The Student Room Group

When did you come to a final decision about what you wanted to study at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reina
I doesn't really...it just felt like a fitting thing to do...?

Mostly the latter, which is why I can't decide. If I knew I really wanted to do medicine, then that would just be my plan.

Then I'd cross it off your options tbh. In the past I went through years gearing towards studying medicine because it just fit. I was a bright student (more importantly good at sciences rather than other subjects), a nice guy (if I do say so myself :wink:) - it's a safe career that any parent would want for their child so it just seemed 'right' and 'easy'. But those were all the wrong reasons really, and while I did sort of want to do it, and find some aspects of medicine interesting I know now it wouldn't be right for me. Which of your AS subjects is your favourite? Do you enjoy writing, ever considered law or english, for example?
Tbh it can change... e.g. last year, I thought I'd apply for Chemistry as a fifth choice cos I enjoyed it... this year, for some reason, I despise Chem and much prefer Bio. So I would say have an idea by the end of AS but wait til you've done some A2 work before you definitively choose.
Reply 22
Original post by hassi94
Then I'd cross it off your options tbh. In the past I went through years gearing towards studying medicine because it just fit. I was a bright student (more importantly good at sciences rather than other subjects), a nice guy (if I do say so myself :wink:) - it's a safe career that any parent would want for their child so it just seemed 'right' and 'easy'. But those were all the wrong reasons really, and while I did sort of want to do it, and find some aspects of medicine interesting I know now it wouldn't be right for me. Which of your AS subjects is your favourite? Do you enjoy writing, ever considered law or english, for example?

I like biology, mostly because I just find it enjoyable, but also partly because that's the only subject that I don't seem to get piles of homework for, not going to lie XD

I have considered law, but mostly because I recently watched a very good drama concerning law and crime...which probably isn't the best way to make a decision...
Reply 23
Original post by Reina
Maths, Chemistry, Biology, English Lit.

Those are good subjects which open up a lot of degree course so you could easily wait another year before deciding what to do at uni. Try to find a list of subjects at uni which you may consider and see what subjects you need to do at a level.
Reply 24
Oh I started wanting to do medicine, then history, then english, then business, then medicine again.
Then the summer term before I started sixth form I discovered philosophy! Since then I've been pretty set on philosophy, but I did think about doing business again too as I think I'll end up working in business in the future. But I figured I rather do a philosophy degree and a couple of business modules rather than the other way around.
Go on lots of university websites and see if there are any degrees that take your fancy. Do a bit of research into anything and everything! Also, try taking the stamford test. (Google it)
Reply 25
When I came out of the womb I had an instant epiphany. PPE it is!
"The only thing i'm really good at is maths, so may as well go for that"
Reply 27
Took me to around the end of AS year to decide I wanted to apply for politics. Before then I was torn between that and law.
I decided the week after I received my A2 results; after that I still had doubts for a bit. Through my GCSEs I convinced myself I wanted to do physics at uni (a subject I'm still fascinated by, I was just too lazy to do the background work at AS), and then I decided I wanted to do philosophy, English, drama... I'm now doing a degree in Theatre, which I'm loving, but, like I said, I only decided that in the summer after I received my A2 results.

Best to start by thinking of a career path you might want to take, or a subject you'd like to research further. If you're not sure, you don't have to go, and you can always take a year or two out before deciding!
Reply 29
During the middle of year 12
Nearing the end of AS levels.
Reply 31
In year 10 or so. Did actually apply for it. Then I changed before results day. Life turned out differently to how I imagined. Would have been happy to study the original choice too though and it's the same kind of field, new one was just a better fit.
According to my personal statment, I've wanted to study Law since the age of 5.

In truth, it was at the end of my AS year that I finally decided.
Reply 33
To be specific.. I haven't. I've still got a year, well two really, to decide. I know it's definitely the Biological Sciences I want to study, but I don't know whether I want to do a Biology degree or something far more specific like Neuroscience or Genetics.

I've wanted to study in the area since I started Year 12 in '09, but it was too late by then because I'd already chosen completely different AS subjects (ICT, Philosophy + Ethics and History) and hated all of them except for History, I ended up dropping ICT and flunking the other two in the end anyway, not because of ability but because of apathy and mental health difficulties I was experiencing at the time and got kicked out of my school after AS results day. I then did get a place to study AS level Human Biology (they didn't offer Biology), Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology at college but I was hospitalised during the enrolment day and couldn't do anything about it, so I lost my place due to the fact my mum didn't bother to inform them and the admissions guy basically just dumped me at the Connexions office in the library so I ended up taking some Level 2 BTEC in Science at another college to fill my time. Now I'm planning to do an Access to Science course to achieve my goal since I'm now 19.. hopefully this won't go belly up!
I had a vague idea by the end of Year 11, but fully decided after I did work experience.

I took the subjects I was good at for A-Level. Thankfully, I like the subjects I'm good at :p: As I got good grades, I looked at what was open to me. Medicine looked interesting, but with medicine I don't think you can fully decide that's what you want to do until you have work experience.
I arranged some out of curiosity, and loved it. I was waking up at 4.30am and getting home at 7pm (had to catch a multitude of trains), but I absolutely loved every minute of it. That was when I knew for definite what I'd be applying for.
Now, I have my first interview this Thursday, and can't see myself wanting to do anything else. /cheese
In the summer... before I started university :o: (changed course successfully)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending