The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they're different, thats the differenc! they have different specifications, different exams, different coursework, different books etc
Reply 2
im doing forces and motion 2821 is that OCR A
Reply 3
massimo
im doing forces and motion 2821 is that OCR A

yup, i did OCR B last year and that wasnt 1 of the modules
Reply 4
It's generally accepted that real men take OCR B over OCR A.
Reply 5
hahahaha no
Reply 6
SunGod87
It's generally accepted that real men take OCR B over OCR A.

its true
Reply 7
It's generally accepted that real men take OCR B over OCR A
what modules are in OCR B anyway ?? or let me guess OCR B just has more maths in it.
Reply 8
massimo
what modules are in OCR B anyway ?? or let me guess OCR B just has more maths in it.

I wish it did, at AS there really isnt much maths, onlyt a bit bout mechanics, and a couple of equations u need to know. Although at A2 it gets a little more mathsy, but i wish there was more maths in it
rpotter
I wish it did, at AS there really isnt much maths, onlyt a bit bout mechanics, and a couple of equations u need to know. Although at A2 it gets a little more mathsy, but i wish there was more maths in it

OCR A is better than OCR B. Well it has better titles for modules anyway. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Widowmaker
OCR A is better than OCR B. Well it has better titles for modules anyway. :rolleyes:

I would say that OCR A is probably better than OCR B in every respect except the module titles.

"THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CLOCKWORK UNIVERSE"

:smile:
OCR A is harder, has the most to learn out of any exam board specification for physics :frown:
With a teacher who just reads out of a book that's not the best one to be doing!
Reply 12
OCR B seems to be quite applied, lots of references to the real world *shudders*. The module titles all sound the same, Physics in Action, Physics in Practice etc. so its easy to forget which one you're doing. Other than the awesomness of the "Rise and fall of the clockwork universe" title.
Reply 13
I did OCR A and liked it - I can still remember the module numbers! 2824 was the hellishly big one, I remember that much. It was like an entire A2 textbook for one module! Yeah actually, the OCR A 2824 textbook was the same size as the OCR Chemistry A2 book! (all modules)

Oh well, I got 85/90 for that one, so it can't have been that bad.
OCR A is the more traditional syllabus. Mechanics / Electricity / waves in the first year.

OCR B is a more modern 'themed' approach teaching the physics via applications.

My personal preference is for A over B - but my VP prefers B over A.
A is a regular A-level, written by regular exam board physics people.

B was created by demons at the institute of physics, and has an excessive amount of coursework. There is also only one textbook available for it (the iop's own), and it's bloody awful.
Reply 16
DanielJBaker
There is also only one textbook available for it (the iop's own), and it's bloody awful.

There's a book by Ken Dobson which covers the pretty much the same things as in the OCR B book, we use it to supplement the terrible terrible IoP book, I'll try to find it on amazon for you

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physics-Collins-Advanced-Science-Dobson/dp/0007267509/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210182802&sr=1-1

that's the book, it doesn't cover the syllabus exactly, but I still find it very good to learn from.
OCR B is the biggest load of *******s in the history of *******s

ps that person with the pink floyd picture is cool
Reply 18
Physic b is rubbish! Hope they burn 90% of the book is crap! So much history rather than facts! If i was doing physics history then fair enough
Reply 19
I much prefer theory rather than experiments so i'm glad i had A over B.

Latest