The Student Room Group

Are the models on the ASOS website too thin?

Scroll to see replies

There was one model (who is now on the Disaronno advert on telly) who was very pear shaped. I looked at her clothes more, to see how they fitted her (as I too, am pear shaped). But over the course of 12/18 months her pictures got thinner and thinner. After a certain point I stopped using ASOS because I couldn't relate to the images enough to want to buy the clothes.
They're very slim but they dont look unhealthy.
I noticed this as well. The same goes for the Vestry Online. To be honest, I doubt a lot of these models are thin naturally - you can tell by their face. If someone is thin naturally they can still look healthy; those who just don't eat look tired, washed out and don't have a very good complexion, which you can notice even after photoshopping.
I think most models look too thin.

But apparently that's what loads of girls aspire to look like, so hey, you've only got yourselves to blame.
Reply 24
Original post by Unbiased Opinion

I think she looks pretty unhealthy facially tbh (pretty, yeah, but she looks miserable and tired. And that's with air brushing!)

This. She looks shattered and her skin's not looking great even with all the make up and photoshopping.
Being 5'11 and size 4-6 myself, I would say no as it would be rather hypocritical (and I'm not going to lie, I find the tall and skinny/ lanky look attractive in both males and females).

In regards to relatability, in reality, tall thin models are chosen because they in effect, work best as human hangers- virtually all items of clothing are flattering/ look good and drape well. This of course makes the product look better, perpetuating what is for many a false/glorified image of what the clothes will look like and thus selling the product, the latter of which is most certainly the defining effect. They are there to be 'inspirational' as opposed to relateable and sell the products.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
As most people are saying, they don't look unhealthily thin but I do wish they used more average sized models. It does make me feel as if being 5'5 and a size 10/12 is way too big, even though I know it isn't.
Reply 27
I think for advertising clothes they are too thin but some of them look healthy.
One thing I came across on ASOS when I was browsing was some of their plus size items. Now from what I read this range starts at a size 20 yet the model doesn't look more than a 14 at the largest.
http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Curve-Spot-Trousers/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1598358&cid=9577&sh=0&pge=2&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black
Well most of the models on ASOS are wearing size 8 or 10 clothing, according to the info box next to each image, and considering the clothes go down to a 6, a 4 occasionally, I think that is not too slim.
They also have their curve range, so it's all ok in my opinion
Reply 29
Original post by Unbiased Opinion

I think she looks pretty unhealthy facially tbh (pretty, yeah, but she looks miserable and tired. And that's with air brushing!)

huh? what face??
Yeah I don't find a lot of their bodies particularly attractive tbh. I've often ordered items from ASOS and tried them on and thought they looked better on me than they did on the model. I don't mean that in a conceited way, just that my curves make the clothes look better.. xx
Original post by PygmyShrew
But if you click the photos to see more, the ones showing more of the body don't look unhealthy skinny. She has the normal fat bit underneath the bikini on her back, her shoulderblades don't stick out and she has boobs. I think for the tummy photo she is stretching her arms up.

Bear in mind how air brushed the photos are!
Ignoring the issue of aesthetics (which is far too subjective), I think the models are generally too thin to be "selling" mainstream fashion to a price-conscious and generally young target market. Often the clothes are from highstreet shops and thus are cut to accommodate "average" women so the models do not fill them out in the correct way, meaning that the clothes look quite different (and often less appealing) online than in reality. They also give an inaccurate reflection of fit and proportions, which probably discourages a lot of people from ordering to begin with and certainly causes a significant number of returns (at ASOS's expense, last time I checked). It seems odd to me; on one hand they have "catwalk videos" to give a better reflection of how the clothes hang and move in real life, but mitigate that benefit by putting them on women who are not representative of the majority of their customers... It'd be fine if it was just for advertising purposes, but as a distance seller I'm sure it damages their profit margins due to returns and lost revenue.
(edited 12 years ago)
no but they are wearing too many clothes...
Reply 34
U jelly?
Reply 35
i think the skinny-skinny models just make the clothes look better.... there's been loads of times where ive ordered from asos and i look sooo awful in them! models are essentially clothes-hangers...and the clothes need to look as good as possible for us to buy them.

i also think there's an element of aspirational desire, when looking at the clothes on the models. maybe not consciously, but there's been a few times when ive seen a dress or outfit that i like on asos... but when i actually really think about it, it's not actually that nice at all and that ive just liked it so much because the model looked so good. bit disturbing really.

to sum, i reckon because asos are so vast, they just need models to be clothes hangers that help to shift as much stock as poss.
Reply 36
They look fine, In my area these kind of women are non-existent just size 18+ ..:frown:
Original post by popple7
i think the skinny-skinny models just make the clothes look better.... there's been loads of times where ive ordered from asos and i look sooo awful in them! models are essentially clothes-hangers...and the clothes need to look as good as possible for us to buy them.

But I don't think that's necessarily true, I often think the clothes I buy would look better on models with at least SOME curves (and by curves I don't mean fat, I mean hips that don't look like they belong on a 13 year old boy). For example pencil skirts, shirts and some dresses look better when they are filled, rather than just hanging on the model's tiny frame. I think a bit more variety in shapes might be a good idea for ASOS
xx
Reply 38
Original post by MsAnnThropic
Ignoring the issue of aesthetics (which is far too subjective), I think the models are generally too thin to be "selling" mainstream fashion to a price-conscious and generally young target market. Often the clothes are from highstreet shops and thus are cut to accommodate "average" women so the models do not fill them out in the correct way, meaning that the clothes look quite different (and often less appealing) online than in reality. They also give an inaccurate reflection of fit and proportions, which probably discourages a lot of people from ordering to begin with and certainly causes a significant number of returns (at ASOS's expense, last time I checked). It seems odd to me; on one hand they have "catwalk videos" to give a better reflection of how the clothes hang and move in real life, but mitigate that benefit by putting them on women who are not representative of the majority of their customers... It'd be fine if it was just for advertising purposes, but as a distance seller I'm sure it damages their profit margins due to returns and lost revenue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure ASOS is the largest growing fashion retailer in the UK. I think they are one of the highest earning fashion retailers in the world.
I don't think they are too skinny, but yes they are skinny, lets just say, they could put a stone on, or even two, and wouldn't need to worry about it!
But I do agree that the bikini model looks rather ill in the face, she looks very drawn and miserable.

Quick Reply

Latest