The Student Room Group

OCR F321 - 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by intellectual1
There was a thread posted by someone with all the Jan11 papers...its in Chemistry forums somewhere...
Jan10 was a hard paper, Jun10 was an easy paper, Jan11 was a hard paper, so I guess we'll have a medium to easy level of difficulty on Monday hmmm

Definitions are very easy marks...
Calculations are usually worth alot of easy marks if you know how to do them :wink:
Oxidation numbers
Redox
Halogens
Group 1 and 2
Shapes of molecules/ions
Electronic configuration of atoms and ions

This is a unit which almost every person does at least twice, so we can expect high boundaries if it is an easy paper.

Must admit, I haven't done much at all for this either. Worried about the F325 so I've been doing a lot of that. I can do all the calculations for moles etc. I think I will probably lose marks on Group 1&2 and the halogens :s-smilie:

Good luck with your revision.
Original post by INeedToRevise
Must admit, I haven't done much at all for this either. Worried about the F325 so I've been doing a lot of that. I can do all the calculations for moles etc. I think I will probably lose marks on Group 1&2 and the halogens :s-smilie:

Good luck with your revision.

Remember they may ask a question on the electronic configuration of say Ca2+ instead of the usual expected Ca.

s and p orbitals, know the theory behind them, the shapes, the order of filling the sub shells etc

s = sharp
p = principal
d = diffuse
f = fundamental

They relate to the lines of the emission spectra of alkali metals. Emission spectra measure the small burts of energy resulting from electrons moving within the atom.

You definately need to know the Valencies, as they tend to occur in almost every past paper in one form or another. Ionic and Covalent bonds know the difference and theory behind them. Also know how to write ionic equations and balance equations.

Convert everything into grams, if it is in tonnes or kg's...something I gained practice with in past papers.

Know the Avogadro constant 6.023 x 10^23 particles is known as the mole. The symbol for the Avogadro constant is N a

molar mass = mass in grams / amount in moles

Look at the mole ratio!

amount of gas (mol) = volume of gas/ molar volume at that temperature and pressure

At r.t.p. n = V/24 if V measured in dm^3

Dilution factor = concentration of the original solution / concentration of the diluted solution

n = cV

Dot cross diagrams - draw them in pen, as they may not scan and draw all the dots and crosses..

There's much more to it as well, the Group 1, 2 and 7 Chemistry trends, patterns, colours and reactions seem to be very common in past papers...

F324 and F325 will be far less about past papers, and alot more about unfamilar never before seen questions. The emphasis on A2 is now on application of knowledge, take a look at the Jan11 papers, and the examiners report outlines that this is the new form of assessment in A2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
There was a thread posted by someone with all the Jan11 papers...its in Chemistry forums somewhere...
Jan10 was a hard paper, Jun10 was an easy paper, Jan11 was a hard paper, so I guess we'll have a medium to easy level of difficulty on Monday hmmm

Definitions are very easy marks...
Calculations are usually worth alot of easy marks if you know how to do them :wink:
Oxidation numbers
Redox
Halogens
Group 1 and 2
Shapes of molecules/ions
Electronic configuration of atoms and ions

This is a unit which almost every person does at least twice, so we can expect high boundaries if it is an easy paper.

hi,

yh, i just seems to thinking like june papers are quite easier than the Jan ones.
Reply 23
Arghh really need someones help... I think I'm being a Tad stupid here but I can't grasp oxidation numbers in compunds such as Mg2(NO3)2 would someone please explain??? I'm fine with most compounds e.g MgO where O=-2 and Mg=+2.
Reply 24
My second go at this exam, got a high B cause I missed last page :angry: in January
Know your defintions well.
Electronics, mass spectra, formulae, equations, balancing equations, ionic equations.
RAM calculations, Mole, converting Moles, reactions and mole ratios! There has'nt been a volume of gas question for quite a few yrs now...Concentration of solutions and titration calculations - examiners love these questions, look at past papers, they're in the practicals and in the written. Ionic and Covalent bonding, Dot Cross diagrams, Shapes of molecules and ions. Metallic bonding, polarisation and intermolecular forces has'nt really featured yet, they have to assess this every few yrs hmmm The physical properties, this is in past papers as well. Group 2 and Group 7, they love to examine these, so it would be wise to know all the trends, patterns and physical properties and electronic configuration etc Also the Redox disproportionation reactions.

Alot of the marks can be lost if for example there is a 3 mark question, ONLY the first 3 points will be marked, and any others will lead to loss of marks. Examination technique is vital to achieve the higher grades, so practice as many past questions as you can. Also remember, almost every candidate will be retaking Unit 1...considering how tough January 2011 was, we should expect a slightly easier paper and very high grade boundaries. Remember when doing moles calculations convert kg's tonnes to grams...that is a common mistake to make. Oxidation numbers and Redox has featured in almost every paper, and examiners reports cite concerns at how some don't know valencies...
Reply 26
Original post by al3xse
Arghh really need someones help... I think I'm being a Tad stupid here but I can't grasp oxidation numbers in compunds such as Mg2(NO3)2 would someone please explain??? I'm fine with most compounds e.g MgO where O=-2 and Mg=+2.

the overall charge of no3 is -1 you have two of them therefore (no3)2 charge=-2 which means Mg must equal to +2 .the formula is mg(no3)2 not Mg2(no3)2!:smile:
Know your defintions well.
Electronics, mass spectra, formulae, equations, balancing equations, ionic equations.
RAM calculations, Mole, converting Moles, reactions and mole ratios! There has'nt been a volume of gas question for quite a few yrs now...Concentration of solutions and titration calculations - examiners love these questions, look at past papers, they're in the practicals and in the written. Ionic and Covalent bonding, Dot Cross diagrams, Shapes of molecules and ions. Metallic bonding, polarisation and intermolecular forces has'nt really featured yet, they have to assess this every few yrs hmmm The physical properties, this is in past papers as well. Group 2 and Group 7, they love to examine these, so it would be wise to know all the trends, patterns and physical properties and electronic configuration etc Also the Redox disproportionation reactions.

Alot of the marks can be lost if for example there is a 3 mark question, ONLY the first 3 points will be marked, and any others will lead to loss of marks. Examination technique is vital to achieve the higher grades, so practice as many past questions as you can. Also remember, almost every candidate will be retaking Unit 1...considering how tough January 2011 was, we should expect a slightly easier paper and very high grade boundaries. Remember when doing moles calculations convert kg's tonnes to grams...that is a common mistake to make. Oxidation numbers and Redox has featured in almost every paper, and examiners reports cite concerns at how some don't know valencies...

if there is a 3 mark question

unless it specifies to give only 2 points, or only 3 points, you can write as much as you like - right?
Original post by sixthformer
if there is a 3 mark question

unless it specifies to give only 2 points, or only 3 points, you can write as much as you like - right?

The examiners have 1000s of scripts to mark, they are not going to be pleased to see loads of writing, it is not an English exam :P

Bullet points are advised, helps with the clarity and a concise answer

If the number of lines is 6, and it is a 3 mark question, 2 or 3 lines is sufficient detail. It is a common mistake to think you must fill all the lines, when infact it is the key points according to the number of marks.

So stick to writing sufficient detail, but remember it is not an English paper, but Chemistry.

Also they will only mark the first 3 points, even if you've given 5 points. It is exam technique specific. This was all highlighted at a PhilipAllan Revision conference by the examiners.

Look at page 3 of the January 2011 Examiners Report, it mentions alot of detail of how they like scripts to be easy to mark.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/rep_11/ocr_58284_rep_11_gce_jan.pdf
can someone write out the list of colours that you get from reactions? e.g the halogens, group 2 elements etc.

ive only got a cgp for revision and it really doesnt explain it well so will really appreciate if someone can do this.
The examiners have 1000s of scripts to mark, they are not going to be pleased to see loads of writing, it is not an English exam :P

Bullet points are advised, helps with the clarity and a concise answer

If the number of lines is 6, and it is a 3 mark question, 2 or 3 lines is sufficient detail. It is a common mistake to think you must fill all the lines, when infact it is the key points according to the number of marks.

So stick to writing sufficient detail, but remember it is not an English paper, but Chemistry.

Also they will only mark the first 3 points, even if you've given 5 points. It is exam technique specific. This was all highlighted at a PhilipAllan Revision conference by the examiners.

Look at page 3 of the January 2011 Examiners Report, it mentions alot of detail of how they like scripts to be easy to mark.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/rep_11/ocr_58284_rep_11_gce_jan.pdf

ok:smile:

no problem

why do they have extra space at the end of my exams?

but you're spot on
Reply 31
good luck to everyone sitting this exam tomorrow! :smile:

You definately need to know the Valencies.

What are valencies?!? D:
Original post by sixthformer
ok:smile:

no problem

why do they have extra space at the end of my exams?

but you're spot on

Would be gud if someone list important definition we need to know!!

I reckon they wanna give a new one which has never been asked ! Cuz in these 3 years non of was repeated.
Define Successive Ionisation Energy/
The energy required to remove each electron (from a mole of gaseous atoms or ions) in turn
Original post by dream_merchant
What are valencies?!? D:

Yes seriously what are valencies! Can't find it in the textbook
I haven't read this thread, so i apologize if my question has already been asked, but just wondering if someone could clarify all the colours you get when you react the halogens together, and what happens if you add cyclohexane. Different books just say different things.

Appreciate it.
Wtf are valencies? the spec doesn't mention it

Edit: "In chemistry, valence, also known as valency or valence number, is a measure of the number of bonds formed by an atom of a given element." <--- that's easy, nvm
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
I haven't read this thread, so i apologize if my question has already been asked, but just wondering if someone could clarify all the colours you get when you react the halogens together, and what happens if you add cyclohexane. Different books just say different things.

Appreciate it.

Chlorine in cyclohexane is yellow (most reactive)
Bromine in cyclohexane is orange
Iodine in cyclohexane is purple (least reactive)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending