The Student Room Group

My year 11 journey

It's a couple weeks in to school and I'm going to document my journey here.
I am going to aim for 7+ in all my gcses except english lit/lang
My predicted grades
English lit /language - 6
Spanish - 7
Geography - 8
Biology - 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Religious studies - 7
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best wishes for your GCSEs

Original post by _jupiter_
My predicted grades
Spanish - 7
Geography - 8
Biology - 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Religious studies - 7
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by QueenOla
Best wishes for your GCSEs

Thank you
Reply 3
I have exam week from 25th September and I haven't started revising yet so I'm going to start from today onwards.
My revision plan is to make flashcards or mind maps and review them. Then I also use blurting and past paper questions to maintain the information.

Does anyone have any tips for revising for english literature as I struggle in the subject
Reply 5
Hey this is how I'm revising for my tests next week ( I will change my revsion timetable after I have my exams )
As usual I have left it to the last minute but we only got a week's notice

Physics - mindmaps then blurting
Biology/chemistry /geography/re/Spanish - flashcards
Maths - questions on mathswatch
English - creating PowerPoints and then using them to revise ( I have no clue how to revise for english )

I will do past paper questions after I have learnt everything
Reply 6
I'm going to wing most of my exams I know it isn't ideal but I'll do my best and for mocks I'll do more revsion
Reply 7
I've been busy with tests. I got all but 2 back and I think I have done well in the sense I haven't revised as much as I would've liked

Biology - 7
Chemistry - 8
Maths - 7 ( highest grade was 8 and you needed 100% )
English lit - 7 really proud of this one as I struggle in this subject
Geography- 9
Re - 8 ( grade boundaries really high)

I'm going to start revising daily and I have also started taking further maths
Reply 8
good job
Reply 9
Original post by Moonma
good job

Thank you
Reply 10
I got my Spanish(6) and physics(8) tests back . Overall I think I have done well but I have room for improvement
I have started revising daily and I've focusing on paper 1s and things that we will be tested on in November mocks
My predicted grades
Spanish - 7
Geography - 8
Biology - 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Religious studies - 7

how did you get 7’s in Spanish >~<
Reply 12
Some advice for spanish would be
Learn you vocabulary it comes up in everything
Use duolingo to get used to the listening aspects and it can also help with knowing the basics of the language
I would recommend also learning ur grammar pretty well ( websites like languages.org.uk can help)
Hey this is how I'm revising for my tests next week ( I will change my revsion timetable after I have my exams )
As usual I have left it to the last minute but we only got a week's notice

Physics - mindmaps then blurting
Biology/chemistry /geography/re/Spanish - flashcards
Maths - questions on mathswatch
English - creating PowerPoints and then using them to revise ( I have no clue how to revise for english )

I will do past paper questions after I have learnt everything

You're doing a great job.

Not sure if you're sorted for English revision tips now, but I found that doing practice answers was useful. For example, if you know that past papers have asked you 'how does the author present the character of...' then you can repeat that for all character of the book(s) you're studying.

If you're pushed for time, instead of writing out a full answer, just document a plan for it i.e. main structure and key quotes you'd include. If you struggle with the structure, you know that's where you need to focus. If you struggle with remembering quotes, then that's where you can spend most of your time instead. When it comes to quotes from texts, my advice would be to pick quotes that can be used in multiple contexts e.g. that describe the scene and/or the character or which infer things about more than one character in the book.

That might all be stuff you already know/do - but I can appreciate how hard it is to revise for English so it was a massive trial and error game for me at GCSE. In hindsight, I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to approach it!

Can't wait to see you get 7+s in your subjects :smile: keep going!
Reply 14
Original post by brainzistheword

You're doing a great job.

Not sure if you're sorted for English revision tips now, but I found that doing practice answers was useful. For example, if you know that past papers have asked you 'how does the author present the character of...' then you can repeat that for all character of the book(s) you're studying.

If you're pushed for time, instead of writing out a full answer, just document a plan for it i.e. main structure and key quotes you'd include. If you struggle with the structure, you know that's where you need to focus. If you struggle with remembering quotes, then that's where you can spend most of your time instead. When it comes to quotes from texts, my advice would be to pick quotes that can be used in multiple contexts e.g. that describe the scene and/or the character or which infer things about more than one character in the book.

That might all be stuff you already know/do - but I can appreciate how hard it is to revise for English so it was a massive trial and error game for me at GCSE. In hindsight, I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to approach it!

Can't wait to see you get 7+s in your subjects :smile: keep going!

Thank you. I will do past papers when I get closer to the actual exams but currently I focusing on memorising quotes. I'm making flashcards to do this and I'll have the quote on one side and an analysis on the other. I'm using Pinterest youtube and tiktok to find good analysis but unfortunately for me I am doing othello and there's not much on the Internet. For some reason my school is only doing English language for our mocks so I'm lucky that I don't have to focus on lit. Thank you for your advice
Thank you. I will do past papers when I get closer to the actual exams but currently I focusing on memorising quotes. I'm making flashcards to do this and I'll have the quote on one side and an analysis on the other. I'm using Pinterest youtube and tiktok to find good analysis but unfortunately for me I am doing othello and there's not much on the Internet. For some reason my school is only doing English language for our mocks so I'm lucky that I don't have to focus on lit. Thank you for your advice

You're very welcome. It sounds like you've got a good plan in place already - so that's brilliant. If you haven't already used it, SparkNotes usually have good breakdowns of different texts and it looks like they have one for Othello: https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/othello/

That's good that you only have one out of the two English exam mocks - that takes the pressure off a bit! Do you feel like you have a solid revision plan for the Language paper?
Reply 16
Original post by brainzistheword

You're very welcome. It sounds like you've got a good plan in place already - so that's brilliant. If you haven't already used it, SparkNotes usually have good breakdowns of different texts and it looks like they have one for Othello: https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/othello/

That's good that you only have one out of the two English exam mocks - that takes the pressure off a bit! Do you feel like you have a solid revision plan for the Language paper?

I haven't started yet but I'm going to do past papers for english language to get used to how to answer them and mark them myself to see how specific the mark scheme is . I don't know if there is anything else I can do to revise for english language
Reply 17
I have mocks in 3 weeks (start on 27th)
So I have been revsisng as much as I can.
I aiming for 7s or above.
Reply 18
Mocks are nearby. Doing past papers to see how much I know and what I need to revise.
Reply 19
I've made flashcards for most subjects. I'm going to do my best but I know if I don't get the grades I want I have time to inprove

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending