The Student Room Group

How do I know I am picking the right course?

My interests fluctuate, being a dude with ADHD and the 'tism, I can never tell if somethings just a phase where ill be obsessed for a few months then move on to something else.

Working full time, a part time open uni course is my only real option so by the time its done, ill be 31...Its a lot of time to invest, and right now i am eager and excited, and like a new tattoo i feel confident I'll want it for the long run.
But then, being a lengthy course and a LOT of time to invest, i need to be sure its the right choice
Original post by CBacchus79
My interests fluctuate, being a dude with ADHD and the 'tism, I can never tell if somethings just a phase where ill be obsessed for a few months then move on to something else.
Working full time, a part time open uni course is my only real option so by the time its done, ill be 31...Its a lot of time to invest, and right now i am eager and excited, and like a new tattoo i feel confident I'll want it for the long run.
But then, being a lengthy course and a LOT of time to invest, i need to be sure its the right choice
Hey @CBacchus79

It is a big decision and commitment to choosing to study on an OU course. I'd suggest asking yourself what your aim and end goal is to studying - eg what is the point? Is it for enjoyment or career ? This might make you think about you reasons and motive and see how much you've considered it.
I'd also suggest speaking to people you know and who know you and that you trust to ask their opinion if it is something they see you doing and think you'd be good at. Ultimately it is your decision to study but it is always good to have a good support system and people close that will be there when times may get stressful or tough.
One final advice is to have a look at your diary at the moment and consider how much time you realistically have to give to a OU course. It is a commitment that takes time, money, effort and energy and if one thing breaks down it can impact on all aspects. It is good to go in with a clear head and eyes open so checking you have the time Can help to reduce some stress and worry when you get to deadlines looming and classes you need to attend.
Best wishes for your decision - Catherine (Univeristy of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Original post by CBacchus79
Hey!

You’re absolutely right it is a big decision and of course you want to make the right choice. Especially when you’re a bit older. I personally found this made my decision much harder too. I’m in my final year and will be 33 by the time I graduate. So, first thing I’d say is don’t let age be a deterrent. I wasted soo much time worrying about the age I’d be by the time I’d graduated. If I hadn’t wasted that time, I’d be almost 2 years qualified now!

I don’t have ADHD, so I can’t give personal experience of this but I can understand that it would make you a bit more apprehensive about your choice. I do however suffer with anxiety and this made my decision very difficult, worrying about all the what ifs. In the end I just took the plunge and went for it and I figured that no matter what happened it would work out. Even if the course was the wrong one, I’d have made a change I felt was right and I’d have no regrets.

I am a healthcare student and before picking my chosen course all I knew is that I wanted to work in healthcare but didn’t know the right path for me. I found that doing a lot of deep research into roles and almost trying to imagine myself in the role, including the bad stuff really helped me make my decision.

If you’re worried that you’ll lose interest, take your time thinking about the decision. Speak to your friends and family about the course and the role. Attend some open days. Completely immerse yourself into. If you’re still thinking about it and excited in a few months or weeks then it’s probably time to go for it!

Also, be secure in your decision. Don’t doubt yourself. It sounds like you’re passionate about doing this and having ADHD doesn’t mean you can’t be fully committed to the course and come out the other end. Universities also offer lots of support for ADHD.

I say go for it! If this is what you really want then you will not regret it. Yes it will be tough but will be absolutely worth it.

Good luck! I hope this has helped :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending