The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toni42
Just want to point out the number of bloody Limousine's who have rammed me out of barns, lifted me over 6 bar gates, pulled the pens down onto me etc. So glad farmer has now moved to South Devons, however so many problems calving limousin x heifers with the South Devon calves!
Goats are a lot easier and nicer (and less likely to try and kill you on night shift when trying to resusitate calves) :smile:

Oh and the Belgian Blue stuff we actually covered in our lectures at uni. And for inbreeding stuff particularly in dogs we cover. For example the dalmation is one of the few mammals that removes ammonia as uric acid rather than urea :colondollar:

Is it sad that I was really proud that I knew that? :tongue:

I did my EPQ on inbreeding and this came up on Pedigree Dogs Exposed: 3 Years On. :smile:

:eek: Cows can be scary!!! There was one particular dairy cow that I had a few encounters with, but nothing like that!
we have some mental cows. cows with calves can be worse than bulls.
and as for BBs, my dad told me that when he was in Belgium they told him that they have the cows for maybe 3-4 calvings and each time they have a C section because they are too muscley, then after they cant have any more C sections they are culled out. i think its awfull really.
Original post by matty9694

I did my EPQ on inbreeding and this came up on Pedigree Dogs Exposed: 3 Years On. :smile:

:eek: Cows can be scary!!! There was one particular dairy cow that I had a few encounters with, but nothing like that!

I did my Science in Society coursework on inbreeding! :biggrin:

And yes cows can be scary! my first day of dairy work experience i was petrified of them. Proud to say by my third day I milked every single one without batting an eyelid =) there was this one cow who really didn't like it though and im surprised i wasn't kicked by it at all as it had pretty fast feet!
Original post by kalouki10
I did my Science in Society coursework on inbreeding! :biggrin:

And yes cows can be scary! my first day of dairy work experience i was petrified of them. Proud to say by my third day I milked every single one without batting an eyelid =) there was this one cow who really didn't like it though and im surprised i wasn't kicked by it at all as it had pretty fast feet!

I did an EPQ on it yet I feel as if i've barely scratched the surface! It's such an interesting subject, that's probably why my January modules dipped a little. :redface:

I managed to avoid getting kicked too, but the wife of the farmer got kicked right in the face! :eek: She had a black eye for a while. :s-smilie:
I did an EPQ on it yet I feel as if i've barely scratched the surface! It's such an interesting subject, that's probably why my January modules dipped a little. :redface:

I managed to avoid getting kicked too, but the wife of the farmer got kicked right in the face! :eek: She had a black eye for a while. :s-smilie:

My EPQ was about laminitis. I spent such a long time on it but it feels like I only know a small amount about it :frown: My biology unit 4 dropped slightly in January and I was 2 marks off of an A -.- I need an A this time around especially since i messed up task one of unit 6 :frown:

The farmer was telling me about how he once got his arm caught between the toes of a cow. I feel very lucky that I was never kicked!
Original post by kalouki10
My EPQ was about laminitis. I spent such a long time on it but it feels like I only know a small amount about it :frown: My biology unit 4 dropped slightly in January and I was 2 marks off of an A -.- I need an A this time around especially since i messed up task one of unit 6 :frown:

The farmer was telling me about how he once got his arm caught between the toes of a cow. I feel very lucky that I was never kicked!

I kept a journal for mine, but I gave it in with the project and i'm yet to get it back. Mine slipped A LOT but luckily it was only the small module and I had some high As in the other modules. :redface:

:eek: Me too!
Reply 1986

Awesome thing to do EP on I did mine on link between lameness and euthanasia in horses. "How lame is too lame?". Was awesome looked at disease and purpose of horse as well as age. But admittedly found it rather depressing how many hobby horse owners would euthanise rather than retire an otherwise healthy happy horse.

Our "homework" from one of our lecturers was to watch Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
And love cows just prefer beef bulls and dairy cows to those few beef cows who see you with iodine or a milk bottle and think "kill!"
Woo think my chemistry exam went well today, can't believe I misread one of the questions and wrote down the wrong thing but hopefully I will get 1 mark out of 3 for that question

I love cows they're such so comical especially when they run cause they're legs are all over the place :biggrin:

I remember I went to a vets a few days after watch pedigree dogs exposed and saw a dalmation with bladder stones and I was like is that because they don't break down uric acid into urea and they where all impressed :smile:
Original post by Toni42
Awesome thing to do EP on I did mine on link between lameness and euthanasia in horses. "How lame is too lame?". Was awesome looked at disease and purpose of horse as well as age. But admittedly found it rather depressing how many hobby horse owners would euthanise rather than retire an otherwise healthy happy horse.

Our "homework" from one of our lecturers was to watch Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
And love cows just prefer beef bulls and dairy cows to those few beef cows who see you with iodine or a milk bottle and think "kill!"

That sounds amazing!!! Luckily i've only worked at yards where they don't euthanise their horses unless they really have to, there were a couple of retired horses at my first yard.

I absolutely loved working with the dairy cows (bar 1) but some of the beef cows were pretty scary!

Original post by beccac94
Woo think my chemistry exam went well today, can't believe I misread one of the questions and wrote down the wrong thing but hopefully I will get 1 mark out of 3 for that question

I love cows they're such so comical especially when they run cause they're legs are all over the place :biggrin:

I remember I went to a vets a few days after watch pedigree dogs exposed and saw a dalmation with bladder stones and I was like is that because they don't break down uric acid into urea and they where all impressed :smile:

Was it F325??? I did mine in January and i'm doing F324 this summer.

Cows can be pretty stupid! Once, a cow walked on both sides of the metal bars (Where they get milked) and started to fall down into the 'dug-out part' where me and the farmer were! We were manically trying to push it backwards and upwards at the same time, whilst it was mooing like crazy! Thankfully we didn't get crushed! :tongue:

Haha! That happens with me sometimes, now i've done my EPQ, as it was mostly based on Cavaliers and St. Bernards. My vet was particularly impressed when I told her that early neutering causes osteosarcoma to become more prevalent. She said she didn't know at first, but then went on a course and said I was right. :smile:

Cows can be pretty stupid! Once, a cow walked on both sides of the metal bars (Where they get milked) and started to fall down into the 'dug-out part' where me and the farmer were! We were manically trying to push it backwards and upwards at the same time, whilst it was mooing like crazy! Thankfully we didn't get crushed! :tongue:

Haha! That happens with me sometimes, now i've done my EPQ, as it was mostly based on Cavaliers and St. Bernards. My vet was particularly impressed when I told her that early neutering causes osteosarcoma to become more prevalent. She said she didn't know at first, but then went on a course and said I was right. :smile:

I did it in January as well but only got a B so I thought I might just resit it even though im on an A overall just in case.

Hahaha that just made me laugh :P the cows on the farm I went to didn't do anything like that tbh it was the farmer most the time who was a bit silly as he was like "I've lost one the cows" so me and the apprentice spent 3 hours looking for the cow had to walk miles down the road to his other fields and it turned out he had the wrong number and the cow had been there with the others the whole time :frown:

Haha you know more than the vet :P
Reply 1990
That sounds amazing!!! Luckily i've only worked at yards where they don't euthanise their horses unless they really have to, there were a couple of retired horses at my first yard.

I absolutely loved working with the dairy cows (bar 1) but some of the beef cows were pretty scary!

I got asked if it was correct to neuter all dogs and cats at 6 months who weren't going to be used for breeding. I said no due to risks if at wrong time etc, also about incontinence, links between weight gain etc. Apparently the decreased risk of cancer that comes with spaying and castrating isn't very high (11% less if done at 6 months). So very useful stuff to know :wink:

Although current yard I keep my TB at is a competition yard we see a lot of owners with horses over 20 that can rarely be ridden who are kept on, hence I found it so shocking that others at yard would put down young horses for same reason. Admittedly both racing yards and ridings schools said what I had expected.

And go Cavaliers! I know they are the most unhealthy dogs in existence...... But my parents love them and refuse to change breeds or change to mongrels.

Did you look into PRA? Very big in Setters and Corgis but seems to affect vast majority of pedigree breeds
I did it in January as well but only got a B so I thought I might just resit it even though im on an A overall just in case.

Hahaha that just made me laugh :P the cows on the farm I went to didn't do anything like that tbh it was the farmer most the time who was a bit silly as he was like "I've lost one the cows" so me and the apprentice spent 3 hours looking for the cow had to walk miles down the road to his other fields and it turned out he had the wrong number and the cow had been there with the others the whole time :frown:

Haha you know more than the vet :P

Oh wow!!! I would never put myself through that again, lucky I got an A in January! Even my Chemistry teacher said that you'd have to be a masochist to want to resit again. :tongue:

Haha!!! It was normally me doing that sort of thing! One day it was really windy and I didn't tie the gate back, so it closed on itself, opening the way to the road. The farmers wife came running in shouting ''The cows are running off down the lane!!!'' I was so embarrassed! :redface:

She is an amazing vet! It was quite weird that we only had the discussion about 3 days before she went on the course.

Original post by Toni42
I got asked if it was correct to neuter all dogs and cats at 6 months who weren't going to be used for breeding. I said no due to risks if at wrong time etc, also about incontinence, links between weight gain etc. Apparently the decreased risk of cancer that comes with spaying and castrating isn't very high (11% less if done at 6 months). So very useful stuff to know :wink:

Although current yard I keep my TB at is a competition yard we see a lot of owners with horses over 20 that can rarely be ridden who are kept on, hence I found it so shocking that others at yard would put down young horses for same reason. Admittedly both racing yards and ridings schools said what I had expected.

And go Cavaliers! I know they are the most unhealthy dogs in existence...... But my parents love them and refuse to change breeds or change to mongrels.

Did you look into PRA? Very big in Setters and Corgis but seems to affect vast majority of pedigree breeds

I didn't know that! Thanks. :smile:

I'd love to have a horse! My friend has 2 and she's going to teach me how to ride this summer! I'm quite nervous as i've only ever had 1 lesson.

I love them, but knowing about how unhealthy they are would probably stop me from getting one. I think i've scared my whole EPQ class off them as well, by showing them a video of one with Syringomyelia, I even had some girls crying during my presentation. :frown:

I came across PRA but due to time constraints, I didn't really do any research into it.
Oh wow!!! I would never put myself through that again, lucky I got an A in January! Even my Chemistry teacher said that you'd have to be a masochist to want to resit again. :tongue:

Haha!!! It was normally me doing that sort of thing! One day it was really windy and I didn't tie the gate back, so it closed on itself, opening the way to the road. The farmers wife came running in shouting ''The cows are running off down the lane!!!'' I was so embarrassed! :redface:

She is an amazing vet! It was quite weird that we only had the discussion about 3 days before she went on the course.

I didn't know that! Thanks. :smile:

I'd love to have a horse! My friend has 2 and she's going to teach me how to ride this summer! I'm quite nervous as i've only ever had 1 lesson.

I love them, but knowing about how unhealthy they are would probably stop me from getting one. I think i've scared my whole EPQ class off them as well, by showing them a video of one with Syringomyelia, I even had some girls crying during my presentation. :frown:

I came across PRA but due to time constraints, I didn't really do any research into it.

The test we did today was actually a lot easier than the one in january so I'm sort of glad I resat. My teachers said I was crazy for resitting but I was like ahh well I've already got a B so if I do better then that good but if I do worse then ahh well :smile:

Hahaha how many cows escaped??? I did something like that when I was helping to move some sheep and I closed a gate that one of the people who work there told me to close then the farmer came over to me and was like the sheep are all over the yard because you closed that gate or some rubbish...they weren't they where in their pen, liar.

You should definatly learn to ride, I'm getting riding withdrawals at the moment cause I've stopped going for a bit due to exams.
The test we did today was actually a lot easier than the one in january so I'm sort of glad I resat. My teachers said I was crazy for resitting but I was like ahh well I've already got a B so if I do better then that good but if I do worse then ahh well :smile:

Hahaha how many cows escaped??? I did something like that when I was helping to move some sheep and I closed a gate that one of the people who work there told me to close then the farmer came over to me and was like the sheep are all over the yard because you closed that gate or some rubbish...they weren't they where in their pen, liar.

You should definatly learn to ride, I'm getting riding withdrawals at the moment cause I've stopped going for a bit due to exams.

Ahh! Wish i'd have done it now, because I really want an A* but I got 129/150.

Quite a lot escaped! There were about 175 cows in total, some were still being milked and some managed to go into the field before the wind hit, so i'd say about 50! :tongue: CRINGE!!! Luckily they didn't run in opposite directions. :smile:

It hurt quite a bit last time, but it was really fun. :smile:
Reply 1994
Original post by Angry cucumber
Edit: The problem with Limousine cattle is that a small proportion of them are completely wild - even with regular contact, I've seen a Limmy cow jump a 6 bar gate to avoid being Pregnancy diagnosed.... was an interesting sight to say the least!!

On the cow jumping thing, has anyone seen this...
Original post by BeHappy

:eek:

Where is this from???
Reply 1996
:eek:

Where is this from???

Saw a picture in the newspaper once, google cow jumping and there a couple of pics on there.

Impressive!
Original post by BeHappy
Saw a picture in the newspaper once, google cow jumping and there a couple of pics on there.

Impressive!

I'm really not sure what to think of it all...:s-smilie:

Who ever thought of putting a saddle on a cow? :confused:
Reply 1998
I'm really not sure what to think of it all...:s-smilie:

Who ever thought of putting a saddle on a cow? :confused:

It's madness! Also buying/fitting that saddle must've been ridiculously expensive, I mean, who makes saddles for cows?
She must really trust that cow, and vice versa I guess.
Original post by BeHappy

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl2:

That is incredible!!!!!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending