The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maramore
Please can someone post answers? Thank you! The 3H ones were amazing, whoever posted those. :smile:

Oh, and how did you find it? I thought it was actually easier than 3H, the only difficult one being that 'show' question about the shares, in dollars, but I think I got it in the end when I realised it was x% not $x profit. Any thoughts?

same, I really was not stuck on anything and thought that it was easier. But I think that is was NOT the easiest that i've ever done so.................
Reply 2
What was the length of PQ for the trapezium :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I thought that was much harder than the other one, which wasn't too bad imo.

I couldnt do the shares one or the inverse function one, and i got the surds question, but I dont think ive put down enough working

And for the quadratic equation did you only write down one number, because I thought that it just said solve, and therefore it wasnt connected to the shares question in so much of a way that you only wrote down the postive value, so i wrote down both the postive and negative value. Will I lose marks?
I found the last vector question hard - and I did a volume scale factor for the ticket question >.<
Reply 5
Original post by luminouslime
I found the last vector question hard - and I did a volume scale factor for the ticket question >.<

what was the answer to the ticket one?
Reply 6

wasn't it just ASF? for the ticket question
Reply 7
For the inverse function one, what you have to do is put it equal to y, then rearrange to make x the subject, then change all the x to y. It was something like x+1/x right? Or was it minus? Anyway, I did:

x+1/x=y
x+1=xy
1=xy-x
1=x(y-1)
1/y-1=x

Then changed x to y.. and wrote the final answer as 1/x-1
I think.
For the quadratic equation I wrote both values, not sure :/

For the surds did you get 5root2 x root6? I had to ask for extra paper for that working, haha, I've not looked at surds since Year 9 or something ><
Reply 8
i got 63 for the ticket one
Reply 9
Original post by student2221
what was the answer to the ticket one?

63 I believe.
Reply 10
and yh i got 5root2 x root6, but what working did you show?
Reply 11

I just worked out both of the vectors, and then saw that one was a multiple of the other, it was 4 I think.
Reply 12
Original post by sunil6
and yh i got 5root2 x root6, but what working did you show?

The original two surds, I kept breaking them down into smaller ones, all the root4s and root 9s could be changed into whole numbers, and eventually when I saw that I had a root6 in there, I tried to make all the other surds left fit together into one surd and it worked. Lol that's probably not the most mathematical way to explain it but oh well. What did you do? Oh, and I checked the answer by putting it into the calculator, both the original and my answer simplified to 10root3.
Reply 13
The original two surds, I kept breaking them down into smaller ones, all the root4s and root 9s could be changed into whole numbers, and eventually when I saw that I had a root6 in there, I tried to make all the other surds left fit together into one surd and it worked. Lol that's probably not the most mathematical way to explain it but oh well. What did you do? Oh, and I checked the answer by putting it into the calculator, both the original and my answer simplified to 10root3.

Just a note. Both root50 and 5root2 would be sufficient answers to that question. They're the same in value so the examiners can't mark you down. Both 7.07...
Reply 14
With the surd question....i simplified 5root2 to root50? as it said to give it as a surd

but i should get the working marks if we were supposed to leave it as 5root2

looks like i will, thank you
(edited 12 years ago)
i think the hardest question on that paper was by far the shares question..
Reply 16
Original post by minijoe3
With the surd question....i simplified 5root2 to root50? as it said to give it as a surd

but i should get the working marks if we were supposed to leave it as 5root2

looks like i will, thank you

Yay :smile: I absolutely hate surds. Do they feature prominently in A Level Maths, does anyone know?

Histogram question was a gift. And I was surprised to see a construction question on there, haven't been many on past papers, luckily I remembered how to do it (hard to forget how to draw two arcs actually but oh well). You know on the cuboid question, when it said work out the angle between the line and the plane, was it just me that had no idea what to do for about 10 minutes until realising it just meant the angle in the triangle? :|
Reply 17
Original post by tallguitarist
i think the hardest question on that paper was by far the shares question..

Agreed, because not many people will have noticed that it was x% and probably tried to work it out as if it was $x. Luckily it was only 3 marks.
Reply 18
Yay :smile: I absolutely hate surds. Do they feature prominently in A Level Maths, does anyone know?

Histogram question was a gift. And I was surprised to see a construction question on there, haven't been many on past papers, luckily I remembered how to do it (hard to forget how to draw two arcs actually but oh well). You know on the cuboid question, when it said work out the angle between the line and the plane, was it just me that had no idea what to do for about 10 minutes until realising it just meant the angle in the triangle? :|

3D trigonometry is fun. =].
Reply 19
Original post by BananaPie
3D trigonometry is fun. =].

Indeed, I just didn't see it xD felt a bit ridiculous when I realised how easy it was to do. There was a lot of pythag and trig on that paper wasn't there? More than usual, I felt.

Latest

Trending

Trending