The Student Room Group

Norwegian TERRORIST "shouldn't be tried"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
So if a Muslim terrorist could say that they were having mental issues then they'd have the same treatment? I highly doubt it

He repeated denied having a mental illness.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Muslims, and I rather suspect that "he shouldn't be tried" is the furthest away the headline writer could get from the truth without making it up. Everyone knows he is guilty, if he is mentally ill then there is no reason for him to be tried instead of being committed when the only possible result from the trial will be to commit him.
Reply 21
Of course he denied mental illness! How would he know, he would have never thought any differently.
He was diagnosed with paraniod schitzophrenia. And personally i'm glad he isn't being tried. My mum has the exact same illness, luckily she is now medicated but unfortunatly before she used to have 'rants' in public very loudly and write it all down about all sorts, witches, racism, religion, nazis, jews etc the list goes on on. She had no control over herself the voices in her head controlled her. she would leave terrifying messages on my phone and family members phones. She had 'imaginary friends who she was convinced existed. I honestly think that if she was left un-medicated any longer she would have done something worse then when she killed our cat like maybe killing 72 people. Nobody she ever met, non of her previous doctors, no family members brought it up they just brushed it to the side.I think there needs to be MUCH more education on mental illness. These people have no control, they are vulnerable, they hut themselves off from society and are trapped in their head. PLEASE don't judge before understanding the conditions and realise people around you have had to go through it.
(edited 12 years ago)
The guy is mental, pure and simple. As in the psychiatry doctors have said that he should never be allowed to leave containment ever in other words, worse than a life imprisonment. As such the guy is bat**** insane, no two ways about it.
Original post by ak137
Any judicial system that lets a terrorist scot free without punishment doesnt deserve to be called a judicial system.

Well for a start, he will be punished (if you don't see this as punishment, I take it you would be happy to be committed to a mental home?). But ignoring that, what logic dictates he should be specifically punished? How does it benefit society in the slightest?

The judicial system isn't designed to give out arbitrary punishment - what you want is a judicial system which operates on the basis of revenge. While that is a more than valid opinion, it is by no means the conclusive definition of a "judicial system".
Reply 24
What is the point of this animal being alive?

He will never be rehabilitated.
Should just hang him and be done with it.

Everyone who negged me is a pussy.
He killed 70-75 people and people want him alive.
Pathetic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by TM94
What is the point of this animal being alive?

He will never be rehabilitated.
Should just hang him and be done with it.

Harsh
Reply 26
Most of the terrorists from Al-Qaeda and co, that I've read about, seem to have similar delusions to be honest; they all live in their own world where God wants them to execute others.

Still, if he is mentally ill, he should go to the psychiatric hospital instead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by ak137
Any judicial system that lets a terrorist scot free without punishment doesnt deserve to be called a judicial system.

Perhaps you don;t understand the system.

Someone proved to be suffering from a mental illness to the extent that they could not rationally comprehend their actions and their consequences then they are deemed unfit for trial, and not responsible for their actions.
Reply 28
Original post by missxrojas
Harsh

How? How on earth is that harsh?

He killed what was it 70 people.

Does not deserve anything less than a death sentence.
Reply 29
Original post by B-Man.
Most of the terrorists from Al-Qaeda and co, that I've read about, seem to have similar delusions to be honest; they all live in their own world where God wants them to execute others.

Still, if he is mentally ill, he should go to the psychiatric hospital instead.

I doubt he is mentally ill. If Bin Laden was proved to be mentally ill what do you think the US would've done to him?

Killed him or put him in a psychiatric hospital?
Reply 30
Original post by Elipsis
It is obvious to me that they did this for a few reasons:
1) Now he doesn't have a trial in the full media glare, where he can air his opinions.
2) If he had been prosecuted under normal law, the maximum sentence in Norway is 25-30 years, which clearly would have been unacceptable.
3) He wouldn't be safe, nor would those around him, in a normal prison.

It is nothing to do with him getting special treatment as a white non-Muslim or anything stupid. He might even have a mental health problem for all we know...

1) This could be one of the reasons.

2) This comes from a misunderstanding of the Norwegian legal system (not helped by the Daily Mail either). They can only give a 21 year sentence in one go, but if convicted, Breivik's sentence could be extended for up to five years at a time if he's deemed a continuing threat, after that[.]

3) That is the case for many inmates to be honest, so I don't believe that this is a plausible reason for opting to send a sane man to a psychiatric hospital instead of prison.
Reply 31
I doubt he will get let out. He will probably suffer more abuse in a psychiatric ward than anyone would in prison though. I'm not saying this like it's a good/bad thing, I'm just saying
Reply 32
Original post by abc:)
I doubt he will get let out. He will probably suffer more abuse in a psychiatric ward than anyone would in prison though. I'm not saying this like it's a good/bad thing, I'm just saying

:curious: Why?
Reply 33
Original post by B-Man.
1) This could be one of the reasons.

2) This comes from a misunderstanding of the Norwegian legal system (not helped by the Daily Mail either). They can only give a 21 year sentence in one go, but if convicted, Breivik's sentence could be extended for up to five years at a time if he's deemed a continuing threat, after that[.]

3) That is the case for many inmates to be honest, so I don't believe that this is a plausible reason for opting to send a sane man to a psychiatric hospital instead of prison.

1) I'm glad you agree.

2) I was already aware of this. But why let this issue ever rear it's head ever again? Giving him yet another opportunity to get on the soap box. He should never ever get out of prison, and it is a glaring problem with the Norweigen legal system that he cannot be locked up in solitary until his last breath without re-sentencing.

3) I do not know what the situation with prisons in Norway is with regard to solitary confinement, but I doubt that such a liberal country would put him in solitary for the rest of his life. We are talking about the most hated man in Norway here, not just your run of the mill pedo or murderer.
Reply 34
Original post by ak137
Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik shouldnt be punished - Official report.
Article in spoiler

Cant help but think that if he was a muslim and had a name of Muhammad Bin Hanif Bin Ghafaar or something, he would've been on the next plane to Guantanamo Bay, without a trial & tortured for treason!

Actually all that the report said is that he is insane and when convicted should spend the rest of his life in a psychiatric institution.

"What will happen in the case, no matter what the conclusion, is that he [Breivik] will of course be incarcerated," John Christian Elden said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15936276
Reply 35
If this is true, then I agree.
Reply 36
Original post by hamijack
Actually all that the report said is that he is insane and when convicted should spend the rest of his life in a psychiatric institution.

"What will happen in the case, no matter what the conclusion, is that he [Breivik] will of course be incarcerated," John Christian Elden said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15936276

He should spend his time in Gitmo Bay.
Oh sorry, is that reserved for muslims only?
Original post by lightburns
From what I have seen, Norwegian criminal systems are not based on punishment. They are based on rehabilitation.

This, to me, seems like the best and most sensible route for Breivik. If he is so severely mentally ill that he can't be rehabilitated, he'll be kept inside somewhere for the rest of his life, and what good would it do to anyone to punish a man who is never going to be free to murder again? If he can be rehabilitated, then he can be rehabilitated, and all well and good - with his severity of crime and craziness (I read a good portion of his manifesto), I doubt he'd be able to get over it though.

This. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Reply 38
Original post by PendulumBoB
Wait what?

"He can be released if he is later deemed to be "cured and well"."

That's the difference between psychiatric hospitals and prisons...
Reply 39
I read his manifesto, he seemed deluded but he certainly didn't seem insane. on the other hand this would make sure he couldn't spread propaganda or rally support from the inside like he intended, which I suppose is not a bad idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending