The Student Room Group

A level English lit help

Can someone please help me? Im in yr 13, test next week, got feedback, mainly my A02 is horrendous + A03(but thats rather easier).
Is there anything that could help me with my A02!!?!!
Reply 1
Original post by Elok
Can someone please help me? Im in yr 13, test next week, got feedback, mainly my A02 is horrendous + A03(but thats rather easier).
Is there anything that could help me with my A02!!?!!

Hey which exam board is this, and what type of essay?

My main advice would be to make sure that you never quote anything that you don't have at least one AO2 point for. For example, there's not much more to add about a quote like "she had never been so sad", whereas you can expand better on something that involves simile, metaphor, anaphora, tricolon, alliteration, irony, interesting vocab, etc. You don't always need the fancy terms, but they can be helpful!

When it comes to learning quotations, try and come up with at least on AO2 point per quotation, to make sure you can always expand on what you've written.

Bad sentence (Statement + Quote):
Shakespeare makes this a powerful moment by presenting Edmund as a character frustrated by his rank, and indignant that he is less fortunate than his brother through no fault of his own, an idea apparent when he asks "Why brand they us with base? with baseness? Ba5tardy? Base, base?"

Good sentence (Statement + Quote + Analysis):
Shakespeare makes this a powerful moment by presenting Edmund as a character frustrated by his rank, and indignant that he is less fortunate than his brother through no fault of his own, an idea apparent when he asks "Why brand they us with base? with baseness? Ba5tardy? Base, base?". Here, the repeated rhetorical questions reflect Edmund's desperation, whilst the polyptoton of "base", "baseness" and "Ba5tardy" creates an insistent tone. Further, the monosyllabic repetition of "Base" and use of short questions increases the sense of impatience achieved in this soliloquy.

Does that help at all? Basically make sure you have analysis points to make about all your quotes, and then make sure you make your point, give your quote and then break down WHY that quote demonstrates what you have said. It might be helpful to think about needing a sort of mini topic sentence for every single quote!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Hello thanks. I didn't know if anyone would reply(I didn't check till now) and can anyone show me like a list of English techniques if anyone has any? because I feel like I lack in that department- and repeat 'symbolise' for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending