The Student Room Group

AQA A PSYA1 25th May 2011

Hii, is anyone else doing this exam? It's my second time doing it as i got 72/100 UMS last time, really need an A for uni.

How is everyone feeling about it?
Does anyone else who sat this have any tips on getting an A?
What does everyone think the 12 mark question will be? Personally i think it's something to do with eyewitness testimony coz we've already had the working memory and multi store model questions already...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ahh ok, good luck with it! Research methods is not that bad really, just memorising a few new terms. I would suggest learning it in detail though as it will be interwined with the memory and attachment questions. If you have any problems feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 2
Hey folks,

Im doing this also as a private candidate.

No idea what the 12 marker is on but im trying to cram this and paper 2 all in.

What was it on in January 2011? anyone know? It may be a safe bet to rule that out in this Junes question then?
Reply 3
Mm, taking this one too (sat PSYA2 in Jan and did well so only need a low B here to get an A overall).

Haven't started making notes/revising yet.

Any help?
Reply 4
Original post by Mephestic
Hey folks,

Im doing this also as a private candidate.

No idea what the 12 marker is on but im trying to cram this and paper 2 all in.

What was it on in January 2011? anyone know? It may be a safe bet to rule that out in this Junes question then?

From what i heard it was the working memory model but i'm not exactly sure, i shall have a look later :smile:
I know we've also had a 12 marker on the effects of privation and bowlby/learning theory of attachment.
Reply 5
I got 72/100 (UMS) the first time i did it but i need 82/100 to get an A overall for AS. eek..
Reply 6
Thank youu
Reply 7
I'm in Year 13 doing Psych AQA A. The first time I did this Unit 1 paper in Jan 2010, I got a C. But I retook it in the summer and got 94/100, an A. It's generally believed that the exams in the summer are easier than in Jan, so I wouldn't stress about it.
Reply 8
So i've looked at all the available past papers and the 12 markers have been:

January 2009: Outline and evalute one or more explanations of attachment
June 2009: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of anxiety on the accuracy of eyewitness testimony
January 2010: Outline and evaluate research into privation
June 2010: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of institutionalisation
And apparently this Jan it was the working memory model

So we can rule these out for May! :smile:
Hi guys. I'm also retaking this exam. I got 72 UMS the first time I took it as well.
Try out a few past papers, as well as reading examiner notes.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PSYA1-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Also a tip for answering 12 markers;

6 marks to describe in as much detail as possible
6 marks to evaluate, this includes stating both the strengths and weaknesses of the study. I was always told to try and criticise studies in terms of research methods too.
Reply 10
I'm dreading it tbh, there's so many pieces of research to remember. :s-smilie: I'm okay at the memory section and research methods, but my school hasn't even finished teaching us developmental psych!
Reply 11
Original post by alienshex
So i've looked at all the available past papers and the 12 markers have been:

January 2009: Outline and evalute one or more explanations of attachment
June 2009: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of anxiety on the accuracy of eyewitness testimony
January 2010: Outline and evaluate research into privation
June 2010: Outline and evaluate research into the effects of institutionalisation
And apparently this Jan it was the working memory model

So we can rule these out for May! :smile:

Ah thank you! Damn, I wish I'd done it in Jan. now because I can talk about the WMM without revising
What books are you people revising from? Are there any extremely useful ones you can recommend? I'm using the AQA Psychology A book.
Reply 13
Original post by Shinigam_Newtype
What books are you people revising from? Are there any extremely useful ones you can recommend? I'm using the AQA Psychology A book.

You refering to the Book with the Blue Eye on the front? lol. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Shinigam_Newtype

I'm using the complete companion one by Flanagan and Cardwell.
I wish our school were given other ones coz i find it too wishy washy and hard to read at times :/
Original post by Levi_0100
You refering to the Book with the Blue Eye on the front? lol. :smile:

Yeah, that one. Highly recommend it.
Original post by alienshex
I'm using the complete companion one by Flanagan and Cardwell.
I wish our school were given other ones coz i find it too wishy washy and hard to read at times :/

I used the A2 version of that book for my A2's. I didn't really like it, it didn't have much in depth information.
Reply 17
Im retaking to im trying to get an A i think the 12 marker will be on how age effects EWT as anxiety has already been done. So glad the AS exams are easier than unit 3 and 4
Reply 18
Only scrapped a B (70/100) in Jan :frown:

Just restarted my revision, seemed to have forgotten EVERYTHING!

We'll hope it all goes well for you guys aswell!

Good Luck
Reply 19
Original post by Bexxeh
Im retaking to im trying to get an A i think the 12 marker will be on how age effects EWT as anxiety has already been done. So glad the AS exams are easier than unit 3 and 4

I reckon it will be this too.. however they could choose anything :/
I also think it might be 'Discuss and Evaluate what Psychological research has found on the differences between LTM and STM in terms of Encoding, Capacity and Duration' or something like that.
Actually getting quite nervous now, not got left to go :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending