The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Everything hangs in the balance - no pressure :smile: I've heard Oxford much prefer candidates with excellent grades at GCSE AND A level. GCSEs are genuinely a make or break thing in some applications, so please don't underestimate them. If you really work, and I mean work, over this next year, the results you obtain should be fairly indicative of future attainment possibilities and therefore Oxford chances. Get stuck in now and you'll end up with a cracking end result I'm sure. You sound pretty intelligent but hard work is absolutely crucial. Start setting out revision plans and buy revision books. Keep on top of work and start revising slowly from about two months before exams, gradually building up hours per day as you near them. Seriously, you can do it - hard work and self belief are key. PM me if you need more advice :smile: I won't say good luck, because if you work hard enough, luck isn't a big player ! Instead - I know you can do it, give it your best shot.
Reply 1261
Original post by elliegeraghty
I know you're all ridiculously sick of these types of questions, but if you have any other advice that would be great.
I'm fifteen now, so I'll be finishing school in just over three years. My absolute dream is to go to Oxford University, but I don't know if I have the required intelligence. I haven't even done what is the equivalent to GCSE's yet, so I still have plenty of time. My grades at the moment are mostly B's and C's, which obviously are not good enough to get me into Oxford. But for my Leaving Cert (Equivalent to A Levels) I'll be doing less subjects than I am now and I have a passion for all the ones I've chosen, so I'm going to do my very best to get my scores up to A's by the time I'd be applying.
Is this at all achievable? Or would I just be doing it all for nothing?

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

your TEACHERS are a lot more likely to give you a helpful, relevant answer to your question than a bunch of students who don't know you.
the truth is, we can't say whether you'll get in, because we don't know you.
my advice is, if you don't think you'll get very good grades at (equiv. to GCSE), then arrange a load of work experience/other helpful things to do with the course you'd like to do. that might help you to stand out.

you can always retake some of them when you're doing your (equiv. to A-Levels), although i'm not sure how much Oxford/Cambridge like retakes.

you've got lots of time. when you're in sixth form and you've had the opportunity to research lots of unis properly, you might realise you'd actually prefer to go somewhere else! also, later on you'll know more of your capabilities.
The reason Oxford look at GCSEs is because they're a good measure of general intelligence. Nobody actually works hard for their GCSEs (except Asian kids with horrible parents), people might put in some time for revision before final exams, but nobody starts planning years in advance, the kids who'll get lots of A*s are just naturally sharp. Keep at whatever you're doing now, don't sweat it, and if you're not getting A*s by the time you're about to sit your final exams then you're probably not good enough. I'm sure you're a perfectly intelligent person, I'm just saying, there's no need to overdo it.

You claim that you have always wanted to go to Oxford, are you sure of this? It's easy to be bedazzled by the big buildings, grand halls, and robes; all of which look like they were taken straight out of Harry Potter (although the opposite is true), but Oxford offers a very different university experience. Just take this into account. And don't be blinded by prestige, Oxford might be the university your grandma has heard of, but that doesn't mean it's the only good one. If you want to go because your parents want you to go that's not a good reason. And for goodness sake don't make it your life, to put it quite bluntly the chances of anyone getting into Oxford are slim, if you get past the initial phase and invited to interview getting in is probably over 90% based on interviews and entry tests, screw one of those up and you probably won't make it. Heck, even if you do well, there may simply be better candidates.

tl;dr take it easy, work hard, but not like a robot because it won't get you into Oxford. And make sure you actually know what going to Oxford would mean for you, and don't set your heart on it.
Reply 1263
I know it's very early, as I haven't sat even my GCSE equivalents (stuck north of the border with most of my family, my heart, and my mindset irretrievably ensconced on the other end of the country :frown: ), and I haven't decided what I'd actually like to read at Oxford yet - I just visited once, liked the atmosphere and ethic more than that of the other universities I visited, <shallow>fell in love with the campus</shallow> :tongue: , and decided on it. But I'd like to ask about my school career so far, so I have time to change things, rather than waiting until next year when it may be too late.

Standard Grades/Int 2s: (these aren't actual passes, but which subjects I'm studying)

English

Maths

Chemistry

Physics

Biology

Geography

History

Latin

Highers:
My school offered for me to sit two highers early. In hindsight, I chose really badly, but my school's advisor advised against doing more mainstream ones (I can't recall the exact reason, but it convinced my parents). Again, these aren't results, just subjects

Computing

Politics

Extracurriculars:

School internet radio show

Debating society

Student council

Founder and president of the school Conservative Society

Interact (Rotary Club youth wing)

I'm going to private school for sixth form, where I plan to do the IB. My English and French teachers have offered to let me do their advanced highers next year; I declined because I want to be able to concentrate on my standard grades/int 2s, but the offer's still open, and I may still change my mind, depending on how fond I decide I am of sleep. :P I have one political party internship lined up for 2013, and I'm considering several summer programs for 2014 (I'm currently leaning towards the Telluride Association one). I'm essentially trying to pack my academic and extracurricular timetable as much as I can with things I'm interested in. If anyone can offer any pointers at all, they're very much appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm going to need all the friendly advice I can get. :smile:
Original post by Lenina
I know it's very early, as I haven't sat even my GCSE equivalents (stuck north of the border with most of my family, my heart, and my mindset irretrievably ensconced on the other end of the country :frown: ), and I haven't decided what I'd actually like to read at Oxford yet - I just visited once, liked the atmosphere and ethic more than that of the other universities I visited, <shallow>fell in love with the campus</shallow> :tongue: , and decided on it. But I'd like to ask about my school career so far, so I have time to change things, rather than waiting until next year when it may be too late.

Standard Grades/Int 2s: (these aren't actual passes, but which subjects I'm studying)

English

Maths

Chemistry

Physics

Biology

Geography

History

Latin

Highers:
My school offered for me to sit two highers early. In hindsight, I chose really badly, but my school's advisor advised against doing more mainstream ones (I can't recall the exact reason, but it convinced my parents). Again, these aren't results, just subjects

Computing

Politics

Extracurriculars:

School internet radio show

Debating society

Student council

Founder and president of the school Conservative Society

Interact (Rotary Club youth wing)

I'm going to private school for sixth form, where I plan to do the IB. My English and French teachers have offered to let me do their advanced highers next year; I declined because I want to be able to concentrate on my standard grades/int 2s, but the offer's still open, and I may still change my mind, depending on how fond I decide I am of sleep. :P I have one political party internship lined up for 2013, and I'm considering several summer programs for 2014 (I'm currently leaning towards the Telluride Association one). I'm essentially trying to pack my academic and extracurricular timetable as much as I can with things I'm interested in. If anyone can offer any pointers at all, they're very much appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm going to need all the friendly advice I can get. :smile:

Hi, Don't worry about extra-curriculars/work experience unless you want to do Medicine or possibly Law, they really don't count for anything in Oxford's admission process. They're good to have generally for jobs, but don't do them for the sake of something to put on your personal statement.

You've got plenty of time so it's good that you're thinking about it early. In terms of subjects, it sounds like your interested in politics/debating (?) so PPE, History and Politics, Human Sciences would all be good to look at.
Original post by lukas1051
The reason Oxford look at GCSEs is because they're a good measure of general intelligence. Nobody actually works hard for their GCSEs (except Asian kids with horrible parents), people might put in some time for revision before final exams, but nobody starts planning years in advance, the kids who'll get lots of A*s are just naturally sharp. Keep at whatever you're doing now, don't sweat it, and if you're not getting A*s by the time you're about to sit your final exams then you're probably not good enough. I'm sure you're a perfectly intelligent person, I'm just saying, there's no need to overdo it.

You claim that you have always wanted to go to Oxford, are you sure of this? It's easy to be bedazzled by the big buildings, grand halls, and robes; all of which look like they were taken straight out of Harry Potter (although the opposite is true), but Oxford offers a very different university experience. Just take this into account. And don't be blinded by prestige, Oxford might be the university your grandma has heard of, but that doesn't mean it's the only good one. If you want to go because your parents want you to go that's not a good reason. And for goodness sake don't make it your life, to put it quite bluntly the chances of anyone getting into Oxford are slim, if you get past the initial phase and invited to interview getting in is probably over 90% based on interviews and entry tests, screw one of those up and you probably won't make it. Heck, even if you do well, there may simply be better candidates.

tl;dr take it easy, work hard, but not like a robot because it won't get you into Oxford. And make sure you actually know what going to Oxford would mean for you, and don't set your heart on it.

Original post by srascal8
Get as many A/A* grades at GCSE and pick your favourite subjects at AS/A2 and work your arse off,

Good advice, but make sure the subjects you do at AS/A2 are ones Oxford takes seriously and are relevant to the course you want to do.
See here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html
Original post by srascal8
do some extra curriculars and be well rounded,

As has been said on this forum ad nauseam, the admissions tutors do not care about EC's other than those relevant to your subject, and care precious little even then (except maybe for medicine).

:sheep:
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness

Spoiler

Concisely;
You're GCSEs are good enough to get an interview definitely.
Do mention the extenuating circumstances if you have proof.
Oxford won't care that much about extra-circulars, unless you explain why XXX would make you a better candidate for PPE than someone else.
On the subject of extra circulars, if you suffer from anxiety and depression, may it help to drop a few, take the pressure off, and perhaps focus more on the more important stuff? Only a suggestion >.>

The TSA really shouldn't be too much of a problem, it would help to brush up on some past papers, but the exam itself isn't too bad. Iirc, it is 90 mins for 50 questions, when our school held a mock most of us finished with at least 20mins to spare. The average mark for applicants is normally around 32/50, and whilst the exam is important don't feel as if your whole application hangs on your performance in it. To be honest imo, the exam is a little weak and fails to test some vital areas, whilst the logic and analogy questions are often ruined or overcomplicated by the multiple choice aspect. The main impression I got was that it somewhat resembles an iQ test, but without the time constraint (again, 90mins is more than enough if you are sensible).

For your AS subjects; Oxford will view maths and RS as very strong subjects. They will probably also take that view for your Econ&Business option, if the subject is more Econ than business especially. Oxford will view Psychology as ok for a 4th and may regard ICT as weaker unfortunately. But overall I think you're fine for AS, especially as you have 5 and none of them are General studies or fine art. If you want to know for certain, ask Oxford via their admissions email queries.

For A2, as long as you avoid ICT you should be fine I think. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_1.html
As you can see, they also hint that they want maths to be taken as far as possible.

And whatever you do, don't be put off by anyone saying you can't do it. If you want to go for PPE at oxford then do it, far too many people in your position are worried that they aren't good enough when most of them probably are.
Original post by Llewellyn
Concisely;
You're GCSEs are good enough to get an interview definitely.
Do mention the extenuating circumstances if you have proof.
Oxford won't care that much about extra-circulars, unless you explain why XXX would make you a better candidate for PPE than someone else.
On the subject of extra circulars, if you suffer from anxiety and depression, may it help to drop a few, take the pressure off, and perhaps focus more on the more important stuff? Only a suggestion >.>

The TSA really shouldn't be too much of a problem, it would help to brush up on some past papers, but the exam itself isn't too bad. Iirc, it is 90 mins for 50 questions, when our school held a mock most of us finished with at least 20mins to spare. The average mark for applicants is normally around 32/50, and whilst the exam is important don't feel as if your whole application hangs on your performance in it. To be honest imo, the exam is a little weak and fails to test some vital areas, whilst the logic and analogy questions are often ruined or overcomplicated by the multiple choice aspect. The main impression I got was that it somewhat resembles an iQ test, but without the time constraint (again, 90mins is more than enough if you are sensible).

For your AS subjects; Oxford will view maths and RS as very strong subjects. They will probably also take that view for your Econ&Business option, if the subject is more Econ than business especially. Oxford will view Psychology as ok for a 4th and may regard ICT as weaker unfortunately. But overall I think you're fine for AS, especially as you have 5 and none of them are General studies or fine art. If you want to know for certain, ask Oxford via their admissions email queries.

For A2, as long as you avoid ICT you should be fine I think. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_1.html
As you can see, they also hint that they want maths to be taken as far as possible.

And whatever you do, don't be put off by anyone saying you can't do it. If you want to go for PPE at oxford then do it, far too many people in your position are worried that they aren't good enough when most of them probably are.

First and foremost, thank you for your succinct and honest reply. :smile:
I do, however, have a couple of queries. It seems Oxford really do not rely on the emphasis of extra curricular activities, but, the majority of what I listed have already been completed and the only ECs i'm doing now are:

peer mentoring the current year 11s taking, Economics and Business at GCSE, once a week; which, I think is rather insightful as I have a lot of authority and scope during the lessons. I'm given the occasional responsibility to take over a lesson fully, when he is busy; explain concepts to the students in business, complete GCSE targets with them etc etc. Although, he does, of course, overlook and supervise me whilst undertaking such tasks.

student ambassador for the school - the role may sound impressive, but, I rarely have to give up a lot of spare time for it. I naturally volunteer to help out teachers on parents evenings, open days and the like.

official photographer for the school - i'm currently logging the progress of the school musical. It may not be as relevant, but, it's something I enjoy and detracts from the stresses of academia, thus alleviating my anxiety.

volunteering with the inclusion team every other Monday and during some of the holidays. I love doing this, and it's the main time consumer with regards to ECs, which i'd be reluctant to give up. I don't see it as something I do to enhance my UCAS application, rather for my personal interest and gratification. Besides, I get on better with my younger counterparts and mature adults; as opposed to, peers of my age. Not something i'm proud of, but, willing to work on. :redface:

Given the aforementioned, the activities above hardly take up my spare time. If I weren't doing them, i'd probably just waste the time; unfortunately, not doing anything productive.

The main stressors stem from the workload in ICT, and trying to keep up to date with homework. :angry: I've never been a coursework person and, naively, assumed that IT would be a breeze given my keenness in the subject. It was a godsend that I was able to take at least one exam for ICT. Not to worry, I shall be dropping it in year 13 - the cons far outweigh the pros. How would I pursue my passion for IT though, any suggestions? I don't want to abandon it completely as it is a source of pleasure.

The RS A level within my school is not inclusive of the philosophy aspect. I might just try to self study it, but convert the exam board to AQA upon A2 study for convenience purposes.

I'm struggling to keep up with Maths as I know I will be retaking C1 in the summer - I had a severe anxiety-turned-psychotic episode during the exam, which prompted the staff to revoke finishing the paper. I am fully expecting a U. :frown:

I adore Economics and Business and one of my teachers belong to the Edexcel board as a chief examiner for the Economics and Business A level. He wrote the paper I took in January. :biggrin: In that respect, I feel at an advantage to succeeding in the subject.

Psychology, is very much independent study - I have 2 lessons per week, of which, only one is a timetabled lesson. The other is after school on a Friday. :s-smilie:

Should I purchase a couple of books in preparation for the TSA, or will past papers suffice?

Thanks for advice. :biggrin:
You'll be absolutely fine :smile: I took Computing and Politics at A2 and AS level respectively, and have an offer from Oxford.
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness

Spoiler

ECs are absolutely fine if you enjoy doing them and it helps you. Just never feel as if "I've got to do ECs", because that isn't true. I think you probably could link quite a few ECs with "why I want to do PPE" or "why I am a good candidate" also mention how they may have helped you overcome some of your personal/ health problems, and how you have learned from that.

If you enjoy IT related areas, I'd suggest taking a look into programming and computing (not the A levels) in your free time, perhaps learn java, C++, etc. You may also be able to link that into maths to help you understanding of some topics (particularly sequences, etc.) By the way you talk of ICT, I would have half a mind to drop it completely... Although that is your choice.

What you do with RS exam boards is your decision, however unless the exam board is very open about it being less philosophical, you probably won't need to switch. I don't think doing another exam board would make it that much more impressive (especially if the lack of philosophy makes it easier). But if you'd rather sit more philosophical exams then perhaps switching boards is a good option.

You don't have to do A2 maths, but getting a good mark at AS would really help. A level maths is not easy, but you can; put lots of time into past papers and (most importantly) just do it. Don't worry about fully understanding what you're doing, if you can just do the questions on each topic then most of the time that is enough to pass. If there's still a problem, maybe it's worth looking into getting help for maths (from another teacher or someone who can help or a tutor), doing well in maths will really help.

Econ and business sounds perfectly fine, I'd definitely consider that for A2. Psychology also sounds fine if you're coping, if not, maybe get some help similar to maths. (There is nothing weak or bad about asking for help).

For the TSA, just stay sharp, do quite a few past papers (to see if there are any major gaps in your knowledge). Don't bother with any books or guides (especially paid for ones), the TSA is meant to test thinking skills, not the ability to remember or recall facts. From the impression I get, I think you'd probably be quite good at the paper, as the paper is mostly just analysis, logic and problem solving.
OP, note that most English applicants to Oxbridge had taken General Studies :wink:

As long as you fulfil the requirements with respectable subjects, they don't mind if you have extra 'soft' grades tacked on the side.
Original post by fluteflute
You'll be absolutely fine :smile: I took Computing and Politics at A2 and AS level respectively, and have an offer from Oxford.

WHAT COURSE!? :eek: did you're exceptional GCSEs make up for you getting a place
wait, didn't you say you are in year 9?
Original post by translucent
WHAT COURSE!? :eek: did you're exceptional GCSEs make up for you getting a place
Computer Science :tongue: (there's no denying that Further Maths and Physics are more useful, but the OP was talking about doing extra Highers - there's certianly no harm in doing extra subjects that are supposedly 'soft')

Original post by Architecture-er
As long as you fulfil the requirements with respectable subjects, they don't mind if you have extra 'soft' grades tacked on the side.
This.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1275
You're doing Highers in 3rd year?! That's 2 years earlier than most people sit Highers, of course you should mention them! There's still quite a bit of time before you apply yet though :tongue:

Computing is a respected A level in oxford
Original post by fluteflute
Computer Science :tongue: (there's no denying that Further Maths and Physics are more useful, but the OP was talking about doing extra Highers - there's certianly no harm in doing extra subjects that are supposedly 'soft')

This.

I feel honoured to meet a computer science student :colondollar:
just the other day I was looking at entry requirements for the course; maths and further was a must (I'm not doing further maths:cry:) but I do have have physics.
Please tell me you didn't do A level further maths, and they were flexible :redface:
Original post by Llewellyn
ECs are absolutely fine if you enjoy doing them and it helps you. Just never feel as if "I've got to do ECs", because that isn't true. I think you probably could link quite a few ECs with "why I want to do PPE" or "why I am a good candidate" also mention how they may have helped you overcome some of your personal/ health problems, and how you have learned from that.

If you enjoy IT related areas, I'd suggest taking a look into programming and computing (not the A levels) in your free time, perhaps learn java, C++, etc. You may also be able to link that into maths to help you understanding of some topics (particularly sequences, etc.) By the way you talk of ICT, I would have half a mind to drop it completely... Although that is your choice.

What you do with RS exam boards is your decision, however unless the exam board is very open about it being less philosophical, you probably won't need to switch. I don't think doing another exam board would make it that much more impressive (especially if the lack of philosophy makes it easier). But if you'd rather sit more philosophical exams then perhaps switching boards is a good option.

You don't have to do A2 maths, but getting a good mark at AS would really help. A level maths is not easy, but you can; put lots of time into past papers and (most importantly) just do it. Don't worry about fully understanding what you're doing, if you can just do the questions on each topic then most of the time that is enough to pass. If there's still a problem, maybe it's worth looking into getting help for maths (from another teacher or someone who can help or a tutor), doing well in maths will really help.

Econ and business sounds perfectly fine, I'd definitely consider that for A2. Psychology also sounds fine if you're coping, if not, maybe get some help similar to maths. (There is nothing weak or bad about asking for help).

For the TSA, just stay sharp, do quite a few past papers (to see if there are any major gaps in your knowledge). Don't bother with any books or guides (especially paid for ones), the TSA is meant to test thinking skills, not the ability to remember or recall facts. From the impression I get, I think you'd probably be quite good at the paper, as the paper is mostly just analysis, logic and problem solving.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. From the advice i've accumulated aside my personal views, I think sticking with the ECs would be a good idea. Besides, the school restricts what I can and can't do, hence, I can't really go overboard in that respect.

With regards to my A levels, I am definitely going to pursue Economics and Business, Psychology and Maths to A2 level and will drop ICT at the end of this academic year. I'm still deliberating over what I should do with RS - maybe a discussion with my school and community team would help determine a reasonable outcome. I'm also going to take up your advice on asking for help, as I can see myself reverting back to my old ways, which, in effect, hindered me from reaching my potential last year.

And, I think i'll stick to past papers for the TSA. I suppose I was apprehensive of the preparation required because I was comparing it to other admission tests like the BMAT and UKCAT.

EDIT: :K: Why am I getting negged for this? Have I offended someone? :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
I feel honoured to meet a computer science student :colondollar:
just the other day I was looking at entry requirements for the course; maths and further was a must (I'm not doing further maths:cry:) but I do have have physics.
Please tell me you didn't do A level further maths, and they were flexible :redface:
Where did you see that? Maths is required. But Further Maths isn't required...

See also: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#Do_I_need_Further_Maths.3F

we recognise too that some candidates come late to the realisation that Mathematics at a more advanced level is a rich and fascinating way of viewing the world, too late to change subject choices they have already made.

we are more than willing to consider applications from people with a single Maths A level

for those who are not taking Further Mathematics to A2, there are resources to help with the transition from school to university Mathematics.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending