The Student Room Group

18th birthday party no alcohol

hey guys,

I'm turning 18 in a couple weeks. i've never really celebrated my birthday with my friends properly because of my social anxiety. because it's my 18th i want to do something special. im thinking about inviting 15 people over for a little house party. However, i don't want there to be any drinking purely because of family preference so was wondering what people could suggest us do? it would be like 5-10pm so is there any activities you would do as well as dress code? never really hosted a party before and i love my friends so i really want to make this special
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey guys,

I'm turning 18 in a couple weeks. i've never really celebrated my birthday with my friends properly because of my social anxiety. because it's my 18th i want to do something special. im thinking about inviting 15 people over for a little house party. However, i don't want there to be any drinking purely because of family preference so was wondering what people could suggest us do? it would be like 5-10pm so is there any activities you would do as well as dress code? never really hosted a party before and i love my friends so i really want to make this special

Hi I've just recently had my 18th birthday, similar to how you're planning and we just used fizzy drinks instead of alcohol.We mainly danced, played card games like uno and did karaoke.My dress code was just like smart casual.And it went well!
Hope ur 18th goes well and happy advanced birthday!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi I've just recently had my 18th birthday, similar to how you're planning and we just used fizzy drinks instead of alcohol.We mainly danced, played card games like uno and did karaoke.My dress code was just like smart casual.And it went well!
Hope ur 18th goes well and happy advanced birthday!

thank youuuu and belated happy birthday to youu, glad you had a good time! I’m just such a worrier when it comes to these things especially hosting! appreciate the reassurance so much 🙂
hey guys,

I absolutely love party planning! Is it purely an indoor party? Do you want a theme? If so what? Are you/your family paying for the whole thing? What's your budget?
Reply 4
Original post by flamingolover
I absolutely love party planning! Is it purely an indoor party? Do you want a theme? If so what? Are you/your family paying for the whole thing? What's your budget?

think it would be too cold for it to be outdoors so purely indoors. i dont mind about having a theme but i don tknow enough about parties haha. my family would be paying for the whole thing and we dodnt really have a budget. nothing too expensive but theyll do anything to make me happy.even a movie night would be cute but i would love a theme
My thoughts are, if you aren't drinking, probably a sensible approach would be to start off with some games (board or video, depending on the crowd) or other activity (karaoke, twister, whatever) with some appetizers, move into a meal plus conversation, then shift to a film and cake or something.

This will give people things to do while avoiding them getting bored potentially (you can do any one of these things for 5 hours but only a small subset of people would want to do any one of these things for that long; most would be happy doing each of them for a given period of time). You can obviously theme these together as well vaguely and/or add a fancy dress element or something if you wish (although how well that will be received really depends on the group).

You'll have to figure out a film that is sufficiently engaging and enjoyable for everyone though. I'd avoid art house, anything significantly over 2 hours, and anything that's kind of a downer (Oscar bait films, basically - also probably want to steer clear of horror or thrillers as not everyone likes those). Pick something light and funny with a reasonable runtime between 90-120 minutes I would think. Unless said group is comprised entirely of your school/unis film society. In which case your film probably will be all three of art house, over 2 hours, and kind of a downer, while being quite popular :tongue:
think it would be too cold for it to be outdoors so purely indoors. i dont mind about having a theme but i don tknow enough about parties haha. my family would be paying for the whole thing and we dodnt really have a budget. nothing too expensive but theyll do anything to make me happy.even a movie night would be cute but i would love a theme

Maybe a fun theme would be things that are 18 years old. So watch movies from the year you were born, plays games from that year, wear the fashion from that year! Also you can find plenty of Mocktails recipies online!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending