The Student Room Group

Love and Relationships Poems

Do you think it’s necessary to learn all 15 poems?
If not, which ones should I learn? And what are the common themes?
Reply 1
I would say memorise the basic themes shown in each poems, as well as going over the main points of each poem - what the poet is trying to show in the beginning, the middle, and the end. Then just memorise a quote from beginning/middle/end of each poem from which you can create an analysis. From the analysis, zoom into the key language features used. This shouldn't be that hard. The reason why you should do it for all of them is that you aren't sure of which one is going to appear in the mock. Also, knowing a poem too too well can actually sometimes result in doing worse e.g. in poetry comparison as you will be endlessly writing about how much you know of the poem, but you will run out of time and the ability to compare it to another poem like I did in my exam a few weeks ago. A brief knowledge of context of each poem shouldn't be too hard as well as knowing your language features and evidence.Also, has your poetry range not been reduced from 15? .Another thing, I would recommend watching Mr Salles on youtube if you need any help on analysis of the poems.Overall, I think if you briefly know your language features, a brief context of each poem, and also a few quotes from the beginning/middle and end of each poem, you should be good to go.good luck
thank you so much! and no I still have 15 poem :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending