The Student Room Group

"It is better to be violent..." Ghandi.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Qwertyuip

He wanted Indian independece. He got Indian independence. Pretty realistic imo.

Thanks for pointing that out. No idea what the hell that kid was talking about.
Reply 41
He wanted Indian independece. He got Indian independence. Pretty realistic imo.

He wanted a United India. D'oh.

He wanted India to return to rural farming and shun technology. D'oh.

He wanted India to be isolationist and not trade with foreign powers. D'oh.

He had a lot of nice notions and sure you can like him for that. But people who hold him up as a man with answers are deluded. Even the politicians at the time saw this.
I dont like him...

He was stuck in the WRONG time period...
Reply 43
Original post by Steevee

He had a lot of nice notions and sure you can like him for that. But people who hold him up as a man with answers are deluded. Even the politicians at the time saw this.

The unification required violence.
Reply 44
Original post by effofex
The unification required violence.

Huh?
Reply 45
Original post by Steevee
Huh?

I don't think Hyderabad and Goa would have just willingly joined the Union if war hadn't been declared by the Indian Government. Arguably Maharashtra too.
Reply 46
Original post by lucio123
what about these?

The one I cited is far more interesting than yours because it reflects both a side of Ghandi most people did not know about and that he his ideas were not just peace and love but something more complex and ambiguous.
Reply 47
Original post by SoulfulBoy
The one I cited is far more interesting than yours because it reflects both a side of Ghandi most people did not know about and that he his ideas were not just peace and love but something more complex and ambiguous.

he is not advocating violence. look at the quote closer/understand that, although non violence is KEY, sometimes self defence is neccesary!
Reply 48
Original post by effofex
I don't think Hyderabad and Goa would have just willingly joined the Union if war hadn't been declared by the Indian Government. Arguably Maharashtra too.

I'm talking about the Pakistan - India split tbh. I think we're at crossed wires.
Reply 49
Original post by Steevee
I'm talking about the Pakistan - India split tbh. I think we're at crossed wires.

No - it isn't about Pakistan. Hyderabad was an Islamic state at the time of independence in 1947 and refused to join the Union. The Indian Government couldn't tolerate that in the centre of it's territory, especially if it was reinforced by Western/Pakistani forces so it was invaded and the Nizam was exiled (see Operation Polo).

Likewise many coastal territories were still under Western control in 1947 (Diu, Daman, Mahé, Karaikal, Yanam, Pondicherry etc.). Some of these were surrendered to the Indian Government in the 1950s with no violence. Portugal did not hand over Goa and the Indian Government could not tolerate such a large area under Western control so it was invaded and taken (see Operation Vijay).
Reply 50
Original post by effofex
No - it isn't about Pakistan. Hyderabad was an Islamic state at the time of independence in 1947 and refused to join the Union. The Indian Government couldn't tolerate that in the centre of it's territory, especially if it was reinforced by Western/Pakistani forces so it was invaded and the Nizam was exiled (see Operation Polo).

Likewise many coastal territories were still under Western control in 1947 (Diu, Daman, Mahé, Karaikal, Yanam, Pondicherry etc.). Some of these were surrendered to the Indian Government in the 1950s with no violence. Portugal did not hand over Goa and the Indian Government could not tolerate such a large area under Western control so it was invaded and taken (see Operation Vijay).

Apologies, I thought you were talking about earlier sub-Indian conquests. You were talking in detail about the India-Pakistan times. I must admit I don't know too much of the detail as I've only really studied the issue so far as it involves Britain.
Original post by Bellissima
you said "violence is never the answer" an i gave an example where is IS the answer...

i don't really see how "violence is never the answer" can be misinterpreted/have deeper meaning, it is a pretty straightforward sentence.

If someone attacks you, then if you were to retaliate then it is no longer violence, as it is justified as self-defence. If you were the one attacking first, you are the one doing violence.

Seriously, quit while your ahead you have no idea what you are talking about. Try justifying that all types of violence is violence in a court room and you'll get laughed at for not knowing the difference between self-defence and violence.
Original post by Nixon's back
Just because it's Ghandi who said that doesn't mean he is right

violence is never the answer

Arab Spring??

Impotent bastard...
Original post by Chuck Norris
Are you SURE it was Ghandi that said that?

I believe it. I know, you wouldn't expect it, and I always assumed Ghandi was quite peace-loving. But you would really be surprised at the number of anti-semitic quotes you could find on him. Seemingly very out of character from most people's perceptions.
Reply 54
Original post by Bulbasaur
I believe it. I know, you wouldn't expect it, and I always assumed Ghandi was quite peace-loving. But you would really be surprised at the number of anti-semitic quotes you could find on him. Seemingly very out of character from most people's perceptions.

Not a fan of black people either. Actually wanted to increase segregation between blacks and Indians in south africa.
Reply 55
Original post by Steevee

I concede that he did want a United India, and that did not happen, but I don't think that it was an unrealistic expectation. At the time, putting aside religious differences for the freedom of your people, doesn't seem too unreasonable.

The second paragraph is bull****. He believed in that people should lead a simple life free from excess, I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say he wanted them to shun technology. With the rural farming bit, I don't really have a clue about that one, although I could perhaps see that as being a metaphor for the return to Indian culture pre-colonisation?

With the isolationism, can you really blame him? For hundreds of years India was divided up under the rule of these foriegn powers, it's hardly fair to say, "oh forgive and forget, come trade with us now". Besides, trading with the European powers was not necessarily in India's best interests.

He was an idealist. There is no question about that. But I think it's impossible to criticise him for being one. So much of what he was able to bring about, even if compromise had to be reached, was far beyond the imagination of most of the Indian populace at the time.
Reply 56
Also, for the love all that is holy, GANDHI not Ghandi!
Reply 57
Yep I saw this in the A-Team too.
Reply 58
I concede that he did want a United India, and that did not happen, but I don't think that it was an unrealistic expectation. At the time, putting aside religious differences for the freedom of your people, doesn't seem too unreasonable.

The second paragraph is bull****. He believed in that people should lead a simple life free from excess, I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say he wanted them to shun technology. With the rural farming bit, I don't really have a clue about that one, although I could perhaps see that as being a metaphor for the return to Indian culture pre-colonisation?

With the isolationism, can you really blame him? For hundreds of years India was divided up under the rule of these foriegn powers, it's hardly fair to say, "oh forgive and forget, come trade with us now". Besides, trading with the European powers was not necessarily in India's best interests.

He was an idealist. There is no question about that. But I think it's impossible to criticise him for being one. So much of what he was able to bring about, even if compromise had to be reached, was far beyond the imagination of most of the Indian populace at the time.

You might want to read up on his ideas about Ashrams. I think that's how it's spelt :colondollar: It's the whole reason he wasn't taken seriously as a political force by his contempories for the latter half of his life, or there abouts. He espoused a totally unworkable ideal.

Also, it was an unrealistic ideal, a united India. Considering the sectarian violence and the will of the people.

And yes, I think it is possible to criticise someone for being an idealist. especially when they attempt to present themselves as someone with legitimate answers.
Reply 59
Original post by Nixon's back
Just because it's Ghandi who said that doesn't mean he is right

I think that's kind of a given. The point is to evaluate what he i saying and critically evaluate it.

- Which I know you technically did, I'm just saying this part that is bold was a bit pointless....no offense....
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending