The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is Henley business school good?

I’m in year 13 and heavily contemplating to go to uni of reading to study international business w a placement year at Henley business school, I’ve done the reading scholars programme which gave me two grades boundary below and a contextual offer and would like to know if it’s a uni employers go for, I’m not too fussed on on diversity and student life but just more on the course, prestige and if it’s better then business school like Leeds, Bristol and nottingham
Original post by Champagnebj
I’m in year 13 and heavily contemplating to go to uni of reading to study international business w a placement year at Henley business school, I’ve done the reading scholars programme which gave me two grades boundary below and a contextual offer and would like to know if it’s a uni employers go for, I’m not too fussed on on diversity and student life but just more on the course, prestige and if it’s better then business school like Leeds, Bristol and nottingham

Hey @Champagnebj

Wow, go you! Sounds like you've done a fab job at getting experience and being proactive, and a huge congratulations on the lowering of the offer.

I'd say to think about what you want in a career, and what you want in your university too - what's important to you? What did you think when you did the scholars programme? Did you feel like Reading was a place you could see yourself at?

Whilst Henley Business school is a respected school and has links to many great organisations in and around London which may interest you in working with in your placement year, (you can read more about this here), and I could tell you many great things about the school, it may be best to chat to a current student who has experienced studying there firsthand - there is a list of people you can chat to directly that have all studied different courses within the school, here. I would also suggest not to get too bogged down with rankings and things; whilst these are important factors, it's more important to think about the course specifics and how they suit you. So does the course cover the type of modules you are interested in and the style of teaching you prefer? What about the way things are assessed? Then, also think about the university as a whole. 3/4 year is a long time to be somewhere, so you need to be happy there in order to get the best out of your experience! Do you feel like Reading is a place you can call home?

We would LOVE to see you here, but ultimately, it has to be what's best for you, so just a few things to think about while making your decision! We are so happy to answer any specific questions about the university you might have too, if that is helpful.

Hope this helps!

Skye :smile:
4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2

So I'll try to be as objective as possible as a graduate of Henley Business School (HBS), and I will be returning next week as a Ph.D. student.

In terms of its prestigiousness, HBS sits among the elite of business schools (circa 110) globally, which holds the 'triple crown accreditation' by the three major accreditation bodies. While these accreditation bodies often tie in with postgraduate and MBA programmes, they should give you some comfort in terms of the overall quality of the business school and academics. From my experience as an undergraduate student, the quality of the content, delivery, and assessment feedback were all very good.

Personally, I wouldn't be too hung up on employability statistics, particularly from UK employers. I'm seeing the days of candidate preference because they studied at a particular university diminish. However, I acknowledge that there are some exceptions, i.e., some start-up and challenger firms. I studied accounting as an undergraduate, trained at a Big 4 accounting firm, and became one of the assessors during the recruitment process, including assessment centres and final interviews. I was far more interested in hearing about their wider university experiences and extracurricular activities than their class or university ranking. That being said, if you are looking for a career overseas, particularly in the U.S., some of those Fortune 500 employers still place some emphasis on university eliteness. My career prior to starting my Ph.D. has taken me across five jurisdictions on three continents, and somehow I've always found someone senior who studied at Henley! Certainly, because of the reputation it holds, and also HBS is not only in Reading and Henley-on-Thames but also has campuses in Germany, Finland, Denmark, South Africa, Malta, and Malaysia. HBS has a very tight-knit alumni network and a fantastic portal called Henley Live, which brings current students and alumni together. Its mentoring programme can really help you connect with someone in a sector or organisation you have a real passion for and ensure you have a great journey to achieving your long-term career aspirations.

University choice is always a tough one (and a decision I don't miss making as a prospective undergraduate). The best advice I can give is to attend all the open days you can and scorecard them based on your personal criteria for what you are looking for. @UniofReading can probably advise on the next open days, which are normally the 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of October. Since you've completed the Reading Scholar's programme, I'm sure HBS would love to have you return as an undergraduate student in the next academic year! Nonetheless, whatever decision you make, I'm sure you'll make it a great success!

Hey @Champagnebj,
Building on Skye and @m.elliot's advice, we'd encourage you to come and check out our campuses on one of our Open Days on the 7th and 14th of October. When I was trying to decide on which uni to attend I found Open Days the most crucial part of my decision making process - obviously I knew I liked the course and it was great to learn a bit more about it, but I also got to meet staff and students, tour the campus and accommodation, and see all the facilities the uni had to offer, as well as its travel/town links. You can find out more about them and choose a day to book onto here!

If you have any other questions, please do let us know!
Kat
MA Diplomacy Student
Hey
I received an offer letter to study MSc Finance program from ICMA Henley Business school, so want to know after completing my graduation I'll be getting degree from Henley Business School or Uni of Reading ?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey
I received an offer letter to study MSc Finance program from ICMA Henley Business school, so want to know after completing my graduation I'll be getting degree from Henley Business School or Uni of Reading ?
Hey @Anonymous,

Congratulations! I believe your certificate will have both your school and university listed on it as Henley Business School is now part of the University of Reading, however your University is Reading so the University will bestow the certificate to you. Hope this helps!

Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending