The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xemilyx
i've learnt something new then :smile: thanks for that manatee :smile: i dont think i have ever plagerised im too scared i would get caught and wouldnt want to take that risk, nut it is essentially cheating to answer the OP's question.

You're welcome :smile:. The only reason I know so much about plagiarism is because UCL constantly drums it into us that plagiarism is evil! I'm now so paranoid that I daren't use anything that I can't reference. The result, of course, is an essay with a stupid number of footnotes...
Reply 21
Manatee
You're welcome :smile:. The only reason I know so much about plagiarism is because UCL constantly drums it into us that plagiarism is evil! I'm now so paranoid that I daren't use anything that I can't reference. The result, of course, is an essay with a stupid number of footnotes...

All universities do understandably....yet SOAS don't particularly like footnotes - they prefer the Harvard style referencing, which is inevitably pushing the wordcount all of the time.
Reply 22
Socrates
All universities do understandably....yet SOAS don't particularly like footnotes - they prefer the Harvard style referencing, which is inevitably pushing the wordcount all of the time.

what is that then?
Reply 23
xemilyx
what is that then?

"the quote"(Author, year: page no)
Reply 24
Search on google found;

http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/library/using/harvard_system.html

we use it at LCC too.
I was told by a lecturer that you can plagarise yourself? If this is the case then can it be argued that anything we ever write should not be copied without citations?
LittleMiss
I was told by a lecturer that you can plagarise yourself? If this is the case then can it be argued that anything we ever write should not be copied without citations?

In my department, if we've made certain points or talked about a specific novel extensively in one piece of coursework, we can't make the same points or talk about the same novel in another coursework or an exam. But I think that's just so we don't rely too heavily on one novel and ignore the other ones in the syllabus. Thus having to do more work. Bah.
it's bad to plagarise.if it was your work someone copied and they got better grades you'd feel bad.we've done two weeks of plagarism in class grrr...i know i still ended up plagarising in my essay but it was by accident.i did put the authors in my biblography though so does that count as partial plagarism?
Reply 28
Whilst we can consider the work of others when we come to work on the essay or whatever, it is ethically wrong to use their work and present it as our own.

If we acknowledge our source, what are we left with? Nothing - unless we have applied some of our own thoughts into the process.

Many employers have said that those they recruit do not live up to the expectations they inferred. Of course they won't if they are unable to think for themselves. They will always get caught out one way or another.

Intelligence comes from within oneself - everything else is false!

btw - thanks Socrates for taking the lead with this thread. :smile:
Reply 29
Socrates
Define plagarism.

Plagiarism, mis-spelled?
Plagiarism has always happened, and we're kind of always doing it, whenever we say or write anything. There was an amusing article in the Guardian the other week about it, actually: http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1648818,00.html

On a serious note, I've always wondered, what if you've had an idea of your own, and then you read exactly the same idea in some criticism or whatever? I suppose in coursework at school I've always written 'As so-and-so says, blah blah...'.
Socrates
Inspired by yawn.

Inspired eh?

I think you're plagarising.
Reply 32
thebucketwoman
Inspired eh?

I think you're plagarising.

:rofl:
Reply 33
Anyone who gets caught by plagarism is a wee bit lazy;

All you have to do is find what your looking for, read it, understand it, and rewrite it your own words (doesnt mean add/minus a few words here n there, completey reword it). The software detects continous phrases, but if you reword it completey, it wont detect this, its not as smart as human :smile:
Reply 34
Stranksy
Anyone who gets caught by plagarism is a wee bit lazy;

All you have to do is find what your looking for, read it, understand it, and rewrite it your own words (doesnt mean add/minus a few words here n there, completey reword it). The software detects continous phrases, but if you reword it completey, it wont detect this, its not as smart as human :smile:

Anyone who plagiarises is not only a 'wee bit lazy' - but in your context, also deceitful. :frown:
Reply 35
its only cheating if you dont quote it.

so, just put in the source and then re-word it if you really want.

alternatively be really special and say what you think. someone else has probably said it before but ah well.
Poica
According to a lecture I had. For an hour.

I had that lecture!
From an american woman with an extremely annoying Ruby Wax-like accent.
Reply 37
I was told that, as a programmer, out of everything I will ever write, less than 5% will be my own work. The rest will be re-used code from somewhere else and slightly rewritten.
So I really don't know.
Stealing ideas/work without acknowledgement is cheating, but I'm all for the sharing of ideas so I wouldn't mind having my work being used by other people.
Wineblood
I was told that, as a programmer, out of everything I will ever write, less than 5% will be my own work. The rest will be re-used code from somewhere else and slightly rewritten.
So I really don't know.
Stealing ideas/work without acknowledgement is cheating, but I'm all for the sharing of ideas so I wouldn't mind having my work being used by other people.

Ah, but you will still be applying a methodology (or in your case program) to a new porblem - which is science!!! So that's okay.
ayaan
I had that lecture!
From an american woman with an extremely annoying Ruby Wax-like accent.

You don't like the delightful Brooklyn squawk?

Racist.

Latest

Trending

Trending