originally applied to study maths at university and was accepted but during year 13 I realised that I liked philosophy so I went through clearing and got a place at the University of Sheffield to study Mathematics and Philosophy.
I find philosophy a very enjoyable subject to study and a lot of the work I do throughout the semester is reading and thinking than writing, however philosophy is assessed through essay writing (how many essays you need to write will vary based on the university and the module) and so your grades will be dependent on those.
The University of Sheffield offers writing workshops and support, and other universities probably offer similar, so you may be able to improve your essay writing, Uni essays are also different to GCSE or A-levels so you might find that you are better at them than you expected.
In terms of careers, it does depend on what modules you do, but you could go into mathematical careers or philosophy careers, as you will gain the skills from both areas.
Different universities will have a different way of teaching maths and philosophy, for example at Sheffield, I do 60 credits of Maths (within the maths department) and 60 of philosophy (within the philosophy department) and there is little overlap between the two sides of my degree. At other unis it may be more integrated.
I have really enjoyed studying my degree, and would definitely recommend looking into dual honours courses.

Please let me know if you have any more questions,
Lizzie (3rd year BSc Mathematics and Philosophy at the University of Sheffield.

I see. Thank you very much for your advice. I have applied to sheffield, especially after considering this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest