The Student Room Group

What DON'T I need a TV licence for?

Can I watch iPlayer? ITV? Legally without a TV licence?

edit - I don't have a TV, I have my laptop.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.

Unless you have internal batteries to power up your TV. Meaning your TV and aerial is not plugged into the mains.

You can watch iPlayer, as long as you aren't watching live TV.

Loads of student don't bother with getting a TV license though.
Reply 2
you cant watch live tv on a tv, you cant watch live tv online. everything else is fine
Reply 3
What TVL would like you to think

IF YOU DON'T PAY UP, THE ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WILL VISIT YOUR PROPERTY.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Reality

You only need one if you watch live broadcasts and you have no legal obligation to inform them of your TV watching habits or lack thereof. A bloke in a clipboard may turn up but if you're not watching TV then you don't have to let him in and either way have nothing to worry about.
ive never paid it in 5 years and never been caught yet. even if they do catch me now it'd probably still have been worth it.
Reply 5
You don't need a TV license for a sewing machine...yet.
Reply 6
Original post by ConfusedOutcast
Can I watch iPlayer? ITV? Legally without a TV licence?

edit - I don't have a TV, I have my laptop.

Yes, as long as it's recorded television and not live television its ok.
You only need one if you're watching live via a tv, or live online.

We had a tv licensing man come round the other day saying they had no record of us having a license and they suspect we have a tv and we've been watching it unlicensed. We don't. We didn't let him in because there was only two of us in and he couldn't really get into the other 6 people's rooms anyway so it would have been a waste of time. He then told us he thought we were being suspicious. I then submitted a form online to say we don't need a license because we have no tv to make sure he doesn't come back. He'll probably turn up next week though. :rolleyes:

My mum rang me earlier saying she didn't want me to bring my tv up with me (I only want it for the playstation) because they might come in and see my tv and try to take me to court over it. ....Do I actually have anything to worry about or is my mum being a bit silly?
You don't need a TV license if you watch iPlayer/Channel 5/ITV/4oD on demand (catch up) but if you watch it live then you need a TV license.
Original post by siani-chan

We had a tv licensing man come round the other day saying they had no record of us having a license and they suspect we have a tv and we've been watching it unlicensed. We don't. We didn't let him in because there was only two of us in and he couldn't really get into the other 6 people's rooms anyway so it would have been a waste of time. He then told us he thought we were being suspicious. I then submitted a form online to say we don't need a license because we have no tv to make sure he doesn't come back. He'll probably turn up next week though. :rolleyes:

My mum rang me earlier saying she didn't want me to bring my tv up with me (I only want it for the playstation) because they might come in and see my tv and try to take me to court over it. ....Do I actually have anything to worry about or is my mum being a bit silly?

Do you live with your mum? Wouldn't she be paying for it for the whole house or per TV appliance? :confused: Tbh I'm a bit confused as well.

Also seeing as you are using the playstation to play games, it shouldn't really be an issue I think, but maybe she said that because you can watch Play TV (which is live TV like Freeview) and so maybe the man would come back and complain about that.
Reply 10
Original post by Cicerao
What TVL would like you to think

IF YOU DON'T PAY UP, THE ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WILL VISIT YOUR PROPERTY.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Reality

You only need one if you watch live broadcasts and you have no legal obligation to inform them of your TV watching habits or lack thereof. A bloke in a clipboard may turn up but if you're not watching TV then you don't have to let him in and either way have nothing to worry about.

That's the old enforcement officers.
Check the new ones out.
Reply 11
You can watch anything that isn't live TV. And apparently (if you're a student living temporarily away from home) you can watch a battery powered TV, the TV licence for which is your parent's licence.
You DONT need a license just to OWN a tv or something that can potentially can watch tv thats why you dont need a license to own a laptop or pc even though you could easily watch tv on them.

The license is just to watch stuff live, so you can legally watch iplayer unless its as its being broadcast i.e you could watch Dr Who on Iplayer legally unless its broadcast at the same time as its first shown on tv, or you coudlnt watch say a football match live, but you can watch it later legally.

They will however try and catch you out as the officers work on commision, they still get money if they decide you dont need one but its not as much.

So you can use as a tv as often as you want legally as long as you arent watching tv via an aerial or sky/cable etc.

Iplayer is just as legal as renting or owning a dvd and watching it.
As others have touched upon, you only need a TV licence if you watch live television coverage (either through a TV or live streaming online) from a UK-based TV station.

If you watch pre-recorded TV (iPlayer, 4oD, etc) then you don't need a TV licence, nor do you need one if you stream live TV coverage from overseas (such as via a Slingbox).

This site is well worth a look with regards TV licencing.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Do you live with your mum? Wouldn't she be paying for it for the whole house or per TV appliance? :confused: Tbh I'm a bit confused as well.

Also seeing as you are using the playstation to play games, it shouldn't really be an issue I think, but maybe she said that because you can watch Play TV (which is live TV like Freeview) and so maybe the man would come back and complain about that.

Sorry, to clarify: I'm at uni, and I want to bring my tv up so I can use my playstation. I live with housemates and no one uses a tv (although one has a tv for use with an xbox) so we don't need a licence.

My mum is basically worried about the tv licence people coming back with a warrant (which I highly doubt would happen :rolleyes:) and fining me/taking me to court because I have a tv, despite the fact that I wouldn't actually watch it - and that I wouldn't be able to prove that I don't. I don't know whether she's right or whether she's just being silly. :redface:
Weirdly, you can watch live TV on a laptop without your own TV license (covered by your parents' license I believe) as long as it is powered by an internal battery i.e. not plugged into the mains.
Reply 16

You can use a TV with impunity to play video games. Just being able to receive TV broadcasts is not an offence, receiving them is. In the same way as being in possession of a penis doesn't make you a rapist!
Original post by denislaw
You can use a TV with impunity to play video games. Just being able to receive TV broadcasts is not an offence, receiving them is. In the same way as being in possession of a penis doesn't make you a rapist!

Nice analogy... :cool:

Right. So my mum is being a little bit paranoid then. :p:

Its a common misconception, I had a massive argument with a housemate I had 2 years ago who had a massive argument with me as my tv was in living room and next to window and viewable from the road(since it was a small terraced street) and she went to far as to print off the page from the website and sellotape it to my screen and highlight the part that said that watching programmes without a license is an offense and wouldnt accept that was worded in such a way that I didnt need one!(used to use tv for pc or dvds)

I never spoke to her and just avoided her as moved out 2 weeks later anyway I even rang up TVL once to say I owned a tv but didnt get a signal so used it for dvds and games and they confirmed it was ok over the phone but did they they would send someone round to check.(which in 3 years was about 3 times) and I remember my housemate freaking out as he had a tv in kitchen when they visitied one time and so he cut off the plug but they never sent any court requests.

In fact they have to catch you physically watching tv and you admitting it to get anywhere and then its only likely they give you I think 28 days to buy a license, then if it does go to court they have to prove you were using it, and even if on the very very very unlikely case they win the fine is UP TO a certain amount(think max is 2 grand) but that could mean you only get fined £100 it doesnt mean you will be fined £2000 but again they give you worse case scenario to scare you.
Reply 19

Why not just get a TV licence for the house, or will you really never want to watch anything? Cos if there are 6 of you that's only £24 a year each which works out at less than 50p a week each.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending