The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for medicine

Hi, I was worried about my gcse grades,I wanted to apply for medicine (maybe Oxford) and I have noticed that everyone who applied got all 9s or majority grade 9s I am worried I am at a disadvantage with these grades. I go to an underperforming school and got the second highest grades in my year group.

I got :
9: Eng lang and RE
8: French history Art Eng lit and all the sciences and history

I still feel my grades are not good enough my chosen alevel subjects are Biology Chemistry and Maths I am also considering doing a natural sciences degree what do you guys think?
Thanks
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Those grades won't stop you from getting into medical school, most medical schools only really care about A levels.

Oxford are one of the only GCSE heavy medical schools and generally want all 8s and 9s. Why Oxford though? It's harder to get into and doesn't put you at any advantage post grad as a doctor.
Apply to medical schools that will accept you based on grades and UCAT score. Don't get hung up on specific universities.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi! I honestly think you’ll do fine as long as you get the A-Level grades needed and work experience:smile:.
Reply 3
Thanks so much, honestly I have been using Oxford as study motivation and it has been one of my goals.
Reply 4
Thanks so much this really reassured me 😭

Original post by futuremedgirl
Hi! I honestly think you’ll do fine as long as you get the A-Level grades needed and work experience:smile:.
Original post by not_hawaii
Thanks so much this really reassured me 😭

No problem!! Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest