The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for Multiple Unis (similar course)

I recently hired London Proofreaders for my personal statement, and they said to talk about why you are applying to that specific university. They gave examples such as do you admire a professor there.The problem is I'm applying to both UCL and KCL. The courses are very similar. So, I can't focus my PS to just one uni. What other more general but related stuff can I talk about?
Original post by yd1201
I recently hired London Proofreaders for my personal statement, and they said to talk about why you are applying to that specific university. They gave examples such as do you admire a professor there.The problem is I'm applying to both UCL and KCL. The courses are very similar. So, I can't focus my PS to just one uni. What other more general but related stuff can I talk about?

I assume you're applying for an undergraduate degree? If so, then I think you've just established that the company you've enlisted to help you write your personal statement don't have any idea what they're talking about.

For all full-time undergraduate degrees at UK universities, applications are made through UCAS. UCAS allow you to provide a single personal statement which they forward to all the universities (up to 5) to which you're applying. As as result, any advice to "talk about why you are applying to that specific university" is utter nonsense. And the suggestion is talk about why "you admire a professor there" is laughable. How much money did these snake oil merchants get from you?

There is a huge amount of advice on writing a personal statement here on TSR. For free. I suggest that you start with the Personal Statement Resource Hub and FAQs.
Original post by yd1201

London proofreaders… is that a scam? They gave you wrong advice and im assuming you gave them some money as well. Personal statement is always about the course, only about the course. Your dedication to the subject, your passion (why you want to go to uni and spend 3 or 4 years learning about it)
If you want personal statement advice, you are here. Your school has sixth form advisor as well, email them
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
London proofreaders… is that a scam? They gave you wrong advice and im assuming you gave them some money as well. Personal statement is always about the course, only about the course. Your dedication to the subject, your passion (why you want to go to uni and spend 3 or 4 years learning about it)
If you want personal statement advice, you are here. Your school has sixth form advisor as well, email the,

Original post by DataVenia
I assume you're applying for an undergraduate degree? If so, then I think you've just established that the company you've enlisted to help you write your personal statement don't have any idea what they're talking about.

For all full-time undergraduate degrees at UK universities, applications are made through UCAS. UCAS allow you to provide a single personal statement which they forward to all the universities (up to 5) to which you're applying. As as result, any advice to "talk about why you are applying to that specific university" is utter nonsense. And the suggestion is talk about why "you admire a professor there" is laughable. How much money did these snake oil merchants get from you?

There is a huge amount of advice on writing a personal statement here on TSR. For free. I suggest that you start with the Personal Statement Resource Hub and FAQs.

https://londonproofreaders.co.uk/
They charge £12.50 per 1000 words, and say ‘We proofread and edit essays, papers, assignments, reports, personal statements’.
They also have a personal statement checker and say ‘Important note We don’t store or share your personal statement. It is 100% safe to use’
‘You don’t need to login to UCAS and don’t need to use their tricky online form’ Definitely a scam
The only thing you can trust your personal statement to is UCAS, else risk it getting stolen (copied and pasted, they submit it, you get marked for plagarism). They try to persuade you not to use UCAS, when microsoft word has spell check
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending