The Student Room Group

Language Paper 1 Question 2

Look in detail at this extract from lines 6 to 11 of the source:

What had awakened him was the noise from the storm: wind lashing the trees, rain on the rooftop, and thunder. He turned on the light with a sensation of being adrift in a boat, and pushed closer to the bulk of the large dog sleeping beside him. He pictured the roaring Pacific Ocean a few blocks from his house, spilling in furious waves against the rocks. He lay listening to the storm and thinking about the black bird and about his mother, waiting for the pounding in his chest to die down. He was still tangled in the images of his bad dream.

How does the writer use language here to describe the effects of the storm?
You could include the writer’s choice of:
words and phrases
language features and techniques
sentence forms.
MY ANSWER:
The writing is a figurative language to describe the effect of the storm as furious this is evident in the text through personification “wind lashing the trees”. The verb “lashing” suggests as if the wind were literally whipping the trees. In addition, the verb “Lashing “portrays an image of harmful punishment as If the trees were being punished in a violent way. This makes the reader feel sympathetic towards the boy due to the description of the storm being intense and ferocious as well as brings a sense of how the wind was in inferior of the trees and how the trees were hopeless.

I only wrote one.How much would you give.Any improvements.
embed your quotes and use tentative language eg The verb "lashing" COULD suggest this could make the reader
Reply 2
Original post by helpmeplz101

What had awakened him was the noise from the storm: wind lashing the trees, rain on the rooftop, and thunder. He turned on the light with a sensation of being adrift in a boat, and pushed closer to the bulk of the large dog sleeping beside him. He pictured the roaring Pacific Ocean a few blocks from his house, spilling in furious waves against the rocks. He lay listening to the storm and thinking about the black bird and about his mother, waiting for the pounding in his chest to die down. He was still tangled in the images of his bad dream.

words and phrases
sentence forms.
MY ANSWER:
The writing is a figurative language to describe the effect of the storm as furious this is evident in the text through personification “wind lashing the trees”. The verb “lashing” suggests as if the wind were literally whipping the trees. In addition, the verb “Lashing “portrays an image of harmful punishment as If the trees were being punished in a violent way. This makes the reader feel sympathetic towards the boy due to the description of the storm being intense and ferocious as well as brings a sense of how the wind was in inferior of the trees and how the trees were hopeless.

Finish it all off please (8 marks)
Reply 3
Original post by helpmeplz101

words and phrases
sentence forms.
MY ANSWER:

I think it would probally get a 3 or 4. But you defintley need to write much more. And if you wanna get higher marks be more perceptive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending