The Student Room Group

Can I still study Law at Oxford

So, I just got my GCSE results and they are pretty good. I want to study Law at Oxford so good grades are a MUST!

I got:
Physics 9
biology 9
chemistry 9
Maths 8
English Lit 9
English Lang 7
PE 9
Drama 8
Latin 7
History 6
Further Maths 6

I am studying History, Physics, Maths and English Lit at A-level.
I was 1 mark off a 7 in History. I am worried that Oxford will turn me away with these GCSE grades. I know that Universities look mostly at predicted A-levels but will they not see my GCSE result and think I am unlikely to obtain a good A-level?
Reply 1
SORRY .. Chemistry was an 8!
Reply 2
Nope you can still target Oxford, congratulations on your excellent grades. Enjoy your success and then focus on getting the best A levels you can, that's what will matter!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So, I just got my GCSE results and they are pretty good. I want to study Law at Oxford so good grades are a MUST!

I got:
Physics 9
biology 9
chemistry 9
Maths 8
English Lit 9
English Lang 7
PE 9
Drama 8
Latin 7
History 6
Further Maths 6

I am studying History, Physics, Maths and English Lit at A-level.
I was 1 mark off a 7 in History. I am worried that Oxford will turn me away with these GCSE grades. I know that Universities look mostly at predicted A-levels but will they not see my GCSE result and think I am unlikely to obtain a good A-level?

Oxford don't require specific GCSEs, nor do they mark down if you have a few low grades. Your GCSEs are usually assessed by comparing the amount of 8/9s you got to the average for your school that year. It can help in shortlisting for interviews if you did much better than your school's average, but it's not significant enough to completely determine your application's outcome. As for A levels, you apply with predicted grades from your school. Your GCSE history grade will not affect this. I didn't get a 9 in history and I'm studying it at Oxford now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending