The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 3 - Religion - 23th Jan 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Sociology Unit 3 - Religion - 23th Jan 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more.

So here are some notes for Unit 3

The DOC : SCLY3 is from Noodelz from this site

the other one is mine :smile:

If you know what will come up or have any questions post here :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m doing this exam! :smile:

Does anyone have any tips for the 33 marker? We did a mock in class and I only got 17/33.. granted this was without revision so I didn’t really know what I was talking about but I think it’s more to do with the way I’m structuring it. I need to get an A in this subject and my 9 and 18 mark questions are on target, it’s just the 33 marker that’s letting me down :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by -Haz-

Does anyone have any tips for the 33 marker? We did a mock in class and I only got 17/33.. granted this was without revision so I didn’t really know what I was talking about but I think it’s more to do with the way I’m structuring it. I need to get an A in this subject and my 9 and 18 mark questions are on target, it’s just the 33 marker that’s letting me down :frown:

thats good without revison - just revise and you understand more points - therfore write more points and get more marks !:smile:
Reply 3
dudes, I seriously need help with science and ideologies ?!
Reply 4
Original post by lilly0000

use the notes ? ask ur teacher i dont think that will come in the exam tbh
Reply 5
Hey, i just wanted to know for me to able to put myself in a good position to get an A* overall would i need an A* in this January exam and if so what are the grade boundaries.
Reply 6
hey i was just wundering does anybody have any predictions of what might come up in the exam ?? :/ ?? x
Reply 7
Original post by Mevii
hey i was just wundering does anybody have any predictions of what might come up in the exam ?? :/ ?? x

My teacher seems to think postmodernism is going to come up. I think globalisation.
Reply 8
Tbh I think SCIENCE is coming up also NRMS :/
Hi guys. Does anyone have any general tips for the exam technique?

Also, well done OP, good set of notes!
Reply 10
Now I’ve got my first exam over with I’m going to start some serious revision for this exam. All I’ve done so far is made a few notes from the CGP book and made some revision cards. I find it really hard to revise for sociology though because the questions are so vague and they could ask us anything. How is everyone else revising?
Reply 11
Hi guys
- whats everyones guess' on whats going to come up this year ?

i think it may be somthing to do with secularisation perhaps!
i do hope its not science and ideology!:confused:
Reply 12
o and is everyone pretty much upto date with their whole revision or do we still have loads to do yet?!
Reply 13
Original post by whattheheck
Hi guys. Does anyone have any general tips for the exam technique?

Also, well done OP, good set of notes!

Reply 14
Original post by lilly0000

heres a few things i wud add for a question on this:::

Theoeris of ideology>>>
- Marxist: - MARX - ruling ideas ideology = "false consciousness" for the working class" - it gets them to beleive that the system and their position within it are both fair and mystify their picture of reality! "oi you stay where you are"
- GRAMSCI- Hegemony : these ideas dont just rule (they dominate) ruling class ideas become the "common sense of the age" this ideology then becomes entrenched in all areas of social life (inc. religion) thus making it difficult to challenge.

- Feminist: - Beavoir/El - Saadawi = ideologyf ideas that keep women oppressed (strengthen patriarchal soceity)

Manheim: - 2 types: 1) set of beliefs used to justify and perpetuate an existing social order (ruling class ideology)
2) a utopian set of beliefs about how the world could be organised in the future - (tend to be formed by oppressed who seek radical change).

Science:
Dawkins: science = is good - can be tested whilst religion = "Unverifiable rubbish"
Popper: - Scientists should use the deductive approach and falsification ie. whilst always trying to find support for existing scientific discoveries - scientists should set out to refute these and find counter-evidence!
Gomm: theories scientists come out with are a product of their social context and so scientists try to prove these (rather than falsify them)/

KUHN: - Scientists - work in a paradigm - a framework of accepted ideas - and try to work within these and seek evidence to support .

hope this helps _ remember this is merely a brief summary - and obv. there will be tons of more names !!!:K:
I don't really know what to expect but my teacher seems to think Globalisation and Science & Ideologies may come up :frown: Those are my weakest parts.

I wish something about religion and social stability or instability comes up as the essay question though
Reply 16
Thank you ! omg I think something about ethnicity is going to come up as the 19 marker ! but yeah Science and Ideologies defoo is gonna come up as the 33 marker ! what does every1 else think will come up as the 19 marker. Honestly brickin it!
Reply 17
Original post by -Haz-

Original post by -Haz-

HEYYYYY (:
I can help (:
Basically, the reason you didn't get more than 17 marks is because you didn't include any criticisms or use other theories to evaluate your discussion/argument. Or you didn't provide a counter arguement. Contemporary examples can really boost your grade too (: like, MAHOOSIVELY (:

_____

Oooooo, also for the 33 marks questions, you HAVE to include a short introduction and a short conclusion, whilst the 18 mark questions require you to just go straight into writing your answer.

The 18 marker is a short essay answer.

The 33 mark is a long essay answer that requires evaluation and interpretation (A02) to get the higher marks (:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Hey, I was looking through past papers and something on perspectives has ALWAYS come up. Does that mean there will always be a 33 marker on perspectives as well as one on other topics?
Reply 19
What do you think will come up

Just spent an hour ish trying to find out what was in the June 2011 Paper - and I found it :smile:

June 2011 - Fundamentalism: 9 marks
Social change: 18
Secularisation: 33 marks -----Or ---
NRM 33 marks

Phew ! So what do you think is going to come up now? ( Really want Secularisation :frown: i find it very good ) - Any Ideas ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending