The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: 2012 Graduate Scheme Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonshlong
Hey guys, been reading the thread over the last few weeks and was dismayed by the total negativity of some people here.

Totally agree. Couple of years ago this forum was actually useful.
The outlook might be grimmer than last year's, but there are grad jobs. Most banks have ring-fenced their graduate programmes and there will always be spots for the good candidates. My 2 cents - stop whining, go talk with professionals, go to events, expand your network AND APPLY EARLY!
Reply 261
If you're looking for FO positions with no experience, then of course you will find it difficult. If you're looking for MO / BO with experience (like me), then it should be significantly easier.
Reply 262
Original post by jermaindefoe

Original post by jermaindefoe
where do you find the name of the smaller firms. Coming from a comp sci background its hard to no of any firms outside the "biggest". I managed to get an interview with shell though :woo:

I managed to get my hands on a Reddbook dealer directory which has been useful (150 quid a year subscription usually!). But as for online definitely have a look at:

London stock exchange equity dealer directory pdf
FSA's list of registered banks pdf
Hedge funds I trawled through the hedge funds awards website.

Obviously they are just lists of companies and you'll have to do your own research into the companies from there but nevertheless a good start if you are struggling to find places.

Well done with Shell by the way mate, hope the interview goes well!
Original post by Donnie-Brasco
Totally agree. Couple of years ago this forum was actually useful.
The outlook might be grimmer than last year's, but there are grad jobs. Most banks have ring-fenced their graduate programmes and there will always be spots for the good candidates. My 2 cents - stop whining, go talk with professionals, go to events, expand your network AND APPLY EARLY!

I disagree, it's especially tough this year. I saw some amazing interns not get converted. If someone who is good, who's been there for 10 weeks doesn't get a job, what chance does an outside applicant stand?

I would apply for internships again this year, and try to start straight after. A lot of banks have grad programmes starting in Feb too.

It's one thing being positive, and it's another being realistic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 264
Is RBS GBM Sales rotational, and anyone know how long for if so?

Looks like the programme changed from last year where it was a fixed placement, so I'm having to re-write my answer for Why GBM programme?
Reply 265
Original post by eivoquraf
I disagree, it's especially tough this year. I saw some amazing interns not get converted. If someone who is good, who's been there for 10 weeks doesn't get a job, what chance does an outside applicant stand?

I would apply for internships again this year, and try to start straight after. A lot of banks have grad programmes starting in Feb too.

It's one thing being positive, and it's another being realistic.

It can be a case of no headcount a lot of the times
Reply 266
Original post by M.A.H

You didn't think that post through, did you?
Original post by M.A.H

Original post by Swayum
You didn't think that post through, did you?

Yeah....you really didn't...
Reply 268
Original post by eivoquraf
Yeah....you really didn't...

i didnt at all haha :tongue:
Reply 269
create your own fake company, and start trading with fake numbers and turnover
Original post by rza89
create your own fake company, and start trading with fake numbers and turnover

congratulations on your success in humour.
I had a telephone interview on Monday and still haven't received a reply. They said they would get back to me 'asap'. How long should I wait before I email them to ask what's going on?
Original post by Desert Eagle
I had a telephone interview on Monday and still haven't received a reply. They said they would get back to me 'asap'. How long should I wait before I email them to ask what's going on?

Sit tight mate... the fact you emailed them is not going to suddenly convince them to give you a job. HR always say they will be back ASAP and end up taking longer to get back to you. Good luck
Original post by InternshipPlease
Sit tight mate... the fact you emailed them is not going to suddenly convince them to give you a job. HR always say they will be back ASAP and end up taking longer to get back to you. Good luck

I guess that makes sense. It's the waiting stage that killlllls!
M&G have got to be taking the piss.

5 questions x 2000 characters each + cover letter + work experience details. This has to be the most long winded graduate application form I've ever seen.

Actually contemplating not applying as a result, so boring and as if anyone gives a sh*t.
Reply 275
Anyone get this from RBS today.

Thank you again for your application to The Royal Bank of Scotland Graduate Programme.

As you are aware, you have successfully passed all stages up to this point, and the next stage will be a face-to-face assessment.

We are now writing to inform you that we have started to select which candidates will attend the next stage.

We run a number of assessments for each programme, and only contact the people we select to attend each event. This means that you may not hear immediately whether your application will be progressed, but you are now under consideration, and we will update you in due course.

Because we receive many high quality applications, and spaces at the next round are limited, please be aware that we are unable to confirm at this stage whether we will be inviting you to the next stage.

Also recieved numerical from Socgen today. Havent still heard from nomura and CS after tests. Also anyone recieve HSBC tests. This is all for trading.
Anyone know which banks let you apply for grad jobs and internships at the same time?
If you have an 1st class degree from LSE and an internship at GS under your belt then you can be optimistic.

I'm sorry but you cannot be too optimistic in this environment. You wouldn't believe how competitive it is to get an IB job. Seems like everyone I meet who has started this year at the Big 4 are all planning on making a move to IB after their grad schemes are finished.

But the application method (unless you have the above credentials) will not reap many benefits. Getting your foot in the door will require a lot of effort and is still possible. Just employ the right strategy.

Good luck to you all and as we are all in competition with one another - may the best man win ;-)
Reply 278
Original post by Player111
Anyone get this from RBS today.

Thank you again for your application to The Royal Bank of Scotland Graduate Programme.

As you are aware, you have successfully passed all stages up to this point, and the next stage will be a face-to-face assessment.

We are now writing to inform you that we have started to select which candidates will attend the next stage.

We run a number of assessments for each programme, and only contact the people we select to attend each event. This means that you may not hear immediately whether your application will be progressed, but you are now under consideration, and we will update you in due course.

Because we receive many high quality applications, and spaces at the next round are limited, please be aware that we are unable to confirm at this stage whether we will be inviting you to the next stage.

Also recieved numerical from Socgen today. Havent still heard from nomura and CS after tests. Also anyone recieve HSBC tests. This is all for trading.

Same for RBS and HSBC. No news from CS, Nomura or many other after tests..
Original post by Ludovic_88
M&G have got to be taking the piss.

5 questions x 2000 characters each + cover letter + work experience details. This has to be the most long winded graduate application form I've ever seen.

Actually contemplating not applying as a result, so boring and as if anyone gives a sh*t.

What division are you applying for? Feel free not to apply, less competition for those who really want to work for the uk's leading investment house!

Quick Reply

Latest