The Student Room Group

Fancy Dress - Questions, advice, cheap solutions, themes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by sksksk1
White rabbit is a boy...

Indeed, but for me bunny ears brings up horrible images of large ladies hitting 'spoons for a hens night!

Original post by Scubar
wear a sleeping bag, get a pipe

BOOM! you're the caterpillar

Haha - not bad...
Cheshire Cat. Slap on some blue or purple stripes, grin like you're on drugs and purr a bit, they'll love it.
Go as the King :colone:
Make a sandwich board and be a playing card.

Wear green and be the caterpiller
Go with a broken car windscreen around your neck and say you thought the theme was "Alice's Adventures through the Windshield Glass"!

Reply 365
Wear something with pink/purple stripes, even if it's just a t shirt, and be the cheshire cat. You could use face paint to paint a big smile on and perhaps get some cat ears/tail.

Get some big floppy ears and wear an old looking suit and be the march hare.

Wear a black and white stripey t shirt, red braces, brown trousers and stripey socks and go as tweedledum/tweedledee, even better if you can get someone else to join in and be the other one with you.

Get a big crown and red cape/dressing gown and be the king of hearts.
Bottle of pills: t-shirt with 'eat me' written on.
Reply 367
Hedgehog? I saw a guy with a good one of these recently- he had made a string of brown cones and attached elastic to one end in a loop and then pulled that over his face so the cones went from the top of his head down his back (like a spinosaurus) and painted his nose black- it looked good.
Get a load of people and go as the playing cards :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
A lot of 90s stuff is back in fashion - double denim, neon, big print t-shirts, printed leggings

Shouldn't be too hard to create something

Here's a challenging one for you, Emily - my college is having a Christmas bop where the theme, as chosen by the male Ents Officer, is...

...wait for it...

(XX)X-mas

:hmpf:

I refuse to go dressed as a slut, which is what the theme is implicitly calling for. At my suggestion, my friend's going as mistletoe ("Kiss-mas" :biggrin:), but I'm not sure what quick and easy costume I could do.

I've got a Santa suit and various colours of face paint (having done the Grinch for a Christmas party a few years ago), but I don't want anything too elaborate since I won't have much time to change into it. It's also very hot inside so it needs to be quite light.

Thanks! :h:
Original post by Tortious
Here's a challenging one for you, Emily - my college is having a Christmas bop where the theme, as chosen by the male Ents Officer, is...

...wait for it...

(XX)X-mas

:hmpf:

I refuse to go dressed as a slut, which is what the theme is implicitly calling for. At my suggestion, my friend's going as mistletoe ("Kiss-mas" :biggrin:), but I'm not sure what quick and easy costume I could do.

I've got a Santa suit and various colours of face paint (having done the Grinch for a Christmas party a few years ago), but I don't want anything too elaborate since I won't have much time to change into it. It's also very hot inside so it needs to be quite light.

Thanks! :h:

Well there is a film called Black XXXmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264430/)

Or you could be a member of the band the XX celebrating Xmas

3 Xs also makes me think of Britain's Got Talent

XX also = two female chromosomes so you can claim whatever you wear if it's Christmas themed is (XX)X-mas :tongue:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Well there is a film called Black XXXmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264430/)

Or you could be a member of the band the XX celebrating Xmas

3 Xs also makes me think of Britain's Got Talent

XX also = two female chromosomes so you can claim whatever you wear if it's Christmas themed is (XX)X-mas :tongue:

PRSOM. I think the chromosomes reference is my favourite. :awesome:

Also, have you heard this? Nice to find a fellow "The xx" fan! :five:
Original post by Tortious
PRSOM. I think the chromosomes reference is my favourite. :awesome:

Also, have you heard this? Nice to find a fellow "The xx" fan! :five:

Everyone knows chromosomes make life cooler :cool:

Ooo interesting!
Cards
Reply 374
This is me as Dorothy from The Wizard of OZ :smile:
Reply 375
any ideas on how i could do fred flintstone?
Original post by t1gger123
any ideas on how i could do fred flintstone?

Well it depends on your budget but very basically, a big orange top, then either draw on or stick on the black shapes. Then just get either a normal blue tie or maybe a blue scarf would be better.

If you have a bit more of a budget try making the orange bit with some cheap orange material and also making the tie part.

If you need shoes I suggest flipflops x
Reply 377
Hey guys, me and a friend are thinking of doing Holmes and Watson for a party - I'm talking about the Downey Jr style Holmes, ie no deerstalkers! An ideas for clothes and where to get em cheap?
Original post by suggsina
Hey guys, me and a friend are thinking of doing Holmes and Watson for a party - I'm talking about the Downey Jr style Holmes, ie no deerstalkers! An ideas for clothes and where to get em cheap?

How about this?

Holmes and Watson

The advantage of something like that is that it's less "heavy" than a three piece suit for Watson.

For Holmes, I'd say that a waistcoat and (neck)tie with a shirt would be OK as a starting point. Bowler hat optional, of course. :wink:

I'd have a look in charity shops and see what you can find - chances are there'll be something that looks relatively well-worn, just like Holmes wears. :p:
Just found out the theme for a social I'm going to tomorrow night is 'pub golf'. I've managed to get someone to lend me a golf visor but I have no idea what to wear otherwise, so need suggestions for top/bottoms. I have jeans or either a plain grey or red tartan skirt I could wear, but the only vaguely golf-y top I've got is a black/grey tartan shirt with black sleeveless vest combo (looks like two tops but is actually one).

Ideally I don't want to spend any money (although I'm going to check charity shops in the morning for a polo shirt or something) but if I can't find anything do you think the clothes I've already got would work?

Help!!

Quick Reply

Latest